Run Kings Island

RailRider

If I recall correctly, they planned to have this event last year but it was canceled. Glad to see that they are having it this year. Hopefully it will be a huge success. If you are interested, you might want to register early, as space is limited (according to the website).

im thinking about it but not sure weather to classify myself as a cruiser or a race walker.

I currently register as a cruiser, with any 5k that I do. Hoping to someday be able to participate and not have to classify that way, so that I can be in my age category. Just limited by weight currently, but that is slowly changing.

As a cruiser you can run but as a race walker you must walk the entire event.

If I recall correctly, they planned to have this event last year but it was canceled. Glad to see that they are having it this year. Hopefully it will be a huge success. If you are interested, you might want to register early, as space is limited (according to the website).

That's right. I was all ready to go last year and then it was canceled. Glad to see it coming back. Last year I probably could have jogged the whole thing. This year I'm not sure if I'm up to it, but I'm getting there. This will help me get in shape for my wedding in November.

Actually for most events like this the registration fee is very similar to this. Look at the Music City Marathon or even the Disney Marathons for examples. Also for non seasson pass holders you receive a ticket for entry in to the park for the day. Not bad at all in my opinion.

Actually for most events like this the registration fee is very similar to this. Look at the Music City Marathon or even the Disney Marathons for examples. Also for non seasson pass holders you receive a ticket for entry in to the park for the day. Not bad at all in my opinion.

Right. The one I used to always run was the Turkey Trot in Miamisburg. It's $17 for the entry fee. A ticket to KI is $33 so it evens out if you think of it that way. Plus it looks like you'll get a lot more swag with the KI thing.

Wow, I SO read that wrong. I was thinking "Run KI for a day? They are letting some random person take over the park for a day?" My mind isn't right today.. but then again, when is it? :lol:

I thought the same thing Giga... I only run, (walk quickly) to get on the next coaster in the park. B)

This is why I'm so impressed with Cedar Fair. They're putting in all these great events paramount would have never thought of. Good job Kinzel ;)

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Back in the Paramount days they held a similar event which was an annual walk that benefited the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, as well as events for Adventure for Wish Kids (now known as A Kid Again) and the long-standing AAA Orphan's Outing. As far as I can see, Run Kings Island benefits no one but Cedar Fair. But they did do a good job for A Kid Again this year with the Diamondback auction!

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow, I'm running in the 10k race which is part of the Flying Pig Marathon weekend. The main reason I'm doing it as to help a buddy out. Over the past 16 months he has lost about 75 lbs. from 350 to 275. He's 6'4", so at 275, he's looking pretty good. Anyway, his long term goal is to get to 235. He ran the 10k at Thanksgiving, and he uses these races as incentives to keep working out. On Thanksgiving, he ran the 10k in 1 hour and 19 minutes. I'm going to try to push him tomorrow to get his time down to 1 hour and 10 minutes.

If successful, I'm going to try to get him to sign up for the 10k at KI, with a goal of 1 hour. Personally, I run 2-4 x a week. for the purpose of staying in shape and keeping the weight off - not for running in/competing in events. However, if I can continue to help him lose weight and get in shape, I'm all for it.