Question about Rides

Son of Beast Savior

I'm sure that, like any rule at the park, it's only enforced by certain individuals, and should you ride a smaller ride while certain associates are working, you wouldn't be told off. However, that doesn't make it right - much less safe. Like smoking, even if its not always enforced, it is dangerous, stupid, inconsiderate and wrong to do it.

I have seen where rides have been stopped low on the lifts for employees to go out and retrieve cameras from individuals who have them out. Its dangerous especially if the individual loses the camera it becomes a projectile that can hit and injure someone behind them. I do know there use to be POV's of both Beast and Son of Beast a couple years ago taken by the Discovery Channel when they were in the park filming both coasters for a upcoming thrill rides show. But that was under special and controlled circumstances.

It is actually a misdemeanor in Ohio to not follow all instructions given to riders by parks, manufacturers, etc. And loose articles are not permitted on the rides. Usually, when enforcement is seen, ejection from the park is the typical remedy, though you can and may be criminally prosecuted. The latter is more likely if someone is injured due to your actions, in which case the injured party(ies) could also sue you.

Yep. I speak from experience about enforcing park rules.

I have kicked many people off of the Ferris Wheel for rocking the cars, after repeated warnings. Not only do the back of the cars say "Danger! Do Not Rock Seat" but after repeated verbal warnings you would think you would get the idea. I remember one guy got all mad at me and my co-worker because we kicked him off the ride and were yelling at him to stop rocking his car. He continued to do so after we told him to stop rocking, multiple times, so we kicked him off. Its a safety thing. I`ve even confiscated wristbands (akin to admission price at Coney), for people spitting and/or rocking the cars at Coney.

Safety is of paramount importance, and riders doing stupid things can hurt other riders. That is why Ohio has the rider responsibility laws. One riders actions (say bringing a loose article, such as a camera, on a ride), can result in the injury of other riders if said article becomes a projectile during the course of the ride and strikes other riders. As Interpreter stated, if such a situation happens, the person who brought the loose article on board the ride can be charged under Ohio Law. And technically, they could be charged even if their is no injury. But as I indicated in my above example, sometimes getting kicked off the ride or kicked out of the park is the punishment for such an offense.

It is actually a misdemeanor in Ohio to not follow all instructions given to riders by parks, manufacturers, etc. And loose articles are not permitted on the rides. Usually, when enforcement is seen, ejection from the park is the typical remedy, though you can and may be criminally prosecuted. The latter is more likely if someone is injured due to your actions, in which case the injured party(ies) could also sue you.

This is just a portion of the many laws regarding amusement parks and amusement rides: This is taken from the (O) Ohio ® Revise © Code or ORC for short. This is the Bible on which Law Enforcement Officers stand on. Without it, we have nothing to enforce. We had five months, 'everyday' of this in the Police Academy and I took this course a Semester before I joined the Police Academy. If you would like to learn more of this topic on your own for fun, here you go. http://codes.ohio.gov/

1711.551 Duties of riders.

(A) No rider shall fail to do any of the following:

(1) Heed all written warnings and directions that require a person to meet certain conditions or to refrain from certain actions regarding an amusement ride, as determined by rule by the director of agriculture;

(2) Refrain from behaving or acting in any manner that may cause injury or contribute to injuring himself or other people while occupying an amusement ride.

This is just a portion of the many laws regarding amusement parks and amusement rides: This is taken from the (O) Ohio ® Revise © Code or ORC for short. This is the Bible on which Law Enforcement Officers stand on. Without it, we have nothing to enforce. We had five months, 'everyday' of this in the Police Academy and I took this course a Semester before I joined the Police Academy. If you would like to learn more of this topic on your own for fun, here you go. http://codes.ohio.gov/

1711.551 Duties of riders.

(A) No rider shall fail to do any of the following:

(1) Heed all written warnings and directions that require a person to meet certain conditions or to refrain from certain actions regarding an amusement ride, as determined by rule by the director of agriculture;

(2) Refrain from behaving or acting in any manner that may cause injury or contribute to injuring himself or other people while occupying an amusement ride.

And Does the park actually do anything about it. I cant tell you countless times ive seen people Poving on a ride at the park and i have said somthing to park mangement. It states very clearly on the park maps and on the back of every season pass and ticket that if you dont Follow the rules your pass will be revoked and the guest removed from the park but does that happen NO. I just dont want to see someone get hurt on a ride at the park.

And as was stated, if someone was actually injured on a ride because of an irresponsible rider, they would likely end up being charged for such an infraction. It is kind of akin to speeding. Does everyone on the road get a speeding ticket if they go a mile over the limit? No. Only if you get caught. And then sometimes you may only be given a warning.

I know that I have seen cameras confiscated before when the rider had them out on a lift hill before. You can`t catch everything, and you certainly can`t take the time to remove everyone from the park that you catch doing that. Security has more important issues to concern themselves with than that. A stern warning, or a camera taken away should be enough to deter most people. Yes, it would be sad if someone who had been warned continued to do this and ultimately ended up injuring someone. But look at all the cases of repeat drunk drivers. Same thing applies there. You could be caught doing something illegal and punished for it, but it still doesn`t mean you won`t continue to do the illicit activity.

There is no question that the park has the right to enforce its rules and to eject people from the park. I seriously question, however, that it has the legal right to confiscate a camera. In fact, I believe doing so may well constitute theft. As the old axiom says, two wrongs do not make a right.

You are 100% right on that terp 2 wrongs dont make a right.

And some parks have taken a firm stance when it comes to abiding by their park policies, particularly in regards to smoking. While other parks that have a smoking ban, don`t even seem to enforce it and send people to the proper designated areas. Unlike a certain other group of parks which numbers its flags, that has been known to kick people out for not following their rules and regulations.

And some parks have taken a firm stance when it comes to abiding by their park policies, particularly in regards to smoking. While other parks that have a smoking ban, don`t even seem to enforce it and send people to the proper designated areas. Unlike a certain other group of parks which numbers its flags, that has been known to kick people out for not following their rules and regulations.

Trust me ive seen that happen at more than one park not just Cedar Fair parks.

I have actually been on a ride before where they have stopped the car before it even got out of the station, this ride was Flight Deck and they stopped the back half still in the station to tell an individual to put their phone away. I do not know why individuals keep doing these rule breaking acts. Like people who go on Drop Tower and put a penny on they're knee to watch it float. When that thing hits the ground it hits with a pretty hard thud that could injure someone, maybe not severly, but just enough to cause discomfort.

There is no question that the park has the right to enforce its rules and to eject people from the park. I seriously question, however, that it has the legal right to confiscate a camera. In fact, I believe doing so may well constitute theft. As the old axiom says, two wrongs do not make a right.

Yea, nothing good would come of taking their camera. When I see it I make the offender delete the video or pictures and yell at them, but taking their camera opens up a can of worms.

You are 100% right on that terp 2 wrongs dont make a right.

but three lefts do make a right ;)

im sure they dont keep it but just hold on to it till they get off

^Since taking POV's IS an illegal act in the state of Ohio then I suppose they can take that picture down if they want. Correct?

Photos belong to you even if you broke the law while taking them.

The Photographer's Right

However, if the person were to refuse to delete the photo or video, that photo/video I am assuming, could be used as sufficient enough evidence to eject said person from the park for ignoring the posted guidelines and rules of the park.

If I were given a choice to delete a photo or leave the park...I think I would delete the photo.