Kings Island - April 24, 2009

gigacoaster2k

I left work a little after 3 pm, and headed straight for Kings Island. I was held up several times on the way there by congested traffic in downtown Dayton. When I finally did get there a few minutes before 4:30, I was thrilled to see that gold passholder parking wasn't even half full. Danielle (keiko_coaster) texted me and said there was hardly anyone in the park.

I got to the DB entrance.. and walked all the way to the stairs! The queue was completely empty, I couldn't believe it was a walk on. I got my first ride in, and saw Danielle practically in tears at the ride's exit. She told me that the ride op took one look at her and told her she couldn't ride. I won't tell you what I think of that, but I stood and talked to Cory (Butcher) for a few minutes while I waited on Kat (violakat), her hubby Nick, and Gabe (a forum member who is more of a lurker, haha). They said they were taking a few minutes, so I rode it two more times, walk on. I found them, we got in another ride on DB, and then Ryan (BoddaH) called me and said he was coming. We waited for him, and then he rode DB with us.

(By the way, on my first two rides, the trim on the hill was off. B) )

After that, it was off to The Beast. On the way, Kat mentioned something about needing a sixth person so Gabe would have someone to ride with. We walked past Bryan (CedarPointGuyfromCincy) sitting on a bench, and I told him to come ride with us. We all hit Beast, which was amazing as always.. I LOVE that helix. There were maybe 5 people in the station when we got there.

We hit Crypt after that, and I will tell you, you get a stellar view of Diamondback's riders roaring toward you coming down the first drop. I hadn't ridden Crypt since it was Tomb Raider, and that was years ago when it first came out and had a 2 hour wait. We waved at Ronny (Gordon Bombay), who was working. I had forgotten what a cool ride that is. It was also a walk on.

We hit Backlot Stunt Coaster on our way to Flight of Fear. There was actually a wait for BLSC. Somewhere around here, we lost Bryan. Gabe, Kat and Nick chose to ride rear seat on FOF, but Ryan and I agreed that front seat is the best and waited for that seat. They had some of the lights on, and the lights were on in the tunnel, I don't know what was up with that. I like it better when it's pitch black. Either way, I love Flight of Fear.

We started heading for Racer, and Kat and Gabe split off to ride Monster. Since Nick and I don't do spinning rides, Nick, Ryan and I grabbed a table by Subway and chilled out for a little bit. Kat and Gabe came back, and we hit the red Racer since the blue side wasn't working. I personally prefer the red side anyway. Kat, Gabe and Nick chose to ride toward the front, and Ryan and I split from the group and rode the very back seat. That was pretty cool, getting yanked over those hills.

Afterward, Ryan and Nick weren't feeling too well, so they hit the first aid station for a little while to try and feel better so they could keep riding with us. Kat, Gabe and I headed for Action Zone and decided on the almighty Drop Tower, total walk on. The queue was deserted. Gabe decided at the very last second that he wasn't riding, so we made crying noises and chicken noises, and were calling him all kinds of names and shouting stupid blind threats. The ride supervisor was cracking up. We managed to get the seat where you can see Skyflyer disappearing below you. That always freaks me out a little bit, but the adrenaline rush is well worth it.

I wanted to ride Delirium, which was also a walk on, so I dragged Kat and Gabe with me. It's a good ride, but I still prefer maXair over it.

We met back up with Nick and Ryan, who were feeling better, and we all headed for a night ride on Beast. Afterward, it was off to the almighty Diamondback! It's night ride time! Ryan and I were lucky enough to get the extreme rear seat.. I was ecstatic. The ride in that seat was so intense that somewhere around the seventh hill, I felt something and noticed that my snap pocket was unbuttoned and my phone was halfway out! I managed to re-secure it just as we hit the helix. I was astounded that the forces were THAT strong. By the way, yes, you WILL get wet in that seat, it doesn't matter what you do. I could care less though.. I'm madly in love with Diamondback.

After that, Ryan had to leave, so Gabe and I headed for one last night ride on Diamondback. The fireworks started as we were in the station, and the grand finale exploded in the sky and reflected off the track as we flew through the hammerhead. That was wild.

We met John (jrstacy98) on the way out, and invited him, his brother and his kids out to eat with us, but his kids were tired and wanted to go back to the hotel (they came from Toledo). Kat, Nick, Gabe and I left the park, and destroyed quite a bit of food at Steak n Shake.

I had a GREAT time. I am seriously so glad I joined this website and met so many awesome people. I love walking with a group of people knowing that they share the same love for the park as I do. I went by myself so many times last year, and it got a little depressing after a while.

My total ride count:

Diamondback - 7

Beast - 2

FOF - 1

Crypt - 1

Drop Tower - 1

Racer - 1

BLSC - 1

Delirium - 1

15 rides in 5.5 hours.. not bad if I do say so myself. :D

Great trip report, thanks for sharing. It sounds like a lot of people had no clue that Kings Island was even open last night. 15 rides in 5.5 hours is amazing, and the weather was perfect last night to get some rides in. I wish I could have went, but I had way too much to get done!

i was there 7 times on Diamond Back, Its so cool and 3 on beast I was thrilled. I wish there was a season pass gold/platinum entrance to get u down before 4:30 I wish they could do that but it was cool!!!!!

Diamond back I floated,,, Noticed ki did some wood work on beast greatest and longest wooden it is.

I was dissapointed, with The Beast entrance,,, Love The Beast sign in the middle, but maybe they could cram a screamin swing in between beast and crypt off to the right of beast new canyon drinks entrance.....

But overall the park is returning to its former glory, and maybe Cedair Fair will keep this momentum going!!!

I'm so glad you had a great time I of cource can't wait to this August with some friends from Kettering Hospital she has a family who are despried to go as for me this will be my first trip back in a year I'm very happy and can't wait to ride Diamondback and Beast again.

See you in August

Take care God bless

Marcia :)

i was there 7 times on Diamond Back, Its so cool and 3 on beast I was thrilled. I wish there was a season pass gold/platinum entrance to get u down before 4:30 I wish they could do that but it was cool!!!!!

Diamond back I floated,,, Noticed ki did some wood work on beast greatest and longest wooden it is.

I was dissapointed, with The Beast entrance,,, Love The Beast sign in the middle, but maybe they could cram a screamin swing in between beast and crypt off to the right of beast new canyon drinks entrance.....

But overall the park is returning to its former glory, and maybe Cedair Fair will keep this momentum going!!!

You like Diamondback? I like Diamondback too! I rode Diamondback once this season, you're lucky that you got to ride Diamondback 7 times! I would've died to ride Diamondback that many times!

I think I've said Diamondback enough now to show that Diamondback is spelled like Diamondback and not Diamond Back. ;) Sorry, I'm just obsessive compulsive about that. It's one of my biggest pet peeves when people don't get the names of rides right, so don't take it personally.

I think I've said Diamondback enough now to show that Diamondback is spelled like Diamondback and not Diamond Back. ;) Sorry, I'm just obsessive compulsive about that. It's one of my biggest pet peeves when people don't get the names of rides right, so don't take it personally.

My slight annoyance is when people call it D-Back, like K-Fed or J-Lo. Stop with the stupid celebrity abbreviations. It's a roller coaster. :rolleyes:

My slight annoyance is when people call it D-Back, like K-Fed or J-Lo. Stop with the stupid celebrity abbreviations. It's a roller coaster. :rolleyes:

Yeah but it is a celebrity roller coaster! HAHA just kidding I REALLY hate those abbreviations even when used as people's names!

Oh by the way did you get one of those Scooby Doobie shirts yet?

I went yesterday as well. It was AMAZING how short the line for Diamondback was all day! The park was almost deserted for the first couple hours. I also rode Diamondback 7 times and the only time we ever waited more than about 5 minutes was when we rode in the front seat. And The Beast was nearly walk on all day, along with every other ride in the park! It was a spectacular day to be at KI! :lol:

Yikes!! Well, for me it's just more of a time-saver on typing...I'd thought you'd hate an actual Diamondback ride op calling it 'the Diamondback' even more!? ;)

Yikes!! Well, for me it's just more of a time-saver on typing...I'd thought you'd hate an actual Diamondback ride op calling it 'the Diamondback' even more!? ;)

On Friday night the girl with the mic in the station kept calling me that and all of my friends would look at me because they know how much that grinds ,y gears. "THE Diamondback" just doesn't sound right to me.

^ahahahahahha

Wow! I can't believed I typed that. That's probably my worst slip yet. :lol:

!Correction! .On Friday night the girl with the mic in the station kept calling it that and all of my friends would look at me because they know how much that grinds my gears. "THE Diamondback" just doesn't sound right to me.