Kings Island Museum

McSalsa

While reading the "Vortex loop arch" topic, this idea popped in my head. It's sad, but eventually, all of KI's rides will be destroyed. Sure, the woodies can last up to 100 years or even more, but steel coasters usually "die" after 20 or so. Some of KI's steel coasters have already gone beyond this age. Removal may be the only option for some of them. Even Diamondback will, after a long time, have to come down.

However, there may be a way to perserve the history and legacy of these rides after they are gone: build a Museum!

The Museum could contain things such as:

Old Roller Coaster Trains

Defunct Ride Signs & Logos

Old Shirts, Cups, etc. from defunct rides

Pieces of track from old roller coasters

Other things removed from other areas of the park

Models of roller coasters in or that used to be in the park, such as the SOB and Diamondback models, etc.

POV videos of defunct coasters on screens (probably next to a car or piece of track, etc)

Pictures of Kings Island from the past

A gift shop (selling defunct ride clothing and stuff perhaps?) and food court

This was simply an idea that popped in my head, but I think it would be a worthy attraction to a park with so much history as Kings Island. They already have some stuff that could be put in there, such as the King Cobra trains (thus getting em' out of the FOF bowl!). It's also a bit of shame that some of the stuff that could have gone in has been scrapped though, such as the SOB loop (which would be a PERFECT thing to see as you walk in!) and The Bat trains...(I could honestly picture, if FD gets removed, a piece of its track right next to a piece of Bat track with cars on both tracks).

What do you guys think about this idea? Suggestions? Etc?

^^king cobra's trains were sent to kings dominion a while back for use as spare parts.

...but, i love this idea, i even asked about it one day in the 5@5, to see if we could get one in tower gardens, then someone else asked it, then they were answered, :lol: , i would love the model ideas, as long as they were accurate, but i don't see them having sections of track from every defunct ride, after a while they would run out of room to place newer additions.

How do you know all will come down? Time will tell whether lots of B&M models will be torn down .

Good point, B&Ms seem super-reliable if kept up well. Then again, not everything in the museum may need to be defunct. Beast will eventually need re-tracked again, so perhaps some old Beast track could end up there, and sometimes accidents occur and damage roller coaster trains too, though I'm not sure how I would react to seeing a wrecked Diamondback train or something...

The park did do something for the 25 anniversary. It was where Ski Lab was they had The Bat Sign and a lot of old pictures and maps up from different years. If the park still had this it would not take that much to put it up for the 40th.

Wonder if its still sitting in the park warehouse or did people take the maps and pictures.

Was there not going to be a book about the history of Kings Island? Charles J. Jacques, Jr has written several books about other amusements parks, including Kennywood, and Hersheypark.

I remember reading an article several years ago, perhaps 2004 or 2005, that he was going to be at a library in the Cincinnati area to talk to people and get their stories about their experiences at KI. That was the last that I had heard.