Wallenda to Break Record at Kings Island, And Other 4th of July Events

Dane

kings1hi8.jpg

Kings Island Does It Again!

Grandson of Karl Wallenda looks to surpass grandfather's famous 1974 park feat with two death-defying high wire walks as part of the biggest July 4 bash in Kings Island history

Get ready for one of the most thrilling days of the summer, as Kings Island does it again with another history making event on the Fourth of July.

Thirty-four years ago, in 1974, the late, great legendary high wire walker Karl Wallenda successfully completed a 1,800-foot skywalk at Kings Island, setting a world's distance record. On Independence Day, park visitors will have an opportunity to witness history as the grandson of Wallenda, Rick Wallenda, will try to surpass his grandfather's famous park feat with two death-defying skywalks at Kings Island.

Wallenda will first attempt a spectacular skywalk 112-foot above ground on 5/8-inch cable that will start at the Eiffel Tower, go over the Royal Fountain (which, by the way, is longer than a football field) as it shoots 10,000 gallons of water into the air, and end at the flagpole outside the front gate, covering a total distance of more than 900 feet! The first walk is at 2pm.

Later in the day at 7pm, Wallenda will look to make history as he attempts to walk an incredible distance of 2,000 feet through International Street.

No safety nets or harnesses will be used by Wallenda on either of his skywalks – the only way a Wallenda will perform.

Wallenda's record-breaking attempt comes on the heels of one of the most talked about events of the year, when daredevil "Kaptain" Robbie Knievel, son of the late Evel Knievel, successfully jumped over 24 Coke Zero trucks May 24 at Kings Island, the site of one of his father's most famous stunts.

The Fourth of July at Kings Island will also include a spectacular air show, sky divers, special appearances by Hanna Barbera characters and the Clown Band, and the largest fireworks display in the 36-year history of the park.

"With all the exciting events we have planned for the Fourth of July, Kings Island is a great place for families to celebrate the holiday," said Greg Scheid, Kings Island's vice president and general manager.

You can read more about the Wallendas on their website http://www.wallenda.com

No, I would not count on any mention or developments with regards to the 2009 developments to occur on the Fourth of July. But I trust there will be other highly exciting developments with regards to the Fourth of July celebrations at Kings Island that have not yet been announced.

But who can seriously go wrong with another HB 70s extravaganza, not to mention a second return this season of the Kings Island Clown Band (known as the Kings of Komedy back in their heyday).

Rides close during the fireworks...on the 4th of July or any other day. And you are going to miss out on one heck of a celebration should you decide to miss the 4th. It's a nostalgia thing, doncha know?

Fear Not!

That's how I felt after the auction this week. All we have left are our memories of the good times we had at GL. I will be taking a break from CF parks this year until I get over the loss of GL.

It appears that cstrwomann is taking a break from CF parks.

Great to hear, these special events are just the type of activities that keep us season pass holders coming back.

A couple years ago on the 4th of July PKI had an Elvis Pressley impersonator that sang at the Royal Fountain Stage and the crowd loved it. I not the biggest fan but I haft to say watching the crowd and the impersonator interacting with the crowd was very entertaining and fun.

Now for my question; will KI have an Elvis Pressley Impersonator this year for the 4th of July festivities?

I think it would fit in nicely with the nostalgic theme this year.

It seems I will not be able to attend this event as I will be in the City of Hamilton 4th of July Parade. So I will need photos and video of the event

I'm from Hamilton, so I can tell you that photos of many of the people at that parade would be "entertaining" as well, just in a different way.

But the kids and I will be there on the 4th. Sounds like it will be a fun day.

If anyone ends up going to the Montgomery parade take pictures of the DeLoreans for me. I was supposed to drive but being in flordia makes that a little difficult. I also cannot believe that I'm going to miss the KI festivities. Oh well; Magic Kingdom has one hell of a show for the 4th this year. They're not doing wishes this whole week and doing their 4th of july perimeter fireworks instead.