Cedar Fair Is Not Disney--Motley Fool

Guest TombraiderTy

goodyellowkorn182, I don't think a Disneyland annual pass is directly comparable to a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass. The first only grants you access to two theme parks, the other to over a dozen amusement and water parks. A better comparison would feature the "Disney Premier Passport", which grants admission to both Disneyland Resort parks, all four Walt Disney World parks, two water parks, and more.

A Disney Premier Passport costs $749, while a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass is only $164 (and keep in mind that it could be used year-round too, thanks to Knott's Berry Farm). The Disney pass is approximately 4.57 times more expensive, so Dalefan is pretty close to the five times figure.

The insinuation there is that most or even many Platinum Pass holders actually make it to more than a few parks. At Cedar Point, the Platinum Pass is the ONLY choice if you want parking included, and I'd wager that many Cedar Point Platinum Pass holders know that as the main perk, NOT access to a few seasonal amusement parks scattered around the country. The average Platinum Passholder at Kings Island probably gets up to Cedar Point one or two times a year, but I don't think the average holder makes it to Carowinds, Kings Dominion, Canada's Wonderland, Cedar Point, Worlds of Fun, Valleyfair, and Dorney Park, then jetsets off to Great America and again in the winter for Knotts. If we really have to compare, then I don't think Knott's Berry Farm in California being open year round makes the Platinum Pass any more "valuable."

Really, they can't be compared. Some of us here would doubtlessly say that the two parks of Disneyland Resort together offer a better experience in every single way than all of the Cedar Fair parks combined. Amusement Today disagrees. But then again, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts doesn't usually feel the need to pay for advertising space to win awards - their parks speak for themselves. (Not the best food + not the cleanest + not the most friendly employees + not the best entertainment = best theme park?)

My point was, the crazy, out of this world figures people get into their head about Disney Parks and how expensive they are to visit is such a shame. It's just not true, as I think I proved pretty well above, whether or not it feels comparable to the lush, luxurious experience of Cedar Point. :P I went with the same assumptions. I got a 3-day park hopper and then found that the price to upgrade to an annual pass was (I kid you not) $165.00. And just that simply, my plans for the summer changed drastically.

• Like 1

I have seen that video previously. In my opinion, Ouimet's expression throughout most of the video was that of "Is this what you really consider quality?", especially after passing that food stand. :lol: I can't wait to see the qualitative changes made by Ouimet. Yes, Cedar Fair is definently not Disney, but the new CEO's vision and priorities are much different from that of Kinzel. Perhaps he will finally be the one to see the potential and quality that once adorned parks such as Kings Island, and that a quality park does not mean creating a concrete parking lot with lots of steel rails.

Carowinds did not have substantial local competition, and yet so few people attended its 2005 Winterfest that the Charlotte Observer ran the headline, Walking In An Empty Wonderland.

I find it interesting that zoos (Columbus and Cincy, namely) have found such success with their wintertime events while Paramount's efforts floundered. In Columbus, the zoo typically sees its highest daily attendance records broken not during mid summer or even Ohio's pleasant fall, but during the cold, December "Wildlights" dates. Sure, the zoo's smaller infastructure might make it easier for them in terms of ROI, but the park's dramatically larger scope and attractions roster, one would think, would lead to a very successful event.

When I think about Kings Island, I think about teenagers running free, roller coasters, a lot of walking, etc. These are great things, but they don't necessarily bring out that concept of "Family" What are you marketing? I want to be careful to word what I'm saying correctly. Kings Island is a great family park, but roller coasters and teens are not going to bring in the older crowd. This is where Zoo's are different. It is worth the merit and the exhaustion because everyone can enjoy everything as a group. And zoo's don't come out and say it, but you will always find a scene or Two relating directly to Christ. A lot of people are fully aware of this, and appreciate it. The lower prices don't hurt anything either. And at zoo's you can enjoy the warmth of a heated animal house without having to spend money between all of the shops and food stands. Kings Island is a great value, and I truly miss WinterFest and I wish that they would bring it back. Another factor is that too many young couples with children have no memory of ever visiting a WinterFest at KI, where the Zoo's have built quite a reputation that has been shared by generations.

• Like 1

The insinuation there is that most or even many Platinum Pass holders actually make it to more than a few parks. At Cedar Point, the Platinum Pass is the ONLY choice if you want parking included, and I'd wager that many Cedar Point Platinum Pass holders know that as the main perk, NOT access to a few seasonal amusement parks scattered around the country. The average Platinum Passholder at Kings Island probably gets up to Cedar Point one or two times a year, but I don't think the average holder makes it to Carowinds, Kings Dominion, Canada's Wonderland, Cedar Point, Worlds of Fun, Valleyfair, and Dorney Park, then jetsets off to Great America and again in the winter for Knotts. If we really have to compare, then I don't think Knott's Berry Farm in California being open year round makes the Platinum Pass any more "valuable."

Really, they can't be compared. Some of us here would doubtlessly say that the two parks of Disneyland Resort together offer a better experience in every single way than all of the Cedar Fair parks combined. Amusement Today disagrees. But then again, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts doesn't usually feel the need to pay for advertising space to win awards - their parks speak for themselves. (Not the best food + not the cleanest + not the most friendly employees + not the best entertainment = best theme park?)

My point was, the crazy, out of this world figures people get into their head about Disney Parks and how expensive they are to visit is such a shame. It's just not true, as I think I proved pretty well above, whether or not it feels comparable to the lush, luxurious experience of Cedar Point. :P I went with the same assumptions. I got a 3-day park hopper and then found that the price to upgrade to an annual pass was (I kid you not) $165.00. And just that simply, my plans for the summer changed drastically.

You also have to think about that a normal package deal without airfair and rental car is $5,000 for Disney. I looked it up. People do look up the stuff. You can't just say people don't. You also have to put in the food that they charge for, the bag fees and other stuff. Disney anymore for a family of 4 is just not as cheap as it once was. And if Disney is pose to be so good, then why don't they get the #1 park award then? Cedar Point has been getting that.

And if Disney is pose to be so good, then why don't they get the #1 park award then? Cedar Point has been getting that.

this could be used as proof to show how creditable the golden ticket awards actually are- Cedar Point and the disney properties are both great, but you really cannot compare the two.

• Like 2

Re-read my post. I carefully explained that Cedar Fair Entertainment Company pays big bucks to advertise in Amusement Today. Coincidentally, of course, their parks take home many honors. Six Flags does not pay money to the magazine, and typically is lucky to nab a couple and no more.

I also must state again - year after year, Cedar Point is crowned "best amusement park in the world" by the magazine who Cedar Fair pays exorbitant amounts of money to advertise in without taking home the award for best food, best entertainment, best new ride, cleanest park, friendliest staff, most beautiful park, etc. Now, how can a park not be recognized in ANY of those areas, but be crowned the best overall? Shouldn't the "best" completely sweep those categories and be named #1 in them all?

There are true, valid, representative, statistically-arrived-at ways to determine 'best of' lists. See Mitch Hawker's coaster poll.

Then there is Amusement Today's method.

The powers that be (or maybe, were) at Cedar Fair obviously saw great value in marketing that Cedar Point is "the best amusement park in the world," and thus continued to assure - by any means necessary - that it retains that "honor."

Cedar Fair is NOT Disney. But things are going to change. My instinct is that Mr. Ouimet DOES understand that a world class park requires world class foods, shows, shops, environments, landscaping, and family rides.

• Like 1

I agree that there's not enough for kids. Last summer, while going to the Stuntcars, a dad was measuring his daughter to see if she could ride. She couldn't.

"There's no rides here for me." And there wasn't. Can a person who doesn't meet height requirement for Stuntcars ride Adventure Express, the coaster with 'kid' written allover it?

There's rides for rugrats, rides for adults, but not enough rides for someone who's just grown out of the stuffed mascot phase.

I agree that there's not enough for kids. Last summer, while going to the Stuntcars, a dad was measuring his daughter to see if she could ride. She couldn't.

"There's no rides here for me." And there wasn't. Can a person who doesn't meet height requirement for Stuntcars ride Adventure Express, the coaster with 'kid' written allover it?

There's rides for rugrats, rides for adults, but not enough rides for someone who's just grown out of the stuffed mascot phase.

Got to disagree here. My kids have both grown through the 48" requirement in recent years and never had a problem with not having rides to enjoy.

What I believe KI is missing is more rides that the family can enjoy together. There are precious few options for a parent or grandparent, who doesn't want to ride a coaster or spin, to enjoy with the younguns.

• Like 1

The Antique Cars are never coming back as long as the fuel is prohibitively expensive.

Electric Cars

Chance Rides electric car rides are a favorite among park patrons of all ages. Whether watching or riding, guests are sure to appreciate the detailed designs. Available in 50s or antique models, the cars utilize a buss bar system with electric controls that allow riders to actually “steer” the cars.

http://www.chancemorgan.com/rides/electric_cars.html

• Like 1

I guess what Kings Island's WinterFest is missing compared to Zoological Parks, etc is this. When people go to the Cincinnati Zoo's Festival of Lights, it's not just a trip to the zoo. After all of these years, it is now a tradition. We know what to expect, and that's greatness. And that's just it. We don't stop and think to ourselves, "is the zoo worth it?" because we already know. It is a high expectation that is met year after year. It's almost as though, we feel like we haven't celebrated Christmas without our trip to the zoo to see their amazing lights and shows.

Winterfest has been out of the spotlight for so long, people no longer know what to expect. And if you can only afford to do One thing, that One trip is probably going to be what you already know will not be dissappointing to you. Too many questions come up regarding WinterFest. How much does it cost? What can I do when I get in there? Are the shows any good? How is the park decorated? Is there anything to do that doesn't require spending even more money on top of admission and parking? ( And let's be honest, for those of us who went, there really isn't. ) Another question that crosses my mind is why is the park having Winterfest? I remember the Winterfest of old. I remember the smiling, and the ice skating, and the fabulous tree of lights stringing down from the tower. I remember it feeling like Christmas. Not everyone celebrates Christmas, true enough, but still. I understand in full that it is a business, and businesses make money, but is there even a spark of the old desire to make people recognize the holiday for the right reasons? Going back to what I remember about WinterFest. Sure I would take the time to go if they ever had it again, but most young couples no longer relate with it. It is a chance to them, and One that they do not know if they will enjoy or not. It shouldn't be expected to rake in the dollars in it's encore season. But in time, it can become a high expectation and a tradition.

• Like 1

Got to disagree here. My kids have both grown through the 48" requirement in recent years and never had a problem with not having rides to enjoy.

What I believe KI is missing is more rides that the family can enjoy together. There are precious few options for a parent or grandparent, who doesn't want to ride a coaster or spin, to enjoy with the younguns.

I'll go with your experience about the amount of rides, you have more hands on experience, and besides, when I was younger, There were a lot more tweeny rides.

I also agree that there's not a lot of soft rides that grandparents can enjoy with the kids.

• 1 year later...

He said he has no other wing coasters on the menu, but that some of the details will play themselves out in other parks.

He mentioned the front entrance flyover interaction as important in another question. That and the keyhole elements are possible for future?

I did take it to mean KI-14 will not be a winged coaster.

• Like 1

One thing i found interesting is he said 2 years of planning and that's it! They have a close partnership with B&M... So could the idea of SOB and Thunder Alley teardown and building of a new attraction (not saying its a B&M coaster) been tossed together last year or sometime in 2011? So Gatekeeper was a Ouiment idea and part Kinzel it sounds like. So i'm guessing that this ride(s) will be 100% Ouiment's idea... (Well under his management).

"We were going to build a coaster... We were going to put it in a different place in the park" - at the 2:45 mark.

I took this as, we were going to build a coaster (different) and put it somewhere else in the park, but we challenged Rob to open up the beach view and front gate.....meaning he was challenged to change the idea of the original coaster to change it to be what we have as Gatekeeper today. In my opinion I don't think that Gatekeeper was the original idea for somewhere else in the park.

• Like 1