How much longer will KI's coasters/major rides last?

McSalsa

After reading a topic about Flight Deck's life expectancy, I came along a thought: how much longer will KI's other coasters last? Diamondback is brand new now, but will it be gone in 2030? Will Beast hit 50 or be demolished before then? How much longer will Vortex, AE, BLSC, FOF, or Racer last? Put the year you see it being removed. For example, if you think SOB will be torn down this offseason, put:

Son of Beast- 2010

Thus, this poll. How much longer do you think KI's rollercoasters will last? Or the major flats too, such as Delirium, Drop Tower, and Crypt. If you don't think a ride will even be removed (like if it gets protected due to ACE landmark status or something) put "ALKI" which is short for "As long as Kings Island remains..."

Enjoy the poll. If you don't like polls, click back.;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rides like Racer and The Beast are NOT protected just because they have been honored with ACE Landmark status. That indicates that the rides are significant historically, but it does not protect them from demolition, should the park decide to remove those rides. Its unlikely that will happen in the foreseeable future though. Wooden coasters can last quite a long time. The Racer and The Beast are relatively young still when compared to other rides that are currently operating still, such as the rides at Kennywood.

Rides like Racer and The Beast are NOT protected just because they have been honored with ACE Landmark status. That indicates that the rides are significant historically, but it does not protect them from demolition, should the park decide to remove those rides. Its unlikely that will happen in the foreseeable future though. Wooden coasters can last quite a long time. The Racer and The Beast are relatively young still when compared to other rides that are currently operating still, such as the rides at Kennywood.

Good point, ACE landmark status doesn't completly protect Beast & Racer, but it does help them out. Look at Big Dipper @ Geauga Lake. The other wooden coasters there? Destroyed. But it still stands there, and there are rumors it could be moved to another park. I would assume its historic status is why it was saved when the others were destroyed...or at least why Cedar Fair is thinking twice about it.

It seems to me that, most rides today are built with enough technology to help them stand the test of time. Unless space becomes an issue, I can't see many of KI's current major rides (with the exception of SOB, FD, The Crypt, and Vortex) being removed within the next...well, I can't even make a guess like that.

I really have no idea. But I hate the thought of any of my current favorites meeting their maker.

We have been relatively fortunate at KI and haven`t had any major coasters leave the park in recent years. But I remember sadly the day that it was announced that some classic rides like the Antique cars would be leaving, and that the Flying Eagles would be shipped down to Carowinds. I also remember hearing the news that the Keelboats would be leaving KI. I still miss riding high in the tree tops on that ride. And to think that it was replaced by the ride now known as The Crypt. It would have been interesting to see how Diamondback would have turned out if Kenton`s Cove: Keelboat Canal still existed to this day. But the last few years that ride was around, it was really starting to show its age.

It's really a shame, too... Geauga Lake's "Villain," while certainly not award winning, was a unique concept, and it was so funny to see trick track make a modern day comeback! "Raging Wolf Bobs" was always a great coaster. Even if all of the other coasters had been removed, I feel like Geauga Lake could've continued to operate primarily as a water park with three or four coasters (maybe, the three wooden coasters and the Double Loop). But that's a discussion best suited for elsewhere.

I know this is probably blasphemy for some, but I can't see Vortex lasting another 10 - 15 years. It's painful. You really can't deny it. In certain seats its entertaining, but the fact of the matter is, the layout is odd, the pacing seems off to me, and (as with all Arrow coasters) the transitions are awful. It's just too much for me. My friends and I literally get off and just feel drained. It's rough, but it's also long. Perhaps some new Vekoma replacement trains would help, as they have on Vekoma Boomerangs? But the biggest problem is the track transitions. If it didn't have over-the-shoulder restraints it would be a different story.

Rides that probably are here to stay for the foreseeable future: Beast, Racer, Backlot (pending effect maintence - if all the effects go, there's very little reason to keep it around), Diamondback, the kid's coasters, Drop Zone, Delirium.

Rides that I can see being removed / majorly overhauled in the foreseeable future (even a decade or two from now): Son of Beast, Invertigo, Vortex, Adventure Express, The Crypt.

SOB-2010-2012

Racer-2020

Beast-Not until KI closes.

Vortex-2020

Flight Deck-2015

Invertigo-2030 (Really because nothing else could go in this spot unless a new popular very compact coaster can be built)

BLSC-2020

Diamondback-2040

FOF-2030

Firehawk-2015 (Too long of lines, and an attempt to expand X-base into its own area will finish this)

AE-2030

Beastie-2050

Runaway Reptar-2030

I would have to disagree with you on Firehawk and Racer. I see nothing wrong with The Racers. People love them, and I could see it at an 80 year mark easily. Firehawk is an Amazing coaster. I consider it second next to Diamondback. The lines are always full because people don't mind about a 1 and a half hour wait. I think it is worth it. i could say: Racer 2060 Firehawk 2030

well KI is in a unique position where we have not yet hit the land lock phase. There is expansion available around the park. Terrain and hills have no porblems for amusement parks, look at Busch gardens as they have been able to use the land as natural dividers for parts of the park.... so with that being said minus a ride being a maintenance risk or a complete and utter failure many of the big rides will not be leaving for a good time, IMHO. Now if a ride does break down often or has lower ridership thats a different story, but KI does have some more land to expand into. But who knows maybe KI wont be around in 2050 and we will be mourning the loss of the park....

As others have said, The Racer and The Beast will stick around for as long as the park does. Cedar Fair would get some strong criticism for tearing down ACE Landmarks.

Vortex - 2020

Diamondback - 2050

Invertago - 2018

Son of Beast - 2010-2011

BLSC - 2025

I really don't like this thread. I see people saying Vortex will be gone In about ten years. I don't see Vortex going anywhere. Vortex is a person eater just like Diamondback. The park cares a lot about ride capacity. The last thing the park would do is get rid of rides like Vortex and Adventure Express .That is the reason your required to wear sandals on Diamondback. Most of the train would go over to the bins to put there flip flops in there and just crowd the station. For Flight deck I do see it gone in the next ten years but I really like it to stay.

Wow! I cant believe the people Saying that SOB will Be gone after this year or next. That amazes me. Kings Island Has wayyyy too much money, time and area committed to SOB. I Gurantee that ride will be redone, rebranded and reopened either in 2011 or 2012 and Cedar Fair will make a BIG deal out of it. Just like their opening a new coaster. Mark my Words. SOB WILL NOT BE DEMOLISHED!

Unless a miracle happens, SOB will not open anytime soon.

If I owned a company, I would not want my name associated with the failure that is SOB.

If they give it a Gemini make over..... Arrow steel coaster track with wooden structure..... We would have 2 very awesome Hypers. Not to mention, 2 of the fastest in Ohio.

I actually had a thread about that on another topic.. I think Steel track on this monster would be just the thing to Smooth out the ride, put the loop back in, and make it more enjoyable for everyone. Plus I could only imagine the Marketing strageties they could use for it. But as I said, SOB Isnt going anywhere. There just gonna redo it and rebrand it. IMO..

Kings Island Has wayyyy too much money, time and area committed to SOB. I Gurantee that ride will be redone, rebranded and reopened either in 2011 or 2012 and Cedar Fair will make a BIG deal out of it. .... SOB WILL NOT BE DEMOLISHED!

I think Steel track on this monster would be just the thing to Smooth out the ride, put the loop back in, and make it more enjoyable for everyone. ... But as I said, SOB Isnt going anywhere.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I, too, think Son of Beast has potential but wow....

As long as Kings Island is around (and probably after Kings Island closes) Racer and Beast will still be standing. Vortex I could see being removed in the next ten years along with Adventure Express and Top Gun. Invertigo and Backlot will probably be removed in the next twenty years along with Reptar. Diamondback will probably be around til' atleast 2060 as long as Kings Island is still open. Son of Beast as we know it right now is already dead, if it gets rebuilt and modified; it should be around for a long time.

This thread honeslty IMO does not make sense. I mean, hopefully most of the rides will stay for a long time. Most of the time anyways, parks don't close rides just because some people may think it's rough (SOB is different.....but Vortex, it may be rough, but, so?).

I disagree with most of the people on here... Each of the following is my opinion, so don't take it too seriously.

1.) Vortex will probably not be removed in the next 20 years. Not only does Vortex have an extremely high capacity, but it is one of the most famous rides in the park (People in High School talk about it all the time, more than The Beast, even), it is repainted every few years, and, most of the general public don't find it overly rough. (People who ride Son of Beast expect it to be smooth, like The Beast. People who ride Vortex know what other people have to say about its' roughness... So if they don't want a rough ride, they avoid.) Not to mention the lines generally being at least fifteen minutes long, on days where Diamondback's is a half hour.

2.) Adventure Express... Its a family favorite, and has quite a bit of nostalgia tied to it. Most amusement park companies understand how great nostalgia can be, in getting people to come to their park... Have you heard all that 5@5 'rumbling' about The Antique Car's removal? This management understands that people coming back to an amusement park after ten years on hiatus expect to return to a similar (or better) thing... They want their children to experience what they got to experience, and with their nostalgic impulse not being satisfied, they are much less likely to return again. In addition to this, Adventure Express has one of the top three park capacities, and the land it sits on is rather harsh, so I'll give AE at least 25 years.

3.) Flight Deck. Most any ride that goes over 8 years without a paint job is not much loved by their park. And for the people saying Flight Deck is a great family attraction, I have not once seen a parent suggest a ride on Flight Deck, and I see more small children riding Vortex...

Wow! I cant believe the people Saying that SOB will Be gone after this year or next. That amazes me. Kings Island Has wayyyy too much money, time and area committed to SOB. I Gurantee that ride will be redone, rebranded and reopened either in 2011 or 2012 and Cedar Fair will make a BIG deal out of it. Just like their opening a new coaster. Mark my Words. SOB WILL NOT BE DEMOLISHED!

You're right when you say that they have to much money, time, and space invested... so why invest more? There's been multiple lawsuits, bad publicity, and money used to fix the ride and upkeep it (even though it isn't running). The ride was even noted for not being built well when it first opened back in 2000. Cedar Fair didn't build the ride, own the park when it was built or approve the project.

Why would Cedar Fair waste more time, money, and reputation on the ride? There's nothing they can do to undo the bad reputation that SOB has caused. Not to mention that Cedar Fair isn't in the best economic situation right now. Why spend the money to keep it up just so it can attract more lawsuits?

1.) Vortex will probably not be removed in the next 20 years. Not only does Vortex have an extremely high capacity, but it is one of the most famous rides in the park (People in High School talk about it all the time, more than The Beast, even), it is repainted every few years, and, most of the general public don't find it overly rough. (People who ride Son of Beast expect it to be smooth, like The Beast. People who ride Vortex know what other people have to say about its' roughness... So if they don't want a rough ride, they avoid.) Not to mention the lines generally being at least fifteen minutes long, on days where Diamondback's is a half hour....

Compare and try to distinguish the coaster that was Shockwave at Six Flags Great America of Illinois. Try to distinguish it, that is.

3.) Flight Deck. Most any ride that goes over 8 years without a paint job is not much loved by their park....

And when was it that Racer was last painted exactly?

Terpy, just sayin'

Vortex can be seen from all over the park. It towers over the midway, and sports a dark blue color that fades quickly and is easily noticeable.

Flight Deck sits in the back corner of the park, where (for the most part) only guests who go back there to ride the coaster notice how it looks. It has a gray-ish color scheme that can go quite a long time without showing much wear.

Granted, with rust starting to appear, it is definitely time for FD to start getting some touch-up love. However, there are clearly understandable reasons as to way one coaster seems to be "treated better" than the other.

2.) Adventure Express... Its a family favorite, and has quite a bit of nostalgia tied to it.

3.) Flight Deck. And for the people saying Flight Deck is a great family attraction, I have not once seen a parent suggest a ride on Flight Deck, and I see more small children riding Vortex...

Regarding nostalgia and Adventure Express - wow, thanks for making me feel even older. I reserve that status for Racer, Beast, and Woodstock Express at Kings Island. Sadly, many of the other rides are long gone.

Flight Deck is hampered by it's location. While I will often take the hike back there with my six year old for a ride or two, it is located off the beaten path, in an area (Action Zone) that was/is not really geared for the younger/family crowd, and with a non-visible queue that leaves you guessing on the wait time (try taking a 6 year old into an hour long queue once or twice).

Bottom line for me, I hope they keep them all (except Son of Beast in its current state) for many years.

Park love and coaster painting, as I see it, have no correlation. Though, I still think it's ridiculous that Vortex gets painted in 2001 and again in 2009 when it doesn't need it, and then Flight Deck goes unpainted and rotting for years.

Keep in mind how bad Vortex looked before they painted it in 2001. It might as well have been painted white. I can't find a pic right now, but I found one in a magazine a while ago, and was shocked... that must have been it's original paintjob!