Pictures of KI or tower being Built?

2011Beast

I used to sit in the lunch room at Kings watching the tower being constructed but I have no pictures of it. I have pictures of the park in 1972 that I am in the process scanning and will post as soon as I complete the scans.

Mike

Did it look anything like this?

NewspaperKIConstruction.jpg

My Dad once told me that the tower was built using Boeing Chinook helicopters. I've always tried to imagine what it must have looked like (being that it was completed about the time I was 2, so I don't remember seeing the unfinished tower). I've drawn pictures of the thing since I was 3 (the above is my latest, although a composite of several elements, the welders are my own little touch). I can't wait to see the real thing.

All the Best,

Eric

Thanks, Dane. ACE members can be very passionate people when it comes to Kings Island and coasters and other parks - and the industry as a whole. I find other ACErs to be a neat bunch, several of whom I have made very good friends with. While there are a few exceptions, and I believe they are rare, ACE members follow the rules and are some of the most responsible park guests - not to mention the most excited and colorful people to visit KI. Not to mention, Kings Island staff, for decades, has bent over backwards for ACE, and they continue to do so as a means of gratitude.

Speaking of the original topic on hand, I have seen a few old films of KI being built, and its grand opening in April 1972. I also saw a few pictures of the Eiffel Tower being built, at least one of them in a book at the Cincinnati Public Library.

I used to sit in the lunch room at Kings watching the tower being constructed but I have no pictures of it. I have pictures of the park in 1972 that I am in the process scanning and will post as soon as I complete the scans.

Mike

Did it look anything like this? :P Seriously, though, My Dad once told me that the tower was built using Boeing Chinook helicopters, and not tower cranes. Is that how they did it?

KingsIslandUnderConstruction2.jpg

I do not recall helicopters being used to construct the tower but regular crane and iron workers putting one steel beam at a time. Iron workers work really fast once all the foundation work has been completed and they have no fear of heights. I only recall seeing helicopters being used to lift heavy ac units and when constructing power line towers and TV/radio towers. Then the type of copers used are Sky Cranes. Helos cost lots of labor dollars and usage fees to use. A Chinook can lift a steel beam but i do not recall a whole section of tower being raised in this manner or with a tower crane.

Mike

In t he quick and brief pictures in the 20th Anniversary Special, you can see a crane in the background of a rusty red looking incomplete Eiffel Tower. You can also see the full crane and the same unpainted tower in the background of the video of The Racer being built.

I just watched it this morning. These images are shown when referring to the closing of Coney Island and the New Kings Island being built in Kings Mills.

I usually try to be just another Kings Island Fan. Meaning I don't want to get too involved and send people articles directly. But I can see someone wanting to see this image. Granted it is a fast video and you really have to pause it to get to see everything.

But, if anyone is interested in seeing the Kings Island 20th Anniversary Special starring Jason Priestly, send me a message, and I will post the movie online, or send it to you exclusively.

I don't honestly expect that many people have kept this episode for this many years. I got lucky enough to stumble across my recording several months ago, right after joining this site. Since then, I have preserved it onto a d.v.d. along with a video of my last trip to the original WinterFest.

m.f.