Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet if you asked something about the "new dark ride experience" they would say something more detailed. Now that it's getting closer to opening day.....

They've said all along that we'd get details "the week of March 29th". ::checks calendar::: Hmmmmm.....

"Brad Perdue - It was mentioned the other day that the King Cobra's trains are kept in the Flight of Fear building. Just out of curiosity, why are they being kept? Props for Haunt possibly?

Not for Haunt. Some are here for storage. Others could be used for parts at our parks that have similar rides.

"

Last season photos of the old Cobra Trains were spotted behind Volcano at Kings Dominion.

"Brad Perdue - It was mentioned the other day that the King Cobra's trains are kept in the Flight of Fear building. Just out of curiosity, why are they being kept? Props for Haunt possibly?

Not for Haunt. Some are here for storage. Others could be used for parts at our parks that have similar rides.

"

Last season photos of the old Cobra Trains were spotted behind Volcano at Kings Dominion.

Apparently you are not reading all of the posts. Please read 2nd question on Friday's 5@5. Link below!

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20850&view=findpost&p=369260

Matt Higgins - Can you comment on any lost projects (in other words, ride plans that fell through) throughout the years?

Plans do change. Here are a couple of examples: International Street was really close to becoming a City Walk type concept called “Hollywood Boulevard” back in 1991. Lots of times themes change or evolve throughout the design process. A great example of this and a great story is The Flying Dutchman. During construction this week workers uncovered artist drawings from 1972 for this ride! The hand-drawn plans show 6 different options ranging from flying kegs to flying cars. The ride ended up as a shoe-shaped swing that rotated around the tower. The ride gave 12,476,258 rides from 1973 to 1991. Its record year was its debut season in 1973 when 1,016,455 rides were given. The ride was sold to Kentucky Kingdom following the 1991 season.

I’ve uploaded a picture of this rare find in our OLD STUFF photo album: http://www.facebook.com/visitkingsisland?v=photos#!/photo.php?pid=5255764&id=155893938367

------------------------------

McLean Strickland - It was noted everywhere about the awesome turn out for the 2010 job fair. Is the park still needing employees? If so, what areas of park employment should someone applying take a look into?

We did get a fantastic turnout but we are still accepting applications. Food & beverage, merchandise and lifeguards top the list of available openings. http://www.visitkingsisland.com/jobs/jobs.cfm

Travis Nuss - how and when do you test water rides lie white water canyon? what day(s) and what time(s) do you test db? i would love to whatch it on the db webcam

If I were a betting man, I’d be checking that webcam either Friday evening or Saturday afternoon. If you’re watching the Diamondback webcam on April 7th you’ll most likely see Diamondback test runs. If you’re watching any of the other webcams on April 7th you’ll see other things!

Matt Godfrey - 2010 marks the 10th anniversary of the Halloween Haunt. Can we expect something really special to commemorate this? And can we expect another new location to house a new maze? Perhaps the Peanuts Playhouse so that PS, and, in effect the whole park, becomes overrun with monsters wreaking havoc upon the paying customers?

We do have BIG plans for this year’s Haunt but those don’t specifically include any anniversary theme. Halloween Haunt is a big deal for us and is really becoming one of the most popular things we do. The PEANUTS gang will be very involved in our fall Halloween activities but not on the scary side. They will allow us to devote even more energy to our daytime family activities – which are already pretty good.

Kyle Joyce - When can we expect any more information on th new darkride experience? I know in an earlier 5@5, they said this week, but is there any specific day?

We did promise this week, didn’t we? Are you a subscriber to the email newsletter? That’s a great way for us to inform lots of people of things every Tuesday! http://www.visitkingsisland.com/events/newsletter.cfm

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=380211536948

So it sounds like we'll be getting information on the new darkride in tomorrow's newsletter!

Also it sounds like the new website with multiple webcams could be up by April 7th.....

Yes! That's exactly what we needed for the site. Webcams.

And I can't wait anymore until they announce the dark ride!

IF new webcams are coming online that day, I wonder if the new website will come on that day? Wouldn't it make sense to only set up one site with new things, not do it with the current site now, and then a new site in a few weeks?

I just signed up for the newsletter, which means I will probably know the "New Dark Ride Experience" tomorrow! :lol:

Did the information go out yet? I, for one, am very excited to find out what's happening in the castle.

Nothing yet from KI today, but I did get Holiday World's news letter already!

I bet we'll get a name today.

Speaking of which, if all of this build up has been leading to "Boo Blasters on Boo Hill," I'll frankly be a little disappointed.

It's so obvious that we'd get the same name that the other parks get, you'd assume they wouldn't make a big deal out of it unless we were getting something else, at least name-wise. But then, why would they name ours differently if it won't be different? But for every other park, it was just a matter of the 2010 map coming out and it said Boo Blasters on Boo Hill and that was that and there ya go, but for ours they're trying to build it up and keep it secret and make a big deal out of it to the extent that you'd think it might be different somehow... It obviously won't be as far as the ride, but maybe it would be different in name, but why would it different in name if it's the same ride, but if there's nothing different then why didn't they just announce it like the rest did and that means that-

Oh dear I've gone cross-eyed.

At least we can mark this semi-confirmed that the Peanuts will not play a part in this ghostly adventure...

24192_426635628367_155893938367_5267576_1769811_n.jpg

^ I doubt Mr. Shwartz would like Charlie Brown standing next to him cowering...

At least we can mark this semi-confirmed that the Peanuts will not play a part in this ghostly adventure...

It was actually confirmed in a 5@5 question a while back:

Q: Austin Benton asks what are the details about Planet Snoopy like names of the rides, and what's going on with the former Scooby Doo & The Haunted Castle.

A: Photos and videos of the current construction going on in Planet Snoopy will be posted in a matter of days. You won't have to wait much longer for the names of the 18 rides and attractions in Planet Snoopy to be announced. As a fan of Kings Island on Facebook, you'll be among the first to know. As for the former Scooby Doo & The Haunted Castle, that ride will not be PEANUTS themed.

Oh yeah! Thanks. One of the former Paramount Parks had on its website that Boo Blasters on Boo Hill had to do with Charlie Brown looking for the Great Pumpkin. If that remains true, I imagine the ride will be much different that the one we're getting glimpses of at Kings Island!

Okay, i know this is VERY random and all, but check out KI's website. The home page seems a bit messed up, the page is off center.

I sense the new site should be up in a matter of days!

First we get pics of the new darkride, and now clues of the site being worked on? It is turning out to be a great day!

David McPeak - Is Great Wolf Lodge actually on Kings Island property or is it on it's own land?

That is Great Wolf’s property now. The arrangement was complicated at the start and has gotten even more complicated. What’ not complicated though is our partnership. We work very well together. They attract lots of visitors to the area and many businesses, including us, benefit from them being here. If you’ve never stayed there, you should. It is a great experience. [Plug Alert] And with your 15% Off Gold Pass discount there’s no reason you shouldn’t check it out!

Matt Godfrey - I really liked the roving entertainment you guys put out there last year (magician, juggler, and stiltwalker). Do you think the idea of having live music like a band or small drumline is feasible enough to add to the live entertainment lineup? I know on occasion some schools do special events throughout the year, but I was thinking more along the lines of an in-house set of live music; the Twistin' to the 60's band did some really amazing improv in-between shows.

Our live entertainment department is fantastic. Kevin Brunck, Area Manager of Live E, is a tremendous asset. He and his team are creative, dedicated and really care about the product they put out. We have used the roving street entertainment for our special event days but I much prefer the work Kevin’s team creates in house. To be honest, I was never really into the shows here. I’d check them out once or twice but that’s about it. Now I find the shows part of my daily routine. Your idea for an in-house band is interesting. I’ll share it with the team.

Bret Shroats - I saw something about Kings Island Tv on the parks website under the youtube page. Can you explain what Kings Island TV is going to be? What will be featured on Kings Island TV?

We will be loading much more video content to YouTube and to our new website. The traditional stuff (we’ve been sorely lacking) like POV and off-ride video along with our commercials. We have plans to get much deeper into viral videos. It may take us a little bit to get up and running but I think you’ll be impressed.

Jackson Thurnquist - On your website, it contradicts itself with the Gold Pass Perks. On one page, it says Morning Gold Pass ERT starts April 17, the other, April 30. Which one is it? Thanks.

Thanks Jackson. We were leaving the 17th off the list just to be cautious. But after reading your question I’ve corrected the web to say we are open for Gold Pass early rides on DB and Beast EVERY DAY just like last year, beginning Saturday, April 17! This is an awesome perk as you know. Make sure you use it so it never leaves!

Brian Krosnick - Do you folks ever post something (a la the pictures of the new dark ride) and then hop over to a Kings Island fansite like KICentral.com or KIextreme.com just to see how quickly and emotionally we all react? If not, give it try sometime... it's pretty funny.

Some of us (myself included) do visit these two sites periodically. I wouldn’t say we post and jump like this by any means. As you can see, we’ve got our hands full and barely keep up with our own stuff! These sites are a great place to see what your most passionate guests say and feel. You sometimes need to have a thick skin. We try really hard and it’s easy to get defensive when see something that you consider negative. Don’t get me wrong, this is certainly the exception rather than the rule. 99% of the time I visit I leave more energized. You care about the park and we love that.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/visitkingsisland?v=app_2347471856&ref=ts

</h2>

<h2>Answers for Tuesday's 5@5 mailbag below.

David McPeak - Is Great Wolf Lodge actually on Kings Island property or is it on it's own land?

That is Great Wolf’s property now. The arrangement was complicated at the start and has gotten even more complicated. What’ not complicated though is our partnership. We work very well together. They attract lots of visitors to the area and many businesses, including us, benefit from them being here. If you’ve never stayed there, you should. It is a great experience. [Plug Alert] And with your 15% Off Gold Pass discount there’s no reason you shouldn’t check it out!

Matt Godfrey - I really liked the roving entertainment you guys put out there last year (magician, juggler, and stiltwalker). Do you think the idea of having live music like a band or small drumline is feasible enough to add to the live entertainment lineup? I know on occasion some schools do special events throughout the year, but I was thinking more along the lines of an in-house set of live music; the Twistin' to the 60's band did some really amazing improv in-between shows.

Our live entertainment department is fantastic. Kevin Brunck, Area Manager of Live E, is a tremendous asset. He and his team are creative, dedicated and really care about the product they put out. We have used the roving street entertainment for our special event days but I much prefer the work Kevin’s team creates in house. To be honest, I was never really into the shows here. I’d check them out once or twice but that’s about it. Now I find the shows part of my daily routine. Your idea for an in-house band is interesting. I’ll share it with the team.

Bret Shroats - I saw something about Kings Island Tv on the parks website under the youtube page. Can you explain what Kings Island TV is going to be? What will be featured on Kings Island TV?

We will be loading much more video content to YouTube and to our new website. The traditional stuff (we’ve been sorely lacking) like POV and off-ride video along with our commercials. We have plans to get much deeper into viral videos. It may take us a little bit to get up and running but I think you’ll be impressed.

Jackson Thurnquist - On your website, it contradicts itself with the Gold Pass Perks. On one page, it says Morning Gold Pass ERT starts April 17, the other, April 30. Which one is it? Thanks.

Thanks Jackson. We were leaving the 17th off the list just to be cautious. But after reading your question I’ve corrected the web to say we are open for Gold Pass early rides on DB and Beast EVERY DAY just like last year, beginning Saturday, April 17! This is an awesome perk as you know. Make sure you use it so it never leaves!

Brian Krosnick - Do you folks ever post something (a la the pictures of the new dark ride) and then hop over to a Kings Island fansite like KICentral.com or KIextreme.com just to see how quickly and emotionally we all react? If not, give it try sometime... it's pretty funny.

Some of us (myself included) do visit these two sites periodically. I wouldn’t say we post and jump like this by any means. As you can see, we’ve got our hands full and barely keep up with our own stuff! These sites are a great place to see what your most passionate guests say and feel. You sometimes need to have a thick skin. We try really hard and it’s easy to get defensive when see something that you consider negative. Don’t get me wrong, this is certainly the exception rather than the rule. 99% of the time I visit I leave more energized. You care about the park and we love that.