Fire Threatens Magic Mountain

As much as I love parks, and I do, that's among the least of the problems they face out there right now. It's really, really bad.

And meanwhile, in New Orleans it rains, rains and rains, and in Georgia they are facing a severe water shortage.

Strange times, these....and they do affect the industry, too.

Thanks for posting that.

Guest kwindshawne

I lived in Corona which is next to Riverside back from 1999-2000, and we had a fire once, which was small beans compared to this one. The fireline was a block from my house and let me tell you, the heat and smoke was unbelievable-even inside. I spent that night debating whether to leave or not, but fortunately they got it under control before it came to us. That particular fire was arson, however, a carelessly tossed cigarette can do the same damage, and in addition to the quakes, its just another hazard of life there. It is kinda creepy to open your front door and be in complete darkness and see nothing but red fire.....an interesting sidenote is I was able to shoot some video of it, and that was the last time I used my reeled camera.

It would not surprise me if Six Flags would be happy if Magic Mountain burned. The company has said in the past they are thinking of closing the park and selling the land to developers. If the park burns they get a huge amount from insurance then they can sell the land.

I lived in Corona which is next to Riverside back from 1999-2000, and we had a fire once, which was small beans compared to this one. The fireline was a block from my house and let me tell you, the heat and smoke was unbelievable-even inside. I spent that night debating whether to leave or not, but fortunately they got it under control before it came to us. That particular fire was arson, however, a carelessly tossed cigarette can do the same damage, and in addition to the quakes, its just another hazard of life there. It is kinda creepy to open your front door and be in complete darkness and see nothing but red fire.....an interesting sidenote is I was able to shoot some video of it, and that was the last time I used my reeled camera.

I would love to see that footage!

Guest kwindshawne

I would love to see that footage!

You know, Ihad forgotten about that until today..I think the tape is still in the camera. I took the footage mostly for insurance reasons and a lot of it was of the house, but I did manage to get a little of the copters that were flying over and some of the fire. I think I'll take a look at it and see if it is ok. The camera is an old kyocera which uses those miniature tapes.

Any way to make something that old produce digital? The camera was new in 1987.

There sure is a way....check out the Dazzle...it allows you to connect S-Video and your standard A/V cables to your compter to be recorded on its Pinnacle software and saved to your comptuer...takes some work and trial but its pretty cool to use and there are older cheaper models than that. Best Buy usually has a pretty good deal on them. I use one to backup up family videos for my parents.

Guest kwindshawne
There sure is a way....check out the Dazzle...it allows you to connect S-Video and your standard A/V cables to your compter to be recorded on its Pinnacle software and saved to your comptuer...takes some work and trial but its pretty cool to use and there are older cheaper models than that. Best Buy usually has a pretty good deal on them. I use one to backup up family videos for my parents.

I'll look into it...there are other videos I would love to preserve..how about old vhs tapes? I know you can take them in and redone, but if there is a way to do it at home, I would rather go that route.

At the time, this camera was top of the line....I'll check it out..

Guest kwindshawne
Yep, you can even do the VHS tapes with teh dazzle. You just use an S-video cable from the VCR straight to the dazzle and into your computer.

Awesome.....new project for me

Say what you want about Six Flags Magic Mountain, I feel for Six Flags. Truly a scary thought when knowing a wildfire is right outside of one of your parks.

capt.sge.mqk38.231007145029.photo07.phot

From Yahoo.com

I feel more for the people who are living with a wildfire right outside of their houses, not to mentions those who have seen their houses burn down already. Like others have said, With so many people and houses in the area, an amusement park should be a lot lower on the list of worries.

I have an uncle in Southern California. All his e-mails have been how difficult everything is right now, mainly breathing and getting around. There are many roads and highways closed not only for the threat of fire, but closed to allow emergency vehicles easy passage. His condo on Long Beach is in no danger, but his fiance has a house that was right in the middle of a firestorm.

Fortunately, her house was saved due to some type of red foam flame retardant.

On a lighter note, his fiance's daughter is in college out there. Her classes have been cancelled so that commuters do not congest the roadways. So she and her roommate took it upon themselves to be a volunteer to help out victims and those that have been displaced due to the fires.

Kudos to her and all of the other volunteers out there! They are certianly some of the unsung heros that go unaknowledged.

And on a *somewhat* humorous side: my uncle always seems to rub it in about the snowfall we receive in Erie while he is standing on his balcony, in shorts, looking at the ocean. And at times like this, all I tell him is: "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow." I'm just lucky to just worry about snowfall compared to brushfires, earthquakes, hurricanes, floods etc.

;)

I liked that story about the hotels, it kind of struck a cord with my personal experiences. Two years ago The ISOTECH chemical plant in Miamisburg Ohio blew up. It blew up about 9AM and my family was getting ready to go to Cleveland to visit relatives, we had construction across the street at the time, and thought the extremely loud burst was just a backhoe slamming the groud with the loader or something related to the work done across the street. Anyways we go to Cleveland and on our way back our radio station finally goes back to the local one and they release a news story that the Isotech plant experienced an explosion and all of my community in the surrounding area was forced to evactuate. We live less than a 1/3 of a mile from the plant, now the street that I live on was litteraly the eveacuation line. The other side of my street was told to leave and my side was allowed to stay. Well, there was just this dense smoke hanging over the area, we chose to leave, so we told the police at the entrance of my street our story and he let us enter our house to get our animals. We took 8 minutes gathering clothes and capturing the animals and left to find a hotel.

Anyways we had lived in Fairborn before and knew that was our best chance at finding a hotel, so we took off on the thirty minute drive with my mom, my sister and I, two cats and a Golden Retriever all piled into a Nissan Sentra. We were able to secure a couple nights in the Red Roof Inn and since they had heard about the story they gave us 70% off and waived the no pets policy and pet fee. We were so greatful, we had no idea if we would find a hotel that would take all our animals or actually have rooms available at all. The situation is somewhat similar!