Potterland?

I'm sorry, but I thought after the second movie, HP was just really boring and uninspired. Plus, it looks like she stole her character idea of Harry from The Pagemaster starring McCauley Caulkin from 1994. Plus, all of the plots are nearly identical...someone is being evil...you are lead to think it's one person, then turns out to be someone else. It's definitely predictable.

If you're basing your opinion of the series on the movies, then it's no surprise you dislike it. I've maintained from the start (I was already a huge HP fan when the first movie came out, which many people find surprising, given my age) that the movies are absolutely horrible. The only thing I can give them credit for, is that they gave me faces to associate with the characters in the novels, and gave me a better picture of the Hogwarts castle and grounds.

I still go to the theater to see every movie on the night it opens, despite me not thinking highly of the movies at all. But if you want to experience the good side of the Harry Potter series, do yourself a favor and sit down with the seven books. They are truly worth all the hype that has sprang from them. What I love about them is the level of detail that Rowling includes. At any point while reading the books I feel like I could close the book, walk down the street, and hang out with these kids i've been reading about. Her books make me feel like i've known these kids personally all my life.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but I thought after the second movie, HP was just really boring and uninspired. Plus, it looks like she stole her character idea of Harry from The Pagemaster starring McCauley Caulkin from 1994. Plus, all of the plots are nearly identical...someone is being evil...you are lead to think it's one person, then turns out to be someone else. It's definitely predictable.

WOW, thank heavens that millions of people around the world disagree with that point of view.

And thank heavens there are also that many ppl who agree... I personally hate this move... Never been a fan... I just can't do the whole fantasy sci-fi thing. My years of college being a communications major has made me pay attention to the cgi effects and the realism of movies... altho i will admit i hate it. since now i'm constantly watching a movie going "that doesn't happen in real life! they shoulda done it like this..." but ugh this is just too much for me. I'm not a fan of the cult movies (minus the original cult classic Rocky Horror Picture Show, but thats not a series so it doesn't count) But star wars doesn't have a park (that i know of) Lord of the Rings, etc. I mean it just seems a little too much over the top for me... and i'm hoping and praying i can get on Dueling Dragons before they mess it up.

And the quote from the site where it says people can't go and see hogwarts. Ummm.. yes they can, I've been there. its Oxford University in England. And those people honestly HATE IT b/c kids and adults alike believe its all real and can't seperate fantasy from real life. I only went since i wanted to see Cambridge lol.

Too bad I'm going to Disney World next year, which I hate Disney. I so badly want to go to Universal!

This is probably already answered somehow, but is this Potter World place (or whatever you call it) gonna be a totally separate place? Like Islands Of Adventure, and Universal - is it separate from the rest of the park?

Too bad I'm going to Disney World next year, which I hate Disney. I so badly want to go to Universal!

This is probably already answered somehow, but is this Potter World place (or whatever you call it) gonna be a totally separate place? Like Islands Of Adventure, and Universal - is it separate from the rest of the park?

No, its going to be inside Islands of Adventure where Lost Island or whatever it was called is.

• 2 months later...
This project looks simply amazing.

I really hope it will meet my expectations!

It really is starting to look amazing and its going together very, very quickly now. When I was at IOA with Ryan two weeks ago, I was floored by the progress that had been made since my visit just a week before he came down. Rumors are starting to circulate that the first phase of the project could be opening in January.....which by all accounts would be the area surrounding Dueling Dragons. I am impressed that they have kept Dragons open. The Castle queue line is ENTIRELY closed off and has been for quite sometime....you enter via the exit (which is still serving as the exit as well). Its an absolute mess and I hope that they have a different plan for the huge Christmas crowds, but at least the ride has remained open for its change over.

- Todd

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A very negative pre-review of Wizarding World Of Harry Potter, from a decidedly non-theme park junky viewpoint:

http://www.blackbook...ppointing/15543

See also the USAToday article cited therein:

http://www.usatoday....ter-preview.htm

This is probably a good time to point out that posting a link to, and/or quotations from, other sources does not imply that The Interpreter in any way agrees with, or disagrees with, the article(s)...

I looked at the blackbook review. Kind of hard to take a review seriously when they use curse words (word)in the article. I don't mean to sound like a prude or anything. I have one of the worst "potty mouths" on the face of the Earth, but it isn't professional. It certainly doesn't help make a point. It just makes me feel like an 8 year old was sitting down and typing on the family computer, constantly looking over his shoulder hoping Mom doesn't catch him! LOL

I love the reader comments below that Black Book article. They expressed exactly how I feel about the article. I'm not a Harry Potter fan (yet). I've always planned to read all the books once all have been published, but I haven't had time to read since GatorGirl was born! I had the same idea with the movies, see all of them once their all completed. And I will see them all before I go back to IOA, just so I can appreciate the new world there!

i was down there over winter. they were really moving fast to get everything done. i'd expect them to hit the target date in the spring.

It is going around that Hogsmeade Village and such will open as early as March 1.....though its starting to also go around now that the actual ride may NOT be ready to open until June 1. Remember, Spring is a very vague time frame so they do have all the way up through June :-)

- Todd

This Potter themed part of Universal is going to be awesome!! I am also excited because, my school band is going on a trip to Disney this coming thanksgiving, adn this year they decided to add in universal!! I am really hoping that it is up and ooperating by then, and that we get to go and see all of the new attractions.

I thought the show building for the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride was big from the ground level--it looks even more massive from the air!

Speaking of which, have there been any detailed rumors anywhere of exactly what this ride is expected to be like? I know it uses the new "robot arm" simulator vehicle, but I've heard very few details about the ride itself. (This seems to be a very well kept secret this time around...)

I was there in late January and thought at the time late March for a soft opening seemed like a stretch, but who knows... (I'm frequently impressed by how quickly the later stages of construction can move--especially with motivated management.)

I thought the show building for the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride was big from the ground level--it looks even more massive from the air!

Speaking of which, have there been any detailed rumors anywhere of exactly what this ride is expected to be like? I know it uses the new "robot arm" simulator vehicle, but I've heard very few details about the ride itself. (This seems to be a very well kept secret this time around...)

I was there in late January and thought at the time late March for a soft opening seemed like a stretch, but who knows... (I'm frequently impressed by how quickly the later stages of construction can move--especially with motivated management.)

I agree, the show building is a lot more impressive looking from the air....too bad it still looks horrible from Jurassic Park :-( There hasn't been much leaked about the ride itself that I've seen. Just what you mentioned about the Kuka arm and simulator. I hope with them being so secretive regarding the attraction, it isn't setting itself up to be somewhat of a disappointment to people. I've had friends ask me when the Harry Potter theme park is opening, then I explain that its not a park but really rather just a retheming of an existing section of IoA....you can hear a bit of disappointment in their voice.

In any event, the ride is rumored to not be opening until late May / early June but the it keeps getting around from several places that the soft opening for the area in general will be late March / early April. They are saying Dragons is going down at the end of the month for final transformation. Since your visit, the walls have been taken in even FURTHER in the Dragons queue. You literally walk through a tunnel that is about 5 feet wide now that serves as the ENTRANCE and EXIT pathway of the attraction as you cross over the bridge....its a flippin' mess. Supposedly they are behind schedule but are using whatever means they can to speed construction up. I was at the park this afternoon, it was absolutely pouring rain but they were still out on the rooftops and such working.

On a final note....Ripsaw is down for what looks like a MAJOR refurb!! Scaffolding is up all over the front of the attraction and it seems as if its getting some MUCH needed TLC. They have setup a wall blocking the entire area actually, which would seem to indicate that it will be a lengthy down time. So happy to see this, as the ride truly was looking incredibly ran down in some places.

- Todd