Kentucky Kingdom

Did someone say it was?

Terp, who likes to ask reasonably accommodating questions.

That's the way I interpreted it:

So why not Kentucky Kingdom? Director of Operations Lesly Birkner said management saw it as a safety risk.

"The policy was created to be more restrictive to the loading and unloading process as we began from square one," Birkner said.

With the park just a month old, Birkner said inexperienced staff members couldn't perform the specialized loading procedures for people in wheelchairs while still maintaining the security of the general public.

"We have to make a line on that," Birkner said. "Safety is first. We're starting with a new team."

Normally, one must be able to transfer in and out of coaster ride vehicles to ride. A paraplegic cannot do that. Absent attachment devices like a few Universal and Disney rides have, paraplegics generally cannot ride coasters.

I disagree. That's a blanket statement, but it depends on the individual. Paraplegics have impaired use of their lower extremities. Some, like my friend Brian, can stand unassisted and walk short distances while holding on to something. I've had him hold on to me for support while transferring into and out of coasters and other rides at Kings Island, Kentucky Kingdom and Canada's Wonderland, as well as plenty of go-carts in Pigeon Forge and Sevierville. But most of the time, he just rolls the chair up next to the ride and uses that for support to transfer in, then I or someone else will roll the chair to a place that's out of the way while we ride.

I was shocked to learn years ago that Brian is actually classified as a quadriplegic. I had always thought that quadriplegics couldn't use their arms at all. Brian has use of his arms, but his hands are basically curled into fists. He can move the fingers with help from his other hand, but has limited digital mobility on their own. Because of that, he's considered a quad. So even some quadriplegics can ride coasters!

I've learned much over the 19 years I've known him. I remember the first time I saw him stand up out of his chair, I thought "What the h%$& ???" Spinal cord injuries are interesting; slight differences in where the spinal cord was damaged, as well as an individual body's response to physical therapy, can cause a world of difference in how one's body is able to move.

I know I gave KK a glowing review after opening day, but until they get these issues straightened out, they have joined a few other select companies on my boycott list (not that I was planning on going back there until next year at the earliest, but still...). Because of Brian and the thankfully short amount of time that my sister had to use a wheelchair to get around while battling lymphoma, this is an issue that is close to my heart.

• Like 8

There have been many factors that make me believe what I am about to suggest BUT.......

Well....Quite honestly, I believe that the future of this Louisville Kingdom isn't looking very bright. In the case of Kentucky Kingdom and this "first" season, it's seeming that the actions are speaking just as loud as the words.....Well.....The words of the park employees and management that is.

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just trying to put together some very obvious things that have already been discussed in this topic, and point out some new things.....

Anyway, it's only the end of June..... Let's watch!

....Your turn Mr. Hart.

• Like 3

WTOP Newsradio, Washington, DC, just ran a short segment about state fairs. In it, they said that Kentucky Kingdom will no longer be a part of the Kentucky State Fair, the fence will no longer come down, and the park will continue to operate as if the fair were not going on.

Really?

If true, is this a good thing? Or is it an indication of a chilling of relationships with the Fair Board?

A fence, a literal fence, between an open Kentucky Kingdom and the Kentucky State Fair.

Say it ain't so!

• Like 3

It was.

That's why I'm wondering if this recent report is true. If it is, I suspect Kentucky Kingdom's apparent status in complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act may have resulted in the Fair Board wanting to separate the fair from the amusement park and to make crystal clear that the Kentucky State Fair and Kentucky Kingdom are separate and apart.

• Like 4

Oh my:

http://www.lex18.com/news/changes-coming-to-state-fair-kentucky-kingdom

http://www.lanereport.com/33906/2014/06/kentucky-state-fair/

$9.95 additional to add Kentucky Kingdom during the fair. Season passes valid. Waterpark closed.

$8 Fair Admission, $4 seniors 55+ and children. $8 parking.

This is the worst of all possible worlds. A zoo it will be.

• Like 10

That's tough... I understand trying to get people through the gates but this could be bad. $18 tickets ($8 for the fair and $10 for KK) may lead to big crowds but long lines, hot temps, and a crowd that is notorious for having some bad apples... seems like a problem just waiting to happen.

• Like 4

And the carnival operator was doubtless making good money on the crowd. Now, with $9.99 ride all dry ride wristbands at Kentucky Kingdom, this is bad news for the carnival operator AND for those who would otherwise have enjoyed a reasonably priced Kentucky Kingdom.

$9.95. Really? One presumes that Mr. Hart and his staff have priced this for optimal revenue.

9.95. I'm still shocked.

But $9.95?

• Like 2

Oh my:

http://www.lex18.com/news/changes-coming-to-state-fair-kentucky-kingdom

http://www.lanereport.com/33906/2014/06/kentucky-state-fair/

$9.95 additional to add Kentucky Kingdom during the fair. Season passes valid. Waterpark closed.

$8 Fair Admission, $4 seniors 55+ and children. $8 parking.

This is the worst of all possible worlds. A zoo it will be.

Would be some great people watchin'...if one could find a safe place to do so.

• Like 8

I am currently at KK as I type this. Some observations:

Lightning Run crews are not very quick. About 1 dispatch every 4 minutes today. I'll give them a pass for now because it's year 1 and early in the season. This absolutely MUST be fixed at some point sooner rather than later, though.

The park looks great. Fresh paint all over and very clean.

RMC outdid themselves on Thunder Run. It rides like a new coaster.

Lightning Run is amazing. Better, even, than my beloved Maggie. Possibly even better than Phantom's Revenge. This ride alone is absolutely worth the cost of admission.

Season pass processing is very quick and easy. In and out in less than 5 minutes.

All in all, I'm impressed. The park is not remotely perfect, but I see a great deal of potential here.

• Like 6

I'm sure Ed Hart studied that fact that tics for the Indiana State Fair, held over 18 days in mid-late August are about $18 at the gate and a few bucks less if purchased in advance. I agree that this is going to be a zoo. If I were the operator of a midway who had recently contracted with the KY Fair Board to operate during the fair, I would be seeking to cancel that agreement post haste in light of this news.

• Like 6

http://www.wlky.com/news/attendance-revenue-up-for-reopened-kentucky-kingdom/26792270#!89UV6

The story people above where talking about. If you account for a 24% increase with the attendance the last time it operated(by six flags) was 543,000 attendance must be 673,000 a pretty big increase. Also revenue is up by 65 percent. I geuss this is pretty good news and the season is not over yet. It still has more time to meet its goal (if I remember) was 800,000

I read some of the comments on Facebook last night about breast feeding. Kentucky Kingdom just cannot get a break.

I breast fed my daughter when she was a baby in public (including Kentucky Kingdom) and I never had an issue with anyone ever saying anything. I always tried to be modest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk