SeaWorld's Manta -- NOW OPEN

Honestly those of you that are arguing about Mantas splash and Diamondbacks splashdown need to sit down, and chill.

So who cares that Manta does not have a legit splashdown, it still looks stunning, as does Diamondbacks. Now those of you that think Diamondbacks splashdown is utterly pointless, the fact of the matter is, your right! It is pointless, but so is Mantas. Nether of these rides needed to have any interaction with water, but they do and because of that each ride is unique in its own way. Every time I am in line at Diamondback I always hear oo's and ah's as the train skims over the water. It is pleasant to look at and gets the people in line excited. Manta does the same, from what I have seen in videos it looks quite elegant so I can only imagine what it looks like in person.

And for those that say you DO get wet on Diamondback, if by that you mean a very light haze of mist and maybe a grazing on the side of your shirt that drys off in five minutes, then yes, you do get wet. Other that that, the splashdown adds nothing to Diamondback, or Sheikra, Griffon, or Manta for that matter. But ask yourself, doesn't the look much more appealing with these effects? As for landscaping, of course Sea World is going to make the area look as great as it can, remember they are competing with mouse!

Basically what I'm trying to say, trying to compare and argue Kings Island and ANY park in Florida is IMHO, outrageous and a waste of time.

Many have noted you DO get wet in some seats on Diamondback...

I'm hearing that about the back seats. Still, for the most part, you wouldn't know you were even splashing through the water. I'll get back to you on Friday :-)

Yes you would know because you are getting wet, even if it's just a little.

Thats the thing I dont' understand about Diamondbacks splash down....its perhaps the most pointless one created as it does nothing to intereact with guests and I'm sure you barely notice it on the ride itself.....cause you don't notice it on Sheikra or Griffon.

On Diamondback you notice the splashdown. In the back you get soaked if you turn around or lift you hands up, if you just sit there you'll get misted. In the front it looks like you are actually in the water and from the middle you see it from the sides and because of the great seating you see it ahead of you. Although non-riders can't get wet from the splashdown, they love watching it and is a great sight! And also, on SheiKra I certainly noticed the splashdown, but I have yet to visit BGE. And lastly Mantas is more un-useful as Diamondback's cause Riders don't get soaked, and either do on-lookers, and the trains don't even really touch the water, it's about the same as Backlot Stunt Coaster's.

Even in the middle of the train you manage to get misted on. I don't know how but both times I have gotten misted on. As far as Manta's being like BLSC, NO WAY in HE!! they are similar. Manta's looks way better and more real. Also, BLSC's is just three little jets spraying out.

Thats the thing I dont' understand about Diamondbacks splash down....its perhaps the most pointless one created as it does nothing to intereact with guests and I'm sure you barely notice it on the ride itself.....cause you don't notice it on Sheikra or Griffon.

On Diamondback you notice the splashdown. In the back you get soaked if you turn around or lift you hands up, if you just sit there you'll get misted. In the front it looks like you are actually in the water and from the middle you see it from the sides and because of the great seating you see it ahead of you. Although non-riders can't get wet from the splashdown, they love watching it and is a great sight! And also, on SheiKra I certainly noticed the splashdown, but I have yet to visit BGE. And lastly Mantas is more un-useful as Diamondback's cause Riders don't get soaked, and either do on-lookers, and the trains don't even really touch the water, it's about the same as Backlot Stunt Coaster's.

Having ridden Sheikra numerous times, the splash itself is very much unnoticeable from being on the ride itself. Spectators, yes, very much interactive. Skimming the water is cool, but in no way do you really notice the big wave behind you. You DO get wet on Manta's splashdown, apparently you haven't been reading. Its MORE effective on Manta as while you are banked on your side.....the water is literally splashing just a foot or so in front of your face. I'm pretty sure that my left side was wet from Manta's waterfall today and pretty sure my right side was wet from the splashdown.....having ridden the ride well over 40 times in the past 2 weeks I think I can accurately speak about what it does. <_< To be fair, I'll be riding Diamondback on Friday, but since its essentially the same setup as the Dive Coasters.....I see no reason for it to be any different than Sheikra. Next thing you know someone is going to be arguing that Diamondback has better landscaping :blink:

Actually, the area around the Diamondback splashsown does have some landscaping and once it grows out, it will look pretty sweet B) . Also, Rivertown does have some beastly landscaping, and a Beast :lol: .

Manta had people's hopes up SO high that it easily could end up being a flop, especially if theming isn't taken into account.

Based upon the initial reactions from guests at the Park, the readers over at TPR, and the various newspaper articles that have surfaced since it had its soft opening Saturday, so far that is not being the case at all....in fact for the most part the attraction has exceeded people's expectations.....it certainly did mine and that doesn't happen very often. For a change, essentially everything in the artist renderings actually came to reality in the final product. The entire thing is absolutely stunning.

As for the landscaping issue, of course Kings Island can't hold a candle to the Florida parks and I don't expect them too.....but once upon a time they did. Its just sad that since Backlot Stunt Coaster, or whatever the hell its called these days, went in that entire half of the Park has been gutted of pretty much any beauty and all trees. That part of the Park was always so gorgeous. But oh well. Yes, SeaWorld has the Mouse to contend with......but what excuse does Busch Gardens Williamsburg have? Its one of the most beautiful parks in the country and the same quality that SeaWorld has put forth in Manta is also evident in Williamsburg....and they have no Mouse to compete with.

Discussing the splashdown on Manta wasn't meant to start a debate, it was a simple statement. I agree with you, Nemo, that the splashdowns on Diamondback, Sheikra and Griffon do nothing to enhance the rider experience. Thus the reason I pointed it out on Manta, because this is the first one that I've ridden that actually *does* enhance the rider experience and serve a purpose. It continues the theme and story behind the entire attraction and is just another way of tieing it all together.

Of course some guests will misbehave. But, being Busch (like Disney and Universal), any damage will be immediately repaired, and any vandal caught will be prosecuted. Keeping things in good order also helps to discourage others from damaging things, by showing that others, including the owner, respect what is there.

I took the family to Busch Gardens, Europe last year, and I agree that KI cannot hold a candle to that park when it comes to beauty and appearance. However, I was very impressed with the aesthetic improvements KI made to Rivertown and the areas around Diamondback. If they can continue to beautify one area of the park each year, then while it may still lag behind BGE, it will certainly be something in which KI can be proud.

I just wanted to add that the Diamondback splashdown is quite impressive visually. While it does not seem quite as voluninous as the splashdown from Griffon, it is still quite impressive. So, while it may not add much to the ride experience (I cannot say from experience), it certainly adds to the spectator experience. My kids and I watched it several times from different vantage points. Perhpas in the future, KI could add an area that would make the splashdown more interactive with onlookers.

Not sure if you follow TPR, but some excellent pictures have been posted showcasing more of the theming and the queue with aquarium. Right up your alley!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewt...&start=1780

The park held a small media event this morning, video from WESH can be found here www.wesh.com/video/19377568/index.html

And of course the Orlando Sentinel http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_orlando/manta/

Non-Rider side of aquarium to open sometime this week!

Not sure if you follow TPR, but some excellent pictures have been posted showcasing more of the theming and the queue with aquarium. Right up your alley!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewt...&start=1780

The park held a small media event this morning, video from WESH can be found here www.wesh.com/video/19377568/index.html

And of course the Orlando Sentinel http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_orlando/manta/

Non-Rider side of aquarium to open sometime this week!

Thank you for those wonderful links WOW!!!! Just WOW!!!! I for one am really excited about Manta and the theme surrounding it. When Diamondback opened I rode with someone who cried about being so exited about riding a new thrill coaster. I used to to get pretty excited about a new thrill ride and I really like Diamondback, but theme is importante to me these days and Manta has gotten me as excited as I have gotten in a long time. I am also looking forward to see how the Rip Ride Rocket Coaster turns out.

Delerium_guy I know you have a long history of visiting parks and when you say it is good and it meets your aproval (especailly knowing how you count theme as part of your review) I know it is a winner. I will look forward to your review of Diamondback too.

So is the entire line inside or just the ending portion of it?

The queue begins outside, actually the entrance is the rock formation that houses the fly-by waterfall. You enter through the rocks, with the waterfall crashing on the otherside. As you wait there, the train does cause water from the waterfall to come through the cave and spray those queued up. When you leave the cave, you cross a small wooden bridge over the lagoon that immediately leads to the aquarium building. From there, you are inside all the way until you board the ride. The entire queue is completely immersive. As it begins, you are treated to small glimpses of the aquarium however as you progress through the queue the windows become larger.....ultimately leading to the big viewing window.. Aside from the main tank, there are 4 other aquariums in the rider's side of the queue that are unique and specific to the rider side ONLY. Likewise, there are special features on the non-rider side such as the overhead viewing area of the rays and the cool aquarium with the octopus, which allows it to travel through a tube to a second adjoining tank.

Yes Avatar, I enjoy a good thrill ride like you do.....Maverick, Superman @ SFNE, El Toro, some of my favorites. To be honest, Manta is going to find a home in my top 10 steel coasters, just haven't figured out exactly where. If the ride were standing alone, it'd be great and a ton of fun. However, the way that the coaster is worked into the Park and how it plays with the existing surroundings and water really do put it over the top. Combine that with the absolutely beautiful queue, surrounding village area, and an amazing soundtrack that the Park has sprung for makes it, hands down, my favorite coaster in Florida. There isn't anything even close to it in the state or anywhere really.

Rockit is sure to be a fun ride when it opens, but don't expect much theming with it. What you've seen so far is pretty much it. Rockit, also, was due to open Memorial Day the same time as Manta's Grand Opening. As I understand it though, Universal is dropping a pretty penny in the X-Car trains and Maurer is having very little to do with them other than providing the basic hardware. Universal is creating customized headrests, etc for it in house. They were able to finally finish completing the track, so a good sign that the issue they had has been solved.

Manta had people's hopes up SO high that it easily could end up being a flop, especially if theming isn't taken into account.

Haha you wanna talk about a ride that had people's hopes up high look at KI and Diamondback. While I would not consider it anywhere near a flop, it for me at least was a bit of a letdown, Manta however looks like a winner just based on its spectacular theming alone. If you take away Diamondbacks theming your left with.........well wait there isn't much theming to begin with is there :unsure:

Haha you wanna talk about a ride that had people's hopes up high look at KI and Diamondback. While I would not consider it anywhere near a flop, it for me at least was a bit of a letdown, Manta however looks like a winner just based on its spectacular theming alone. If you take away Diamondbacks theming your left with.........well wait there isn't much theming to begin with is there :unsure:

Wow, an honest opinion from someone, thank you. I've ridden all the B&M hypers, I have my expectations for Diamondback, which aren't much. The B&M hypers are a bit too smooth and controlled for my taste.....fun but nothing spectacular for me. With that said, I'm not judging D-back, am very excited to try it out Friday and always ride with an open mind. I'll get back to ya with my opinion :-) Likewise, I had my expectations for Manta too. I figured it'd be a fun ride, better than Superman, but still just the gimmicky flyer. Certainly got way more than that, exceeded expectations in absolutely EVERY aspect. That seems to be the general opinion so far is that no one expected it to turn out *this* well. BEC parks have always been held to a higher standard and people know it, but they've raised the bar for themselves with this one.

Wow, an honest opinion from someone, thank you. I've ridden all the B&M hypers, I have my expectations for Diamondback, which aren't much. The B&M hypers are a bit too smooth and controlled for my taste.....fun but nothing spectacular for me. With that said, I'm not judging D-back, am very excited to try it out Friday and always ride with an open mind. I'll get back to ya with my opinion :-) Likewise, I had my expectations for Manta too. I figured it'd be a fun ride, better than Superman, but still just the gimmicky flyer. Certainly got way more than that, exceeded expectations in absolutely EVERY aspect. That seems to be the general opinion so far is that no one expected it to turn out *this* well. BEC parks have always been held to a higher standard and people know it, but they've raised the bar for themselves with this one.

I hope Busch Gardens will get a new ride soon. IMO Shiekra didn't live up to the hype around it. It's a fun coaster but it's nowhere near number one. When I go to Florida in June I think my top spot might go to Manta. And Rockit may fit in somewhere in my top 5.

Before the InBev buyout, they were strongly rumored to be receiving a B&M Speed Coaster along the lines of Apollo....more or less an out-n-back in a pretty narrow strip of land. Who knows now. Thats a ride that is very much needed there though, as most of the big steel coasters are loop so it'd be something a bit different. Sheikra is a lot of fun, no doubt, but its not the end all be all either. To me, it rides about like the Nitro's, Apollos and Raging Bulls do.....super smooth, pretty forceless. It was a great addition for them though, the Park gets a TON of attention down here with that ride because the unique nature of it. Although not as detailed as Manta, they did a tremendous job with the placement and theming of the area....I love the interaction the ride has with the walkways, especially the splashdown, and how it interacts with the Smokehouse.

• 2 weeks later...

SeaWorld held its official Media Day for Manta yesterday, despite the incredible amounts of rainfall we have received the last week. Avatar, you definitely wanna check out the video, some more detailed information in it. Ride is officially open as of today, though storms kept both it and Kraken grounded for most of the day.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewt...&start=1860

I cant wait to get to Orlando and try this new ride out. I'm in Naples so it would be about 3-4 hours from me. That ride looks amazing so does Rip Rockit at Universal as well. Hopefully I will get up there and try both of them. I also agree with the few people who talked about Sheikra that is a good coaster but not great. Neither parks have enough coasters but what they have are good.

Mischa.