Sign in to follow this  
skyride72

Why is Eiffel Tower partially closed?

Why is the first landing where you used to be allowed to walk up now closed.  That was nice for people not wanting to go to the top.  I wrote to KI and was only told it was for safety reasons.

They're talking about the 50', I think.

That, along with the stairs, were closed in the early 90's.  The initial reason for the stairs being closed was to save a little on staffing, so you don't have to station people there.  It doesn't help that the elevator doesn't stop there, so there's an argument for it not being ADA compliant.  

You'll likely not see it open in the future.  Not only for the above reasons, but also because there's a lot of wiring for the lighting package that's exposed up there.  I had been up on KI's about 10 years ago working on a project.  It was kind of gross.  Lots of bird poop and trash.  Clearly abandoned.  I was on KD's last year doing something for them.  It was a quite a bit cleaner, but I think they had just painted it. KI painted their's this year so it's probably not as bad.

KI painted the Eiffel Tower this year?  Or do you mean they painted near the 50 ft level? 

It would be nice to see the 50ft area open to people who attend Coasterstock,  maybe rope off some of the area they don't want visitors to go and put tape over the wires on the floor so nobody trips?  

I would venture to guess it’s also closed because the structure is accessible from that platform. May be a liability since inevitably someone would climb part of it just because they can try to get away with it.  

7 hours ago, Imperial79 said:

KI painted the Eiffel Tower this year?  Or do you mean they painted near the 50 ft level? 

It would be nice to see the 50ft area open to people who attend Coasterstock,  maybe rope off some of the area they don't want visitors to go and put tape over the wires on the floor so nobody trips?  

Just the walking platforms. 50’ as well as the two up top. It’s very noticeable and looks great!

On 8/29/2018 at 6:57 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

I was on KD's last year doing something for them.  It was a quite a bit cleaner, but I think they had just painted it. KI painted their's this year so it's probably not as bad.

Is KD's 50' closed to the public, as well?