The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

Somewhat random, but I was looking on bing.com/maps at the birdseye views of Son of Beast to try and get a feel for the terrain (see 2011 coming attractions thread if you don't know why I was dong this) and noticed something I found interesting.

Some of the birdseye view pictures seem to have been taken during the construction/repair timeframe following the 2006 accident. Signs include a construction trailer, cranes/high lift, and materials - along with tarps over portions of the track and new looking areas of wood in various places (along with the loop in some pics but not in others).

I might be wrong, but thought I'd let others who might be interested know - and I didn't post a link as I can't figure out how to link to the exact location on bing maps.

Somewhat random, but I was looking on bing.com/maps at the birdseye views of Son of Beast to try and get a feel for the terrain (see 2011 coming attractions thread if you don't know why I was dong this) and noticed something I found interesting.

Some of the birdseye view pictures seem to have been taken during the construction/repair timeframe following the 2006 accident. Signs include a construction trailer, cranes/high lift, and materials - along with tarps over portions of the track and new looking areas of wood in various places (along with the loop in some pics but not in others).

I might be wrong, but thought I'd let others who might be interested know - and I didn't post a link as I can't figure out how to link to the exact location on bing maps.

I have seen that too and i thought it was interesting to see where all of that happened. I knew it happened in the rose bowl but i wasn't sure where at.

i noticed something. recently, they allow you to prepurchace general admission tickets for this season. on that page, it specifically notes 14 roller coasters. Taking that and going by Kings Islands count which includes The Racers as one coaster, it would seem that Son of Beast is here to stay and at least hinted at being open.

Guests can check out the park's 14 thrill-inducing roller coasters, including our newest, tallest, and fastest one ever, Diamondback.

Source

While this doesnt specifically say that it will open, it certainly implys it will. Checking out a coaster to most people means hey lets ride it, not hey lets stare at it for hours and wonder why its still here... although i do admit that it does have an ambiguous meaning, but still interesting to note. I just wonder what they will do when jobs come up. If Son of Beast were to open, they would have to train somebody... It would also have to get its required hours for it to be certified this year as well... There isnt much time before something must be said or done...

... Or that they continue to count the ride formerly known as Avatar, and are not counting Son of Beast...

Nothing is definitive, and I doubt that the news of Son of Beast will be slyly delivered through cryptic slogans.

:unsure: i'm really hoping that the 14 instead of 15 means that they stopped counting "the ride formally known as avatar" as a coaster.

did they count that as a coaster? i was trying to find something from last year citing how many coasters Kings Island said, to no avail. i just counted coasters knowing the knowledge of a previous thread noting Kings Island counts The Racers as one coaster.

As of last season:

1. Invertigo

2. Flight Deck

3. Son of Beast

4. The Racer

5. Backlot Stunt Coaster

6. Flight of Fear

7. Firehawk

8. The Beast

9. Diamondback

10. Adventure Express

11. Avatar

12. Fairly Odd Coaster

13. Little Bill's Giggle Coaster

14. Runaway Reptar

15. Vortex

Now that they're apparently flaunting 14 likely means that Son of Beast is a no-go for this season or Avatar is no longer considered a coaster - like I said, I highly doubt that Son of Beast's status will be announced via a marketing slogan. That said, you know how Cedar Fair likes their coaster counts, and are likely to always count Avatar as a coaster as long as its marketable. Even should it mean Son of Beast will not be operating, let nothing take the place of an official press release except a wrecking ball. Unless one of those two things shows up, consider Son of Beast's future up in the air. That's just my thought.

yes, apparently they do count it. see here.

In between the action, take on the park’s 15 incredible coasters, including the massive new Diamondback, the tallest, fastest, meanest coaster to ever strike Kings Island.

This totally kills my mood. It may not be official, and Kings Island may still open it, but its still dissapointing to say the least.

I would argue that there are slight differences in the way that the Sportacopters are powered versus Avatar... I'm sure if Kings Island were head-to-head with Cedar Point for most roller coasters, it would be easily disputed that Avatar is not a coaster.

As it currently is, I don't think anyone actually cares. It's not likely that a significant number of visitors count up the number of "coasters" proper and then go "Heyyyy they said 15!", promptly visiting guest services to complain about the "false" marketing.

i have heard a ton of stories but i have also heard that they might keep it not sure yet i have also heard that they are going to tear it down or burn it ha lol and put in another ride idk ha i do have some other new if u all would like to know my twitter is @skeletor212 so yeah or myspcae me /skeletor121 or face book ha lol thanks 57days 9weeks 2months where else??

Welcome to KIC, but:

From the terms of service:

Spelling and grammar: You guys know how to write; I have no doubt about that. Please take the time to read over your posts before you post them to ensure that it's not confusing. This includes proper spelling, punctuation, and capitalization mainly. AND PLEASE DON'T YELL!...

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4128

So, please, no text language here...we'd like to be able to rd wt u pst all tm.

C?

Also, be aware that posting personal information here may well be the target of bots, who will harvest it and flood you with spam. Just a word to the wise...

yeah, im pretty sure they dont plan on opening Son of Beast. just found this under the FAQs for Math and Science Days...

A preliminary list of operating rides is as follows: (subject to change)

Diamondback, Firehawk, Delirum, Drop Tower, Invertigo, Racer, Beast, Flight of Fear, Viking Fury, Dodgems, Eiffel Tower, Vortex, Adventure Express, Carousel, The Crypt, Zephyr, Congo Falls and Flight Deck.

Source

and it says preliminary.... which means that its not the final list just yet. As people have said they are not just going to slip it in on a sub-part of a website (which is barely updated as is ) telling the future of the biggest wooden coaster in the world......... we will all know in due time

we will all know in due time

ok - so I'm impatient and I'll admit that this is a fault of mine, but I don't understand why Kings Island continues to be so slow about making announcement about goings on at the park - see Planet Snoopy ride names, 2010 map, SoB status as just a few examples. And for those that say ticket sales, I don't believe that this is a big enough deal for SoB at this time, and certainly couldn't explain why announcing that Nick was leaving and Planet Snoopy was coming toward the end of last season took so long.

At this point in time, I believe that the park has to know that SoB will be SBNO (my guess) for at least the start of the 2010 season. Did they do the full maintenance on the trains, Are they hiring any ride ops to work SoB, Are they going to have merchandise for it are all things that need to be planned in advance.

Unless, they are still deciding (or finalizing) the long term plan (remove, retrofit) and want to make one announcement, I don't see why they don't put out some information.

Do you really believe who owns (and is responsible for the operation of CF) will be decided in mid-March? I believe it will still be a very contentious and unresolved situation on opening day.

Yet even so, I believe the park will be open, DB will operate, Planet Snoopy rides will have names, a park map will be available, and SoB will either operate or sit there.

Well what if CF does not want to operate SOB in fear that another lawsuit happens. It could put a future owner in jeopardy, or not. Agreed a map will be released but maybe the park wants to have a big media day. I am beginning to think this thread is showing that our society is getting to a point where we no longer want to wait for an answer. It could be the park has no idea what they want to do with the ride. They may want to open it but worry about the ride. They may want to close it but think it has potential.

I would not want to be a person left in charge of deciding the fate of this ride or any ride for that matter....

And, if that decision has been made and were to be revealed here, and were to subsequently change...others here would point out that the person who revealed the decision was incorrect and had no idea what s/he was talking about. And people wonder why information is not released until it is officially released these days?

I was saying just how after the first few problems it seemed like everyone started coming up with problems caused by Son of Beast. and good one HTCO. laugh.gif

People did not have to come up with problems for SoB.

The ride has been a problem since day one, and I don't mean day one of operation.