Kentucky Kingdom

I wonder if Cedar Point is removing Mantis in hopes of purchasing Lightning Run? Seriously though this is not good news in any way for Kentucky Kingdom. Been a rough end of the season. PR admission baffoonery (Thanks for that one Terpy), Thunderbird craps all over next seasons possible improvements, horrible fair attendance, and the Kingdom finds itself soon to be at the center of a charged political environment.

Compare Hard Rock Park and Kentucky Kingdom respectively after their first season. HRP was better positioned to succeed at this point then Kentucky Kingdom is.

How is the decision to remove Mantis in any way bad news for Kentucky Kingdom? I don't think anyone on here can say exactly how the Kingdom is doing financially, especially considering your statements are based off of a few** PR mistakes/ perceptions. I think you all will be mighty surprised when next year rolls around. I'll leave it at that.

Sarcasm is like a fine wine, many enjoy it while others can't figure it out. Most times my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek, especially as Cedar Point removes Banshee err Mantis to make room for Lightning Run and Kentucky Kingdom installs Chang2 next year.

Secondly I think many will not be surprised when next year rolls around and the New Kentucky Kingdom doesn't live up to promises, Especially when there is no buyer for the property because of the less than ideal land lord and the park will be a major political pawn next year. I am not a fan of Koolaid and will hold off consuming any.

• Like 3

There is so much I don't understand.

Kentucky Kingdom is open the remaining Saturdays and Sundays in September. 8 hours a day only. Closing at 7. Really. Closed for the year thereafter.

The water park is also open the remaining Saturdays and Sundays in September. Seven hours a day. Closing at six.

The lucrative (HIGHLY lucrative) Boo season?

The Kingdom is closed.

My head hurts.

Open water parks on September weekends in Kentuckiana? Closed park during Boo season? Closing at 7 on SATURDAYS?

Yep. My head hurts.

• Like 4

There is so much I don't understand.

Kentucky Kingdom is open the remaining Saturdays and Sundays in September. 8 hours a day only. Closing at 7. Really. Closed for the year thereafter.

The water park is also open the remaining Saturdays and Sundays in September. Seven hours a day. Closing at six.

The lucrative (HIGHLY lucrative) Boo season?

The Kingdom is closed.

My head hurts.

Open water parks on September weekends in Kentuckiana? Closed park during Boo season? Closing at 7 on SATURDAYS?

Yep. My head hurts.

Seems like they enjoy doing the opposite of what one would call smart business decisions...

• Like 1

If last weekend was any indication of how things are going, Thunder Run was literally a walk-on all day. On a Saturday. With beautiful temperatures and crystal-clear skies. On a coaster that runs one train. Every single time I went to ride it, there was at least one row in the station with nobody in line for it.

So, in what should be ideal circumstances for drawing a crowd, they couldn't reliably get 24 people in line for one of their flagship rides within any given two minute period. And, this was with their only other (non-kiddie) coaster down for well over half the day.

Things aren't looking so hot in the Hartland.

• Like 6

When I went to the Kingdom in late July, I saw how much had been put into getting the park ready for this year. I was just curious and kind of angry about the hours. During the regular season, they opened at 11 and closed at 7. Tickets were $40 per day, which is $5 an hour. At Kings Island, admission (walk up ticket price) is $52. The park is open during the regular season from 10-10. For each hour, a guest only pays $4.33. Currently, Kings Island has more attractions than the Kingdom, and you're able to enjoy more on your $4.33 than your $5 spent at Kentucky Kingdom.

The Kingdom needed to stay open longer, the opportunity cost of them staying open two hours longer is probably much less than the benefit that it will give.

I agree with terp, who wants to go in a pool past Labor Day? Either put on a Halloween event or save money for next season.

• Like 3

This is year one. Not year two nor three, year one, the test year.

Kentucky Kingdom was one of the very first parks in the country to offer a halloween event. I see this event coming back in the near future.

The park has already announced via email that parks hours will increase on weekdays and the park will be open more days next season.

• Like 4

I hope so.

One surefire way to strengthen Kings Island's line-up and increase Cedar Fair's investment in the park would be a strong Kentucky Kingdom. A park that closes at 7 PM is not going to inspire investment and expansion in competitors. A park that closes at 7PM and ends the season in September is a doormat.

• Like 3

Not to mention, a stronger Kentucky Kingdom also necessitates a stronger Holiday World, Dollywood, and Beech Bend, All of which in turn serve yet again to force Kings Island to keep up.

Plus, an operating Kentucky Kingdom means I can ride coasters in the two weeks between the end of KI's summer season and the start of Haunt, which I have already taken advantage of once, and may again this weekend!

• Like 6

In fact, Hellevator debuted at their Halloween event in 1995. The name and the marketing at the time were great.

Kentucky Kingdom was one of the very first parks in the country to offer a halloween event. I see this event coming back in the near future.

The park has already announced via email that parks hours will increase on weekdays and the park will be open more days next season.

Homestar, I wish I could do that too. I liked Thunder Run a bit more than Lightning Run, but both were fun coasters.

On Lightning Run, I also didn't like how the Kingdom only ran one train during weekdays. The line was almost an hour long, and their loading times on the one train were slow already. I asked a ride op why they weren't using the second train, and he told me that they only use the second train on weekends. Why not use it all the time? (If someone has an answer, please share! I like learning.)

Also, the queues for their coasters were way out of hand. If you would stand to one side of the stairs leading up to the station, someone behind you would go in front of you. I am glad that Kings Island has 'line regulators' that help distribute guests to different rows.

Lets hope so. Maybe in year 3 or year 4 they could hire a PR company...

• Like 5

Lets hope so. Maybe in year 3 or year 4 they could hire a PR company...

The already have one... Haven't they done a GREAT job (sarcasm noted): Bandy Carroll Hellige Advertising & Public Relations

www.bch.com - though the site seems to be down. Not a good sign for a marketing firm.

The test year? Does that mean if they fail the test they wont be back for years 2, 3, or 4? Unless Hart & Co. find a buyer who wants to operate a small park, in a bad location, with a history of failure, and a not so friendly land lord, I am afraid year 2 if it exists will have many of the same issues as year 1.

• Like 3

The 2015 Season Pass add says that they will have extended hours and more operating days next season. I hope they intend to operate into October and do a Halloween event. That is an easy way to boost yearly attendance. I was surprised it took Holiday World so long to do a Halloween event there...

• Like 2