Attractions / buildings MOST LIKELY to leave PKI

italianchef

• 14 years later...
On 2/18/2003 at 11:12 PM, teenageninja said:

I see Oktoberfest leaving real soon. Coaster most likely to go is Top Gun even though it got a new train. Resteraunt most likely to go is Magilla's Grill.

Surely I'm not the only one who loves to compare decades-old speculation to the present! teenageninja had nothing to worry about as Top Gun is still here (sans theming) and a fraction of Oktoberfest still exists (i.e. Festhaus and the Age & Weight game).

On 2/19/2003 at 9:00 AM, Coasterfan said:

Most likely coaster to go is Top Gun, I don't really see any area leaving in the near future(except for maybe one just getting a name change).

Top Gun was only 10 at the time, and there was already speculation about it leaving?! :wacko:

On 2/24/2003 at 12:44 PM, Dino2003 said:

I see Congo Falls leaving really soon! iam sure they could retheme it~ ;)

21 years later and it's also still here lol

On 11/17/2009 at 4:23 PM, CedarPointer said:

Hmm...

1. SoB.

2. The Crypt's show building

3. Action Theater (sadly...)

4. Festhaus

5. International Restaurant building

1 and 3 proved to be correct!

On 11/17/2009 at 4:35 PM, Outdoor Man said:

i am going to go on a limb and say that the park of 2010 will be vastly different than that of 2009.

I will place my voice to:

Son of Beast being removed

Flight Deck being removed or significantly altered.

Overhaul or removal of the Crypt

If by "significantly altered" he meant "repainted and renamed," Outdoor Man was correct about Flight Deck. :) Of course his SoB and Crypt claims were correct too.

On 11/17/2009 at 4:42 PM, rotag said:

I see FD leavin, but not within the next 2 years.

Or 15, for that matter...it's still here! :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny that everything seemed to think that Top Gun (now The Bat) was going to be removed. I am actually surprised that Xtreme Skyflyers is still operating.

I'll make a prediction if we are talking the next coaster removal, it's gotta be Invertigo.

(Watch me be wrong in 10 years when it's still there!) :lol:

On 3/9/2024 at 5:52 PM, kingsislandfan1972 said:

It's funny that everything seemed to think that Top Gun (now The Bat) was going to be removed. I am actually surprised that Xtreme Skyflyers is still operating.

I'll make a prediction if we are talking the next coaster removal, it's gotta be Invertigo.

(Watch me be wrong in 10 years when it's still there!) :lol:

Invertigo will outlive your grandchildren's grandchildren mwahahahahahahahahaha!!!! 

• Haha 3

Wow, Outdoor Man blog entries quoted from 14 years ago. 

SOB removal seemed very unrealistic- give the sheer size of the structure, and sizeable investment they had in it. But, once a roller coaster gets a strikes on it- that persona is difficult to shake off. The ride experience wasn't that great to be gin with.

Flight Deck... I can't say for certain, but I'd be willing to bet it was saved in the 11th hour from it's demise. Before they refreshed/repainted/rethemed to The Bat it was looking pretty worn down and neglected. renaming to The Bat worked pretty well to bring some popularity back to it, though I think the former line queue through a aircraft carrier could have been changed to a "bat-theme" and added a decent "wow" factor to it. Now it's just a metal platform structure in the woods.

the Crypt.... wow, what a sad ending for an iconic ride like TR:TR. And a lasting scar/imprint of what once was.  It's been 18 seasons since anyone experienced a ride at Kings Island that I would have put up against an attraction based in Orlando.  Total immersion in the experience from the time you stepped foot into the line queue outside, to the exit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Outdoor Man said:

Wow, Outdoor Man blog entries quoted from 14 years ago. 

SOB removal seemed very unrealistic- give the sheer size of the structure, and sizeable investment they had in it. But, once a roller coaster gets a strikes on it- that persona is difficult to shake off. The ride experience wasn't that great to be gin with.

Flight Deck... I can't say for certain, but I'd be willing to bet it was saved in the 11th hour from it's demise. Before they refreshed/repainted/rethemed to The Bat it was looking pretty worn down and neglected. renaming to The Bat worked pretty well to bring some popularity back to it, though I think the former line queue through a aircraft carrier could have been changed to a "bat-theme" and added a decent "wow" factor to it. Now it's just a metal platform structure in the woods.

the Crypt.... wow, what a sad ending for an iconic ride like TR:TR. And a lasting scar/imprint of what once was.  It's been 18 seasons since anyone experienced a ride at Kings Island that I would have put up against an attraction based in Orlando.  Total immersion in the experience from the time you stepped foot into the line queue outside, to the exit.

Yeah, it seemed a bit inconceivable at the time that SOB could go anywhere. They poured a ton of money into that and hyped the heck out of it. It's interesting to wonder if it would still be around had it not had those accidents...I'm guessing yes, although the loop was probably always going to cause problems. But I do think it if was still around, it would not be one of the park's big attractions...I talked to many people back in the day who were one and done on it. Had they kept SOB, would we have eventually gotten Banshee in another location? Maybe they would have tore down The Bat or it could have hastened the demise of Vortex and been put in that spot. Perhaps we would have never gotten Firehawk and Banshee would have been put in there...which might mean never getting Orion. As someone who felt SOB quickly wore out its welcome, I'm not upset it's gone. We have a much better coaster in its place, and KI has recovered nicely. 

And totally agree about TR:TR. It really was about as close as KI got to a Universal-style attraction. I never really understood why all the theming had to go after it lost the Tomb Raider license. Sure, you had to lose Lara Croft, which meant you had to lose the narration. But you could have probably kept the goddess, the stalactites and the lava instead of turning it into a big carnival ride in the dark. But none of that would have solved the problem of the ride shaking itself apart. I just remember going from riding TR:TR with all its theming in place one year and thinking it was the most amazing attraction at the park, and going back to the park several years later to ride The Crypt in its tamest mode and leaving so depressed. 

• Like 3