Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Yes, you could see the demolition of the former stage on the webcam.

Ironically, that stage area was not always located in that location. It spent one season located approximately where Danny Phantom Flyers are currently located. I believe it was only there for a season in the mid-90s before being relocated to its most recent location. They only had shows there for two seasons before that venue went dark. All the shows in that venue were country shows.

All the B&M coasters I`ve been on have utilized the same station for both unloading and loading. I believe Diamondback will be the same way. Besides, its not like the B&M hyper coaster trains feature complicated restraints like those found on Firehawk. Which is part of the reason why Diamondback will have such a high capacity.

Going back momentarily to the weather discussion. Cincy (and Ohio in general) often have later (not by calendar but by the weather) winters than a lot of cities. It takes til January or so for anything significant to happen (usually). And while I'm almost positive Cincy has never had 3 feet of snow, we did have a storm in the late 90's (that I believe was the record in Cincy) that dumped just under 2 feet of snow. Think about last winter even, I know here in C'bus we had 22 inches at the very END of March; and then it all melted in 2 days because it quickly hit 50 degrees. Cincy may have had a new record set in that storm last year, but I'm not totally sure.

As to how this relates to DB, I would assume they plan on having MOST done by Thanksgiving because this is when the temps start falling. And the COMPLETELY done my Christmas, because it is usually after this time up until mid/late March as to when we can have a significant snow fall. Nothing would delay construction more than a bunch of snow, so why not get it done ahead of time? Minor work (station, etc) can proceed in snow, but something tells me putting up track and supports would be near impossible. Getting it done before Christmas almost guarantees it doesn't fall behind schedule, and testing can begin once the snow disappears!

slideshow_630661_Rideside.jpg

slideshow_627339_Trainloading.jpg

off of the dayton daily news site from a few months ago, just in case some of you were still wondering what it is gonna look like

From the looks of things, the queue will cross under the station or track at some point. The gates are on the left (Eiffel Tower) side of the station according to the picture above. Actually it looks like those stairs in the top photo may be for guest entry, or maybe not, but it definitely looks like you'll enter the train from the ET side of the park.

Yep, the structural steel has begun to be placed in its final position!

And the entire building that house RedBeard`s Revenge is completely gone.

And for those of you who have hopped over to visitkingsisland.com lately, you will notice that the park has announced the projected date for the Gold Pass sneak preview for Diamondback. The big day will be April 17th, 2009.

Keep in mind that drawings and plans sometimes change from the original design intent...

Rivertown Mining Comp. Kings Island

This building was constructed in 1972 for the opening of Kings Island it has gone threw many changes over the years from being a Shooting Gallery in the 70's ,"Little Miami Dry Goods" and Skeeball in the 80's, "Rivertown Mining Company in the late 90's until 2004. Then for the 2006 Season the building was remade into a haunted house for Fear Fest called "Cowboy Carnage" then 2007-2008 it was rethemed into "Redbeards Revenge" a pirate themed haunted house.