The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

I was on screamscape today and seen this.

A trial will begin this week involving a woman claiming injuries received during a ride on Son of Beast during the incident in 2006 which sent 27 riders to see medical attention. A second case involving another guest who rode at the same time as her will also begin in early November.

Hey gang.... Just want to take a moment and make sure every one takes a deep breath.... Old members please dont get angry at the newbies, and the new members please dont attack the older members because if you take the time you will see that some of the older members of the boards know more than you will know..... (old being old timers on here, not old in years).... with that being said.....

I dont think the park will make an announcement till after the new year.....

besides the woman's trial happening... and the random lights on, reported a page ago, has anything significant happened around this ride in the last few weeks? Recapping what I know, and anyone feel free to add to this list as its here to help all who come after us....

Ride shut down.

Ride Cleared by state, but remained closed

Ride closed for remainder of year, given dreaded SBNO

Ride Que is bolted and zip tied closed

Signs removed from Que Line

Ride was test some time in September

Is the above all correct? any additions need to be added? Are they using the SOB Que line for anything to do with HH?

Well, I am not a lawyer and I do not play one on tv, but I would think the trials are not hugely important to the future of the ride, unless a CF lawyer feels that this is just the beginning of a future tidal wave of claims..... but yeah I guess they can be added to my mental list......

so amazingly you can not just google Roller Coaster Insurance.... (I dont think Flo from Progressive has a CF aisle...) but if you think about how the calculate auto insurance, its based on driving record, usage, model type etc...... so thats something to think about....

and side note KIC is such a refreshing blog to visit... no real shouting, and no random yahoos spouting off politics or hate speech.... yay for KIC....

i would say the marching orders for SOB will be announced before Veterans Day.

As far as theming rides go... Take the cars off of Flight Deck and replace them with some feet danglers. That would add some much needed tlc to that coaster and offer a much refreshed and new experience. Could add 20 minutes to the line.

I wouldn't hold your breath for an announcement before Veterans Day. They said they'd make a decision in the offseason, and no - that doesn't mean November 2nd (for those of you looking for instant gratification). There will be some sort of announcement about Son of Beast, but if I were a betting man, I'd say that annoucement will be coming later than sooner.

you may be right on the timing, but if were a betting man i would say that SOB's fate/direction has already been determined and the only thing that will change between now and the announcement is time.

my guess is that they'll make the announcement soon after the season. To announce it before the end of the season would attract too much unwanted attention to the structure and leave the possibility of SOB "fans" doing innapropriate things.

so amazingly you can not just google Roller Coaster Insurance.... (I dont think Flo from Progressive has a CF aisle...) but if you think about how the calculate auto insurance, its based on driving record, usage, model type etc...... so thats something to think about....

and side note KIC is such a refreshing blog to visit... no real shouting, and no random yahoos spouting off politics or hate speech.... yay for KIC....

props to Ryan, Dane, et al. they run a pretty tight/respectible ship here- and most are respective of that. For the most part with the diverse age on this site an overwhelming majority tend to conduct themselves as mature individuals. there are exceptions, but they're rare.

besides the woman's trial happening... and the random lights on, reported a page ago, has anything significant happened around this ride in the last few weeks? Recapping what I know, and anyone feel free to add to this list as its here to help all who come after us....

Ride shut down.

Is the above all correct? any additions need to be added? Are they using the SOB Que line for anything to do with HH?

They do use the line for HH. It is now the line for Flight Deck. Instead of closing Flight Deck for HH like they did last year, the line goes through SOB's line, through one of the switchbacks and then one of the silver hand rails are gone, you continue down towards the exit of Flight Deck but right before you start to go over the bridge you take a left (not through the cut through from the exit to the line) and then you are in the line right before you head up the stairs towards the candy machine. Make sense? Probably not but I tried. :)

Ride shut down.

They do use the line for HH. It is now the line for Flight Deck. Instead of closing Flight Deck for HH like they did last year, the line goes through SOB's line, through one of the switchbacks and then one of the silver hand rails are gone, you continue down towards the exit of Flight Deck but right before you start to go over the bridge you take a left (not through the cut through from the exit to the line) and then you are in the line right before you head up the stairs towards the candy machine. Make sense? Probably not but I tried. :)

I think I understand how they are using the line... but does that mean when you are exiting you are cutting through the line?

Ride shut down.

I think I understand how they are using the line... but does that mean when you are exiting you are cutting through the line?

Kinda, there is a wide open space where there is no line where the people that exit can just go back in line. But it's not like they are cutting a big line.

This seems like an awfully interesting statement...

This summer the ride was shut down again after a woman reported that the coaster had caused a blood vessel in her brain to burst in late May.

Kings Island officials said, however, the closure wasn't because the coaster was unsafe. Instead, they were evaluating whether park patrons were satisfied with the ride because it typically rated lower than expected on guest surveys.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...0107/910160339/

From Dayton Daily News-

"Paley said though Wright will need a hip replacement, he doesn’t recommend anyone younger than 50 go through the procedure, so she may be advised to wait 10 years.

Currently, hip replacements last only about 15 years, Paley said, testifying that Wright possibly could be a candidate for two or three such surgeries."

as a hip replacement patient myself at 42 years old, these statements are no longer valid. surgeons now recommend replacement as soon as possible to prevent years of suffering. the new joints that are being used will outlast the patient.

mine is now 4 years old. a friend of mine is going on 18 years since his replacement.

Lower than expected? They expected people to be pleased with SoB? Wow. Who have they been polling?

good question, i would like to see those stats.

No chance of that. The company won't even release individual park attendance figures, they sure aren't going to release internal survey data.

I find it interesting that after day 1 of the trial, there was relatively extensive media coverage. Day 2 should be concluded (Friday) and there is, so far, nothing. Makes one wonder if it settled out of court.