Kentucky Kingdom

Hmm...did Arrow and Intamin have a baby or something? :P 'Cuz this looks kind of like a Mega-Lite, but from another company. If this ride can offer mega-lite like thrills while being smooth and reliable at the same time...KK may have a smash hit. If this was $7,000,000 as proposed...they got a steal here.

Did my research, and the official model name is the "Hyper GT-X Coaster" from Chance Rides. There's a video that I'm assuming is the "standard" model (and the video calls it a "HyperLite Roller Coaster"), but Lightning Run appears to be a custom version:

• Like 4

Thanks for posting season pass prices. Did it list regular ticket prices? The price for the season pass is reasonable. I just don't know if if will warrant more than one trip to KK next season. I know when my kids were younger, it was great to take them to, not sure if it will be the wow factor it used to be when they were little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, they posted regular ticket prices. Prices are as follows:

• General admission: $44.95
  • Children under 48": $34.95
  • Seniors 55+: $34.95
  • Military with proper I.D.: $34.95

Parking is "currently" $8.00 per vehicle. I'm guessing that's one of the things the fair board's in charge of.

EDIT: In terms of live entertainment, I thought this was interesting: there's going to be a live sea lion show in the new Aqua Theater. Live animals are certainly something none of the other parks in the area have to offer.

Second EDIT after a like by LoraX: Here's the operating calendar:

29y2j36.png

• Like 2

OK, got the page to load, and here's my reactions...

KENTUCKY KINGDOM (Adult Rides)

Lightning Run: Nice. Looks like an interesting roller coaster...

FearFall: Will be a cool ride, but the Hellavataor/Superman:TOP comparisons that will happen...this may not have been a super-smart move.

Professor John's Flying Machines: Great, Kings Island's 2 closest competitors have this ride and KI does not. :wacko: Wink Wink, Matt Ouimet & Greg Schied...

5D Cinema: Interesting concept. I approve.

Bumper Cars: You pretty much need these, if you have an amusement park, IMO. :P

My Overall Grade for New Adult Additions in Dry Park: B+
A good-looking steel coaster, a medium-sized drop ride, Flying Eagles, 5D Cinema, and Bumper Cars...not horrible. I'm not super blown away, but still good additions, especially considering their limited budget.

HURRICANE BAY NEW ADDITIONS

Family Wave Lagoon: Pretty nice to have.

Adventure River: These are relaxing and fun, based on my experience at Holiday World with them.

Plummet Summit: Can't really go wrong with a family waterslide.

Kid's Cove: Hey...the kids need something too!

Speed Slide Complex- Deep Water Dive & Wave Runner: Oh Fudge...121 feet of terror, and this is something you cannot find at Kings Island OR Holiday World...I am already scared. Even the smaller slide sounds thrilling.

Wikiwiki Wai Slide Complex- WOW...Zoombabwe, Bakuli, and Hyena Falls all wrapped into one slide complex...or at least it appears like it.

Grade: A+
The waterpark is where the new KK blows it out of the water. :P These are AWESOME additions. They are clearly aiming directly at Holiday World with these.

KING LOUIE'S PLAYGROUND (even though this section I have no interest i myself, as an adult...)

I won't rate the stuff individually here...but it's a few small kids rides...hey, that's really all little kids even need to have fun.
Grade: B-

PRICING

Tickets: $44.95 General Admission, $8 Parking, $59.95 Season Passes

Same price as Holiday World, except no free drinks or free parking. Granted, if you're coming from Indianapolis, you do save on gas as it is a lot closer...and wow, those are some DIRT CHEAP season passes. I hope they have good security to keep everything in check, because that's part of the reason KK failed last time...I wonder if the $1 drinks are for all, or just season passholders...if so, then they are really pushing the season passes. I also wonder what the food prices are going to be like in comparison to KI & HW...

OVERALL
Good additions, especially on the Waterpark side. The park should at least get off to a good start. Can they keep it up, though? That remains to be seen...

• Like 1

Well, this coaster looks fun.

//

Professor John's Flying Machines: Great, Kings Island's 2 closest competitors have this ride and KI does not. :wacko: Wink Wink, Matt Ouimet & Greg Schied...

More than just 2 close competitors:

Stricker's Grove, Camden Park, Kentucky Kingdom, Columbus Zoo, Holiday World, Indiana Beach, Cedar Point... all just within the OH/NKY/WV/IN area.

• Like 2

PRICING

Same price as Holiday World, except no free drinks or free parking. Granted, if you're coming from Indianapolis, you do save on gas as it is a lot closer...and wow, those are some DIRT CHEAP season passes. I hope they have good security to keep everything in check, because that's part of the reason KK failed last time...I wonder if the $1 drinks are for all, or just season passholders...if so, then they are really pushing the season passes. I also wonder what the food prices are going to be like in comparison to KI & HW...

I don't think the low price is going to stay must past opening weekend.

From the FAQ PAGE:

How long will the $59.95 season pass offer be available?

The Kentucky Kingdom season pass is being offered at a very special introductory price of $59.95. Buying your pass now ensures you get the best value!

To me the introductory price means that it'll be a short lived price. Then saying buying your pass now ensures you get the best value is saying that the pricing will not last long. I'm sure it'll be like other parks that run specials on their passes and then move the price up later on.

Sea lion show could be cool. I knew they would have to do something unique to the area. Didn't KI have a dolphin of sea lion show years ago? Seems like I vaguely remember there being one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did. It was called Salt Water Circus. There are even pictures of it on some sites. It was behind the Eiffel Tower, I think where Internatational Showplace is now.

Well, this coaster looks fun.

//

More than just 2 close competitors:

Stricker's Grove, Camden Park, Kentucky Kingdom, Columbus Zoo, Holiday World, Indiana Beach, Cedar Point... all just within the OH/NKY/WV/IN area.

Yikes! Then it's even worse now... :wacko:

PRICING

I don't think the low price is going to stay must past opening weekend.

From the FAQ PAGE:

How long will the $59.95 season pass offer be available?

The Kentucky Kingdom season pass is being offered at a very special introductory price of $59.95. Buying your pass now ensures you get the best value!

To me the introductory price means that it'll be a short lived price. Then saying buying your pass now ensures you get the best value is saying that the pricing will not last long. I'm sure it'll be like other parks that run specials on their passes and then move the price up later on.

Good point, it probably will have to go up. I wonder how large the discount on tickets, if you can get a discount (I'm about 80% sure you probably will be able to) will be...Holiday World offers $5 off tickets, reducing their price to $40 from $45. Kings Island is a big price drop when discounts are used- normal tickets are $56.99, but Kroger stores here in Central Indiana usually have them for $21 off (85% sure that's the discount) so they should only cost $35.99 at Kroger in 2014...

The picture they show has seating similar to a Drop Tower by A.R.M.http://www.armrides.com/More abrupt of a drop than the Kings I. drop.(edit to add): The tower is am thinking of is co-produced by Larson and A.R.M. Same thing as Waldameer and Knoebels. http://www.larsonintl.com/pages/super-shot/super-shot.html

Well after seeing that second site I can say I'm not that impressed with that attraction. Why would they build a 12 person Drop Tower? The previous one held 20 and it's wait time was like 20 minutes... I can't even imagine this one, especially if it goes back in the same spot. They had so many options for Drop Towers. Intamin, Huss, S&S and they chose one that looks like it belongs at a carnival

After looking at the map and new coaster, this is pretty cool and I wish Kentucky Kingdom all the best. Honestly, I think my favorite part of this is that capsule drop slide (Deep Water Dive) as I've never been on one before. I'm excited to ride Thunder Run and somewhat excited about Lightning Run (who knows, it could be awesome), but I think this park will be more focused on the overall collection of rides rather than just focusing on the coasters.

• Like 2

My guess is that the daily walk-up ticket price is $45 primarily to make season passes and discounted tickets seem like a better value. Considering discounted HW (~$36) and KI (~$29) ticket prices at KY Kroger stores, I'd expect discounted adult one-day tickets to be under $30.

If KK is a success, it will be interesting to see how HW's new management and KI respond in future seasons. With the focus on the waterpark, Soak City's offerings will certainly look lackluster in comparison.

• Like 3

Lightning Run looks like a fun ride that should deliver some good air. I am almost more excited for the ARM/Larson Drop Tower though. All in all it looks like they are getting a lot for their money for next year. Though it will be much more interesting to see how much they are spending 4-5 years down the line (if at all).

• Like 4