The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

See the restraint systems to be installed on certain new rides next year...not all of which can be discussed at this point. And over the shoulder restraints are not always needed. Many older steel looping coasters, especially ones from Anton Schwarzkopf, had no such over the shoulder restraints, and operated just fine. Any restraint system demands that the ride operators be certain the riders are restrained properly before leaving the station, though some modern rides also have electronic backup systems to double check that. Put another way, at least some of the riders who were not adequately restrained in those incidents left the station in that condition. That is not acceptable.

There is a lot of KIC info running around my head, but SoB was built with a non-standard track gauge, right?

I assume that the trains acquired from the Myrtle Beach park required some modifications to fit the track. I'm guessing that saved a bit of money as opposed to purchasing a train or two from, say, Gerstlauer ... just speculation, but I personally wonder what different trains would have done for the ride. Perhaps nothing ... perhaps a great deal.

~ Bc9755, who has learned a great deal from you all lately. :)

^My guess, and this is pure speculation, is that it was cheaper to modify existing trains as opposed to purchasing new trains.

Combine that with: why purchase new trains if the ride still has the potential of still not giving a good ride?

I would be surprised if these questions were not brought up during the planning stages of SoB's re-opening.

This post will probably be flagged down for engineering, cost, and maintenance reasons, but why couldn't some form of suspension be added to all these harsh wooden coasters around the world in danger of removal? Whether it be modifications to existing trains or simply an all-new adaptable universal train to retrofit the many dying wooden coasters...

Suspension wouldn't have to necessarily be added to the wheels, but even the seats... Are there any coasters out there that exist with suspension, and did they solve harshness problems? Just think if our cars were wagon wheels on roads...

Anyway, perhaps this still wouldn't address the lateral forces of the rose bowl, but just a thought...

I will stick to my thought that the park will do whatever is financially better for the park.... with that being said those new coaster cars do look like they could improve the roughness of the ride on sob...... but that still does not fix the other issues with the ride.........

something i should note. if they were to put in timberliners, which i would say is doubtful... anyways, if they were, from waht i can tell from them testing it on the raven is they glide along the track, a lot faster than other trains do... would Kings Island really want to have Diamondback lose its speed record? i mean its only got to go 2 mph faster to beat it....

What I mean by Wood isnt always the straightest You can have bumps init which would make the ride kinda painful. Unlike steel like FoF it does not hurt that much(till your in the loop). But Yea its not that I am scared its just that I dont think I can trust a big burst of speed at random on wood.