Action Zone Re-theming for 2014

Kat

It's finally fixed now, after about 24 hours of downtime. The new certificate expires 12/15/14.

Hopefully someone at Cedar Fair sets up nagios, which (when properly configured) would have warned them in advance of the expiration and complained very loudly as soon as it did expire.

• Like 7

^ May I ask why that matters, unless you're trying to prove what you wrote about KIC topics? Many topics derailed long before you started posting, and many of those topics managed to get back on track without much prodding. Most topics tend to derail because there isn't anything interesting else to say strictly about the main topic, so what's the point in mentioning it? Besides, you're the one posting about donkeys.

By the by, here's what Ice Scream Zone looks like now. Notice the lack of menu, sign, etc.:

11281938306_846095603b_b.jpg

Compare to On Location, also missing its sign:

11281879245_975efddd66_b.jpg

...And then see Stunt Crew Grill, WITH sign (those boxes aren't the same boxes as the ones mentioned earlier):

11281963283_4d157436d8_b.jpg

Coincidence?

The yellow and black striped poles shown in the first two pictures, which held up posters in years past, have been removed. This happened on the 9th and 10th of this month, so not a very recent development. Still worth pointing out though.

Removal can be seen in the first minute of this time lapse.

• Like 8

It's always the little things that catches everyone's eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The little things are the big things in my eye. Just a little bit of theming here and there fits my bill, and if there is none, i through a cow (literally). To me, the most essential thing to any part is the little things, if there is a white stripe that is in a odd corner, I will find it and point it out. See paint chip? I usually find it first (which I have multiple times).

Anyone notice the center circle's abrasion marks at the top left?

• Like 2

I`m sure that the park wants to spruce up Action Zone a little bit, no unlike what they did with the surrounding buildings in Rivertown when Diamondback opened in 2009. It will be fun to see what changes they make. I also wonder if we will see the installation of more pavers in Action Zone, replacing the concrete.

• Like 2

In my opinion, the pavers looked great in Coney Mall and whoever put them in knew what they were doing......

That made me wonder, who actually put the pavers in?....

So I've found that HICON Inc. put in the pavers in Coney Mall, and I'm hoping that if the choice is made to do the same thing to Action Zone, that the same company does the job.

This is HICON's project page...

http://www.hiconinc.com/project.aspx#

The page shows some of the projects done by the company in the past, including Coney Mall at KI.

• Like 6

I think we are going a bit far in our expectations here, Sure, paved walkways would be amazing, but I have a hard time believing this to even happen. Being from one of the oldest things I have ever heard "If it is old, and it works, use it", concrete works, so I find it hard to see it go. I do believe though that we may loose the center target that we have had for so long, and we may get a new revamped area. Possibly splitting the area into two sections like I have hypothesized so many times before.

This can easily be done by splitting the area in two, everything from the Oktoberfest corridor, On-L, and on is the new area, and the Action Zone will be from the International Street corridor, Drop T, and over. This would be a equal fix to keep old, and new traditions thriving, which brings new life to the place.

• Like 1

Concrete worked in the rest of the park for decades, and it went. I don't see it coming this year, but the "if it's old and works, use it" motto (which I've also never heard before?) doesn't seem to have saved concrete in the past.

As for complex divisions of the area in terms of re-themeing, I doubt it. Here, past performance is not necessarily an indicator of future performance (given changing powers, changing times, and a possible new precedent at Kings Dominion) but I would imagine that any change in a "lands" theme would either be reserved for an off-year or very simple and straightforward. In other words, I don't think they'd go through the trouble of drawing an arbitrary line across a wide open plaza with structurally similar buildings on one side painted darkly and on the other painted brightly. It would be all or nothing, and if it's "all," I wouldn't expect Cars Land.

• Like 2

Anyone else remember when concrete was poured in the WindSeeker/Vortex area in 2011 then immediately ripped up and replaced with pavers?

I don't really like how Planet Snoopy, Coney, and Rivertown all have the same pavers. It would have been a nice touch if each area used thematically appropriate ones.

• Like 2

If Rivertown was thematically appropriate it would have dirt ground. I think the pavers are as close as we can get.

Rivertown could have faux dirt ground - brown-colored concrete, complete with hoof-prints and the like through-out it. Similar to Dinosaurs Alive!, with its dinosaur footprints.

• Like 4