Coney now closed; Celebrates 125th birthday in 2011

CoastersRZ

Yesterday marked the successful conclusion of the Fall O Ween Festival at Coney Island. As such, yesterday was the last official day that Coney`s rides were open for the season.

Sunlite Pool and Coney`s classic rides re-open on Memorial Day weekend, 2011. 2011 marks the 125th birthday for Coney Island. For those interested in commemerating the historic milestone, Coney is selling commemorative bricks that will be placed around Sunlite Pool. Anyone who purchases a brick will receive two tickets to a private party at Sunlite Pool on the evening of Friday, May 27th. For more information on this visit Coney`s website here: http://coneyislandpark.com/upcoming_events.php?nID=21. The official birthday for Cony is June 21st, 1886. As such, the 100th anniversary time capsule that was placed in front of Moonlite gardens (as seen in this picture), will be uncovered.

We had a great time there yesterday for Fall-O-Ween. We got there about 1:00 and stayed until the end. Perfect weather for it too. We didn't get too many rides in, but that's alright becuase we spent a lot of time doing all the Halloween stuff. We started out with the kiddie rides for GatorGirl, did all of the Halloween events, and then squeezed in a few rides at the end of the day. Now that I know what the ring is for I got the 2nd most intense ride of my life on Rock-O-Planes (the most intense being when we rode it at Lesourdesville Lake and the ride op wasn't loading/unloading it properly, and kept us on for far too long. That time wasn't enjoyable in the least, but yesterday's ride was excellent). We got the last ride of the season on Ferris Wheel! :P

Ride count for yesterday - Ferris Wheel 1, Giant Slide 2, Rock-O-Planes 1, Tilt-A-Whirl 1, Trabant 1

I'm already planning on taking June 21st next year off from work to go to Coney (as long as that's the date they're actually opening the time capsule).

CoastersRZ - We saw you twice but didn't get to say hi. The first time was while GatorGirl was on Helicopters and you were walking by River Runner, the second time you were walking by Tilt-A-Whirl while we were riding it. It's a lot harder to say hi when you're not working a ride! :lol:

Yes, it is a lot harder to find me, when I`m not working a ride. But I really enjoy being a rides manager too. Although, I did work the Ferris Wheel for thirty minutes and the Scrambler for thirty minutes yesterday as we were short handed on break people. I`m glad you had fun (I was looking for you, but never saw you). I too will likely be taking the 21st of June off next year. I`m sure I`ll know more information as the date approaches. And yes, I intend to work at Coney on the weekends again next summer (it will be year number ten at Coney for me).

And yes, I intend to work at Coney on the weekends again next summer (it will be year number ten at Coney for me).

Two big anniversaries for us next year. 10 years at Coney for you, and 20 years at KI for me. I worked at KI from 1989-2004, didn't work there 2005-2007, and returned to the park to work Haunt 2008-present. (As a side note, the three year period 2005-2007 is the only time KI has operated without me or one of my family members working at the park. My grandmother started there in 1972 in the executive kitchen, and later moved to Housekeeping and worked there until about 1993. My uncle was in Entertainment for several years in the '70s, dressing as Scooby and various Banana Splits. My sister worked there in Food 1992-1999, and then there's me.)

Of course, our anniversaries are nothing compared to Coney's!

That is very true. 125 years is quite an impressive feat. Especially since Coney survived the opening of Kings Island in 1972!

I still can`t believe that next year will be my tenth with the park. My how time flies! It seems like just yesterday I started working there for the first season.

Well, seeing as how I was one year old when the time capsule was put in place, I haven`t the foggiest clue. I would imagine at the very least a park map from the 1986 season, but beyond that I have no idea. I do know that the current President of Coney (Vic Nolting) was also the president of the park back in 1986 (his first year with Coney was 1984). I actually had a nice conversation with Vic a couple minutes before the rides closed on Sunday. He is a really nice guy if anyone has had the pleasure to talk with him before.

I will be there when the time capsule is unveiled. And rest assured I will keep everyone updated on any other special activities planned for the 125th anniversary.