3 Disney Attractions That Had To Be Closed Down Because They Were Too Scary

When I was younger I used to be kind of frightened by the Snow White's Scary Adventures Ride, watching this video makes me realize what Disney was trying to do there.

I enjoy Stiches Great Escape, and always think its a great attraction for the whole family to enjoy. I really wish I could go back in time to ride Extra Terrestrial Alien Encounter, its basically the same as Stiches Great Escape, but more kid friendly.

When I was younger I used to be kind of frightened by the Snow White's Scary Adventures Ride, watching this video makes me realize what Disney was trying to do there.

I enjoy Stiches Great Escape, and always think its a great attraction for the whole family to enjoy. I really wish I could go back in time to ride Extra Terrestrial Alien Encounter, its basically the same as Stiches Great Escape, but more kid friendly.

Not originally it wasn't.  Quite the opposite.  Which was why, soon after its opening, then-CEO Eisner ordered it toned down and neutered.

• Like 3

Alien Encounter was horrifying and an absolute fan-favorite. I continue to make the case that if it had opened at Disneyland and not Walt Disney World (as was originally the case), it would still be a beloved E-ticket attraction today. If you're interested, I'm currently writing an In-Depth series for Theme Park Tourist that chronicles the history of long-long attractions, and my feature on Alien Encounter - what it was, what it was like, and why it closed - is one of my favorites. 

I would implore you to read the comments, too. :P

• Like 10

I remember going on this during my first visit to Walt Disney World when I was 8. It was definitely one of the attractions that stayed etched in my mind all these years later I guess since it was so scary, but I remember liking it a lot. My parents read the signs and made the decision to have my sister, who was 5 at the time, sit that one out - probably a smart decision.

It's a shame it didn't stick around though. I didn't even waste my time with Stitch's Great Escape when I was there last week, the parks were simply too busy to set aside time for an attraction I've heard nothing but bad things about. Though it was neat seeing the yellow antennae knowing that it was a remnant of Alien Encounter, so there was that.

• Like 4

I read that when you first wrote it. Loved the article btw.

I'm not sure there are words for that ride. The sensory overload/deprevation.... I still remember the breath on my neck and ....

TBH Stitch doesn't even match in story let alone experience....

And funny enough the monster I imagined during the ride was a Xenomorph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I disagree with the assertion that Snow White's Scary Adventures "had to close because it was too scary."  It was there for many, many years and if that was the sole reason, it would have closed a lot sooner than it did.  The fear factor may have been a partial reason, but Disney wanted a spot for their Princess Fairytale Hall meet and greet area, and a pre-existing building in the middle of Fantasyland is a pretty plum spot.

And the sentence in the article, "In the final encounter with the Witch, Snow White is seen on a ledge pushing a large emerald above the rider’s head?"  All you need to do is watch the video of the ride-through to see that it's the witch, not Snow White, who pushes the emerald.

Myself, I miss Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.  The scene with the train headlight coming towards you stayed locked in my memory as frightening when I was a kid, but I loved it nonetheless.  Its replacement, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, is a fine attraction itself, one that my daughter and I enjoyed when she was really young, and still do, much to the chagrin of Mrs. Gator who doesn't appreciate it as much as we do.

I never got to experience ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter.  I've only been in that attraction area twice in my life.  The first time was as a child for Mission to Mars.  As a kid, the effects in the seat really felt like we were lifting off into space.  The second time was to try out Stitch's Great Escape.  In the words of Bambi's friend Thumper, "If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all."

• Like 6

I disagree with the assertion that Snow White's Scary Adventures "had to close because it was too scary."  It was there for many, many years and if that was the sole reason, it would have closed a lot sooner than it did.  The fear factor may have been a partial reason, but Disney wanted a spot for their Princess Fairytale Hall meet and greet area, and a pre-existing building in the middle of Fantasyland is a pretty plum spot.

And the sentence in the article, "In the final encounter with the Witch, Snow White is seen on a ledge pushing a large emerald above the rider’s head?"  All you need to do is watch the video of the ride-through to see that it's the witch, not Snow White, who pushes the emerald.

Myself, I miss Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.  The scene with the train headlight coming towards you stayed locked in my memory as frightening when I was a kid, but I loved it nonetheless.  Its replacement, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, is a fine attraction itself, one that my daughter and I enjoyed when she was really young, and still do, much to the chagrin of Mrs. Gator who doesn't appreciate it as much as we do.

I never got to experience ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter.  I've only been in that attraction area twice in my life.  The first time was as a child for Mission to Mars.  As a kid, the effects in the seat really felt like we were lifting off into space.  The second time was to try out Stitch's Great Escape.  In the words of Bambi's friend Thumper, "If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all."

Princesss Fairytale Hall had zero to do with the closing of Snow White's Scary Adventures they are talking about. There might have been some other reasons for its closing but the primary reason was that people thought it was too scary. AS the article states it closed down in 1994 and then reopened with less intense scenes and had Snow White added into the ride. That was another common complaint from people that they were confused why a Snow White ride didn't feature Snow White (as you were supposed to be going through the ride as her). The remodeled, softer version was closed down in 2012 for Princess Fairytale Hall and the opening of the Seven Dwarves Mine Train as well, but the version they are speaking about in the article had nothing to do with FPH, that didn't come until 18 years later.

Also yes it was a typo in the article when talking about the Witch pushing a giant gem over onto the riders. Snow White was not featured in the attraction at all.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Also though it hasn't been removed many people have thought the "It's Tough To Be A Bug" ride at Animal Kingdom has been considered "scary". My little sister has said the same thing. I personally love the ride and would like to see it there for many years to come. 

YEa I hope they don't change it to remove the parts that are felt to be a bit scary. I can see the "attack" scene being pretty scary to younger kids but that is the best part of the attraction, that and the bugs exiting the auditorium love the reactions to first time visitors of it. If they removed that portion the attraction would feel greatly diminished to me. I think it is probably fairly safe though. It is just a small segment fo the overall attraction, whereas with the 3 on this list the entire attraction was fairly intense or scary for kids, and even some adults.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...