New Trims on I305

A friend and fellow KICer is at KD and has reported that they have added a trim to the first drop on I305. While I thought the ride was too intense, putting a trim on the first drop will kill any ride. This is just poor design that pushed the envelope too far and to bring it back in they have killed the ride. I am not surprised at all. I am glad I got to ride it with out the first drop trim.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, I actually saw your note about this on another site. I figured that with all of the reports of people graying out that they might do something, so like you I'm very happy I got to ride in a non-neutered state. I've gotta imagine the trim is going to take away all of the fun air on that first airtime hill. I also wonder if they're eventually going to remove the trim later in the ride or tweak it so it won't grab as hard.

Agreed about the fix. Part of the issue is that there's simply no other place to put the trim if you're trying to reduce the speed going around that turn. I'm glad you mentioned this in your initial I-305 report, as I probably would have been tempted to wait until later in the year to ride otherwise. This is sure to be big news once this spreads!

Funny how the trims on The Beast second hill does not kill the ride, but yet NONE of you have tried this new trim out and you KNOW absolutely for sure the ride is dead with it.

Have you ridden it yet? From what i'm hearing from a good friend who i'm pretty sure holds the record number of rides, its right there at the top, takes out all the air time and the ride is incredibly slower now on the drop... so much so that he's given up riding it for the day/week....

some call tunnel vision bad, i call it fun. it was surprising how smooth it was for how fast it was moving and how many g's it was pulling. ha, the ride had 1 tunnel (from the riders perspective). I thought they could just slow don the lift hill 10mph at the crest. It's already going like 17mph into the drop.

I have not ridden it but neither have you since the trim. My point is people need not to be so negative about every little detail. There are clearly mixed reviews because KD fansite says there no difference, your friend says there are

But i have ridden it before the trim. And you can't go too much on the KD site as of yet, b/c how many of them have actually ridden it? They just put them on!! Today's the first day with them on. How many of those on that fan site have ridden it since?

I think tunnel vision is fun too but being unconscious on a ride is not safe... especially one that fast with suck sharps turns (and yes I know most people come to on the 2nd hill).

As for the innevitable Intamin bashing... Did they decide how large of a footprint I305 had or did they have to fit it into a plot size decided by CF/KD management? I've got mixed feelings about Intamin/Intaride but I'm starting to believe people are harder on them than they should be considering how innovative they are. I used to be on the other side of the debate though, Maverick sure healed some of my negativity.

James Cole:

There is some kind of brake on the drop now. I just spoke with Clint after he rode it he seems to think that it my be the first instalment of the trims,and the lift seemed slower. The lift seems the same to me,but even Clint said the ride was slower than it was.

Not cool. But yes I'll give Mav a bit of credit. the rides are similar in the fact that you do have to be defensive to ride them. I'm mixed on this one really. part of me believes they need to be there, for safety reasons, on the whole if you have to be slightly defensive you can't do that unconscious, but I tunnel on both 305 and millie, and some times it worries/bothers/scares me, other times its great... idk we'll see when i head back there in oct :)

I'm glad I got to ride I305 before they added Cedar Fair's inevitable signature trim brakes. Why is it always necessary for this chain of parks to trim the everliving crap out of a coaster that is supposed to be intense and thrilling?

There was nothing wrong with I305.. people black out on Millennium Force all the time but there are zero trims on it. Thank heaven for Holiday World where they don't tame down their coasters for the sissies that can't handle them.

And no offense, but (I'm really going to go off here):

Everyone who hasn't ridden I305 really needs to stop thinking that because it's modeled somewhat after Maverick and because they watched the POV and because TPR's infamous Robb Alvey "blacked out" on it and because your friend of a friend of a cousin that works there said so, that there is awful head banging.

No.

I rode I305 twice on KD opening day. I did not get 1/4 the head banging on it that I did on Maverick, nor did I black out. I saw gray dots for like 2 seconds. Everyone is different and every coaster has a different effect on each person.

Stop with the assuming before you ride something. This is the exact same thing as judging a book by its cover, which many of you tell others not to do.

/rant

I'm not going to assume that the trims will kill the ride. I'm not happy about it seeing as how other CF trims operate, but I'm not going to jump to conclusions about how good or bad the ride may be before I go back to KD and ride it and see for myself.

Its sad, but completly expected. People were saying that CF would do it within 10 hours of its opening.

We (Tom76257, rotag, pkiboy, gnomeprisoner, Beast Man, DropZone99, and I) actually heard that the night of April 1 while we were on our way to Kings Dominion from people that rode it on media day. It spread like wildfire!

Complain,complain, complain, thats all I hear on this and many other coasters. People say "Trims kill this, trims killed that" So don't ride it. I hear the grumbling, but I'm still behind you in line for these same coasters. Stay home and let me have fun, or better yet take your billions of dollars and go build your own park with whatever coasters you like.

I know this kinda sounds hateful and yes you can have your own opinion, but the same people that are griping are the same people in line at the coasters that they have an issue with. SORRY, DON'T HATE ME FOR BEING HARSH!!!!

but the same people that are griping are the same people in line at the coasters that they have an issue with.

If I'm with say, a group of 8, and they all head to a coaster I'm not particularly fond of, I will get in line with them and ride it with them to spend more time with them.. it's not always about the coaster.

So just rode. Don't know if they are trims. It's a small long bar with no fins. I say no. Timmy crew said "no comment"

Yep the ride was killed so much KD fansite couldn't even tell the difference. That is from their twitter

It's probably a mounting point for trims, like the metal plate under the magnetic fins on The Beast. And, I'm *sure* that no fansite tends to be cheerleaders for the park that their site is about, no sir.

but the same people that are griping are the same people in line at the coasters that they have an issue with.

If I'm with say, a group of 8, and they all head to a coaster I'm not particularly fond of, I will get in line with them and ride it with them to spend more time with them.. it's not always about the coaster.

Your probably not the one I have any issue with. It is the complainers that are usually a buzzkill. Please go have fun with your friends. BTW I have never met a coaster I didnt like(LOL) maybe some I'm not fond of......

you guys sound like a group of crazy conspirators..... If a company thinks that a trim is necessary to save on maintenance or to keep people safe, then guess what - the ride needs a trim. Its not to keep the "sissies" safe as you so elegantly put it giga. Everyone involved needs to step back and look at it like this, theres still a pretty kick but coaster that just opened up this year on the eastern sea board. Plus if anyone wants to complain about a ride great but it does not good, and complaining in line doesnt help either......

Guest rcfreak339

^Ouch, Ouch, Ouch! Roller Coaster at New York, New York was the most horrid ride I've EVER been on. If anyones ever out there it's not even worth a stop.

^Ouch, Ouch, Ouch! Roller Coaster at New York, New York was the most horrid ride I've EVER been on. If anyones ever out there it's not even worth a stop.

Agreed. Its not only a terrible ride that hurts, it costs lots of money. (I think it was 15 dollars when I rode)