Cheetah Hunt

You talk about the debate there, at KI managers trained us saying that Rivertown went from Snoopy to the 3 point game and down to the garden clock. So in Rivertown you had BLSC, Beast, and DB

Except those are just boundary lines detailing a particular work area in your department, not the actual boundary lines the park uses for their themed areas. If anything, that would mean Adventure Express is a part of Action Zone, and Viking Fury is on International Street like Boo Boo's Blasters are. :P

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The name choice was a total surprise, it is certainly not what one would expect from Busch.....but with that said its just a name. The ride experience is what matters to me and this seems as though it won't disappoint. Personally, I love the trains and the lead car......they are gonna look slick on that green track. I can't wait to see how much transformation takes place in that area of the park! That's possibly the weakest area in there in terms of holding any type of theme. Other than the Clydesdale Hamlet and Sky Ride station, that's been a fairly quiet section that seems out of place while walking to Edge of Africa or Egypt. I have high hopes for the final product after seeing how great Manta turned out. I'm actually pretty stoked about the exhibit in general after hearing the details and seeing some of the concept art for it, I think the cheetah sprints are going to be an awesome sight to take in.

- Todd

I'm willing to guess that they'll do a fantastic job of incorporating the name "Cheetah Hunt" into the experience and it will make a lot of sense.

Just think of some of the simple Disney ride names:

Mission Space

Test Track

Spaceship Earth

Haunted Mansion

Could you imagine calling them anything else?

I'm willing to guess that they'll do a fantastic job of incorporating the name "Cheetah Hunt" into the experience and it will make a lot of sense.

Just think of some of the simple Disney ride names:

Mission Space

Test Track

Spaceship Earth

Haunted Mansion

Could you imagine calling them anything else?

I have no doubt that they'll do a fantastic job incorporating the name and no doubt the entire experience from exhibit, queue, to ride will be fantastic. I think people just had themselves convinced that Cheetaka was the name, which *is* a very Busch Gardens type name, and were surprised/disappointed when the very simple Cheetah Hunt was announced. Like I said, I'm a tad disappointed myself....but I also don't find the name Cheetah Hunt to be nearly as bad as some are making it out to be. Definitely hoping they renamed Cheetah CHASE though into something different.

- Todd

I was amazed at how much this future coaster goes through the park and through some very picturesque areas. When we were there it seemed as if the construction walls went on forever and often wondered how the park would look during normal times. At many times there were construction walls on both sides of the path and it seemed like we were walking in an over sized maze. To be honest it made it hard to know where we were especially since it was our first visit. I will admit we did take a few wrong turns and get lost a few times.

0_0_9270e0c7ce35e8d5b1a347f00947e46d_1.jpg

We really enjoyed Busch Gardens Tampa and look forward to returning to finish seeing everything we missed the first time. The coasters were fun, themed and most of all very thrilling. I think what excites me the most about the new coaster "Cheetah Hunt" is knowing how it will hug the terrain through what looks like a wild savanna and by the same people who created Mantas theme. I truly feel in love with Manta not only for the long G force pull over the first loop but also because it is by far the best outside themed coaster that I have ever ridden on. So you can understand that if they bring in some of the Jungla aspects to the queue line

0_0_05615a31a22f0a8db8a4a01cb6a4d245_1.jpg

and with the savannah terrain then Cheetah Hunt may become my new favorite coaster over Manta.

I must not have paid too much attention to the earlier name as I did not pick up on that, but as I toured the park I kept saying to myself seeing parts of it that it seemed like a cheetah running path and a good name for the ride would be Cheetah Run.

0_0_4acb64558d64e360cd0b201f9b0f65ef_1.jpg

Well now that the name is announced I think it is highly appropriate and will help the soon to be riders get into the ride of a soon to be great coaster. I can understand how others like the other name as it sounds cooler but honestly after seeing the area I really think Cheetah Hunt is more appropriate and best describes the theme experience they seem to want to convey.

Glad you enjoyed Busch Gardens, it really is a great park. I'm gonna disagree with Terpy, and I think we always will :-), but I much prefer Williamsburg over Tampa. Williamsburg is a far more beautiful park, superior operations, plus some pretty amazing food. With that said, since living in Florida and being able to frequent BGT on a more regular basis....I have quickly fallen in love with the place. Given the area that the park is located in, the clientele that they pull in, and the fact that the Park is surrounded on all 4 sides.....I think they do an amazing job. Tampa definitely has the better assortment of coasters, especially now that Big Bad Wolf is gone. Kumba is still my favorite coaster in Florida, hands down, and one of my favorite steel coasters period. While you definitely got to see the oh-so-growing number of construction walls within the park, I honestly think it'll help give you an even better impression of the park next year. That entire front section has always felt disconnected to me, in terms of theme, so I'm very excited to see it getting a major overhaul. I think it'll definitely have a much more cohesive feel to it, blending into the Edge of Africa area.

Cheetah Hunt is going to compliment the collection very nicely and definitely will be following the footsteps of Manta in creating a unique, immersive experience that offers something for EVERYONE in the family. I think Cheetah Hunt, more so than Manta, utilizes the ride a bit more in its story telling. I love the launches mimicking the quick bursts of speed and then the tower itself gives the illusion of the train prowling up high waiting to ambush before leaping down into the trench and setting off across the savanna. I'm curious to see where the ride lands as far as an intensity level is concerned. Some people think this is their answer to a family coaster, perhaps to an extent it is, but from the promotional video they certainly aren't playing it as such....especially when they specifically highlighted the airtime that the ride will feature.

According to the Park's facebook page, vertical construction is due to start very, very soon! They are working quickly now at this point. All trenches have now had most of the dirt dug out of them, including the one that passes under the new pathway from Edge of Africa to Nairobi. Work on the footings has come along way, especially in the former Clydesdale area and the footings for the tower are complete as well. I think the most significant development over the past week or so is the demolition of the former river area of Rhino Rally which has essentially been stripped down to just the waterfall now.....the rest is being leveled out (except the canyon walls, obviously) in preparation for the footing work for that part of the ride.

- Todd

At the Orlando Attractions Magazine web page for the announcement of Cheetah Hunt they added some more fun facts about the ride times and launch speeds ect...

below are some of them

Cheeta Hunt Facts

Launches: Launch 1: 30 mph, Launch 2: 60 mph, Launch 3: 40 mph

Track Length: 4,429 feet – more than three-quarters of a mile

Maximum Speed: 60 mph

Maximum Force: 4G

Height: 102 feet

Ride Duration: Three and a half minutes with loading and unloading, about one minute and 20 seconds of ride time.

Vehicle: five trains, 16 passengers per train

Guest Capacity: 1,370 guests per hour

Height requirement: 48 inches

Manufacturer: Intaride LLC, exclusive U.S. supplier of Intamin rides

Go to their site with the link below to get more information from questions fans had about Cheetah Hunt from Busch Gardens officials.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/2010/10/13/full-details-on-busch-gardens-new-cheetah-roller-coaster-and-habitat-videophotos/

The more I see and hear the more excited I am to ride it. I just hope it does not bang my head around like Maverick does for me.

To quote a famous person, "You can't fix stupid."

Someone has started a petition about changing the name.

The name is CHEETAH HUNT. The cheetah (trains) are hunting for prey throughout the plains of Africa. How is that hard to understand?

You are riding on the back of the cheetah as it hunts for it's prey.

Kind of like Diamondback. You are riding on the back of the snake through Rivertown. It isn't that hard to understand. Perhaps it is, who knows.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A few updates from RCPro....

The first update shows off views of the first launch and turn that are now in place. The supports are definitely a unique aspect for parts of this ride, as they will serve as themed elements

Cheetah Hunt First Launch

The next update shows off the tower for the figure-8 element that has gone up very fast over the past 3 days....

Figure-8 Element

RCPro also has some pictures posted of the figure-8 element constructed at the manufacturing plant in Hungary before being painted and shipped to BGT....definitely going to be an interesting experience

Completed Figure-8

As far as construction goes, all footers in the Rhino Rally canyon are now complete and construction has now shifted to the out and back runs of the ride. Those are the remaining footings to be put into place.

- Todd

I am not liking that figure 8 element it looks pretty ugle and would have been better if they kept it on the ground and made it a little larger. Other than that I think this ride looks great!

There are banners and other theme elements that will be attached to the tower that will somewhat mask the mass of supports in the center. The pictures of the completed figure-8 were before the pieces were painted or finished. Definitely can't wait to see how that part turns out for the actual experience. As for the first turn, I like the supports....they seem to give the illusion that it is being held up by stalks of bamboo.

I think that the "completed" figure eight in Hungary looks great! The lack of paint makes the supports resemble bamboo or foliage, and I think I might actually prefer that over the yellow supports in that particular area.

I like the look of the figure-eight supports a lot, though... Sort of like a more aesthetically pleasing version of Backlot's helices. A true work of art as much as it is a feat of engineering (whether or not that intended it to be, I couldn't guess).

p12702.jpg

Unfortunitly I di not take any photos with my camera phone otherwise I would be able to show you that the frirst half of the figure 8 is complete. As we entered today they were working at installing a section of track and by the end of our vist around 3pm they were finally brought that section back down. Robbie and I will upload some pictures later.

Figure 8 is now complete essentially......they also added one of the cosmetic supports to the top of the tower and still have two additional ones to install that will hold the banner that the train will go under as it crests the top.

12/15/2010 Update

I'm wondering if construction is now going to shift to the Rhino Rally canyon, as none of footings have been poured yet for the outward and return run of the ride.

While I enjoyed Busch Gardens Tampa, I actually had as much, if not more fun at Sea World. Granted, Busch Gardens was fun, and they do have a lot of Coasters (SheiKra and Kumba are both awesome coasters) the one bad thing is that Tampa is an hour drive from Orlando, where the rest of the Florida themers are located.

Cheetah Hunt does look like a fun ride. I don`t know when I`ll get down there to ride it though. I`d like to go on a great adventure to another kingly park first. A park that I have not been to in more than a decade.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would give everybody an update on the progress of Cheetah Hunt. RCPro has the newest update here. Also in the update are a few pictures of Gwazi, going through rehab. While on page two of those pictures (the Gwazi pictures), if you look at the second to last photo you can see what appears to be a wheel and a chassis through the ride structure. After some looking around on RCDB, I found a picture of Kentucky Rumbler's trains that have a chassis identical to those sitting behind Gwazi. Link to RCDB This leads me to believe Gwazi will finally be getting the long rumored Millennium Flyer trains.

This makes me much more excited to go to BGT this summer and give Gwazi another spin to see how the old PTC Gwazi compares to a new Millennium Flyer Gwazi with a retrack. Of course one can't forget Cheetah Hunt. I hope it turns out to be a fun ride. I look forward to it.