Bad Parenting ( Park Safety )

marlfox_21

I don't start many topics on here anymore, but I really thought that this was something that was worth mentioning. I had the opportunity to go to Kings Island a couple of weeks ago and I witnessed something that honestly caught me offguard. Not many things surprise me anymore in the world of public parks, but this was certainly an eye opener.

While me and my group were boarding the train to leave Soak City, a man dropped his hat over the side of the train. He stared at it for a moment and started laughing. My immediate reaction is that he realized that nothing could be done about it, and that he would move on. Then he stared down at a little girl, then his eyes met whom I assume was his son. He picked this young boy up, and held him over the side of the train and then dropped him beside the train. Oh, if only I still worked at the park at this moment in time. The boy picked up the hat which had literally landed on the track and held up his hands to be picked back up by the man. The man asked for the hat first, then picked the boy up and back into the train. The young boy then took his seat, and the man then kissed the little girl on top of the head. ( Put One in danger, and love the other. ) This was the most bizarre example of being a parent or guardian that I have witnessed in quite a while.

To be clear, the boy was not injured and the train was not moving, and I understand that KI associates cannot see everything that goes on involving a ride so long and massive. But the issue was very real. The boy was bent down under the train to pick up a hat which was lying on the track, and did so at his parent or guardians request. My only regret is that there wasn't anything that I could do about it. I would have went to an associate, because technically it was child endangerment, but I had no way to prove what I saw, and I didn't figure that a lot could be done. That's why I am bringing this issue up here. I trust this site, and I know that KI pays attention to it.

My summary is that this was an outrageous action taken by a parent, it has really been bothering me to have witnessed it and no material item is more important than anyone's safety.

Drop a kid from a train to get your hat...I see what the "Indiana Jones" franchise has done to the American psyche. But seriously, folks, day-yam! That has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard! I mean, how is that guy even smart enough to have a job that allows him to afford admission to the park?!? Oy! Glad the kid's ok, but, again: Oy!

:wacko:

I would of asked him what would he of done if his son got hurt? Cause the park won't be at fault.

no the park wouldn't have been at fault, but I'd bet a dollar to a donut that they would be the ones to get sued... and in 2013 new seat belts and lap restraints would be installed on the train with air bags and side impact protection.

I agree with you guys, poor parenting. Glad the child was ok.

What is up with the "groups" of young kids running thru the park, with no parents in sight.

I went a few weeks ago, and noticed young groups of 10 and 11 year old kids running around KI without ant parents.

My son is 11, and no way would I let him run around the park with a few other boys his age.

• Like 1

On Friday i was at K.I. with a friend and these parents had a little girl who was two or three, the parents were letting her run ahead like 15 feet ahead of them. I was sitting in front of the Oktoberfest pond at the time when suddenly the little girl just ran under the fence and almost fell in the pond by the time the mom got there. Then after they got her out they continued to let her out of their sight.

Interesting stories all. The Dad on the train would have become defensive and attacked (at least verbally) for calling him out on utter stupidity. After all, why not just say something to the ride ops, who could have retrieved it for your return 2 trains later. On the DB story, not to defend what the parents did, but it's the only coaster I've been on at KI that doesn't have a 'kid corral' at the station. They used to allow parents to wait at the exit and 'swap' so parents can ride big-people rides too, but I haven't seen that advertised. Me, I just enjoy the park and people-watch - call it the price of being a parent for a few years.

On the DB story, not to defend what the parents did, but it's the only coaster I've been on at KI that doesn't have a 'kid corral' at the station. They used to allow parents to wait at the exit and 'swap' so parents can ride big-people rides too, but I haven't seen that advertised. Me, I just enjoy the park and people-watch - call it the price of being a parent for a few years.

Yes, Parent Swap is still out there. I haven't witnessed its use, but have seen it in the park info for this year.

I agree with you guys, poor parenting. Glad the child was ok.

What is up with the "groups" of young kids running thru the park, with no parents in sight.

I went a few weeks ago, and noticed young groups of 10 and 11 year old kids running around KI without ant parents.

My son is 11, and no way would I let him run around the park with a few other boys his age.

I would say it depends on the kid, and how many of them there are. The larger the group, the bolder they get. My son is 10 and I would not let him go off on his own even if he wanted to. His best friend is 11 and much more dependable, and I would let the two of them go off for one or two rides at a time except that the friend's mother is not likely to approve - her kid, her rule. And in Soak City I grab a chair and let them run. It's just too tough to keep up with them there. Not sure why it seems different there than in the rest of the park, but there you go.

On Friday i was at K.I. with a friend and these parents had a little girl who was two or three, the parents were letting her run ahead like 15 feet ahead of them. I was sitting in front of the Oktoberfest pond at the time when suddenly the little girl just ran under the fence and almost fell in the pond by the time the mom got there. Then after they got her out they continued to let her out of their sight.

Having had toddlers, you have to let them run off on their own a little. We would let them get some distance at a mall or someplace with fewer inherent dangers than KI, but you have to - again - know the kid. My son respected barriers at that age so I would not have had a problem with him in this situation. My daughter would not have willingly left my side at that age, so it never came up with her.

As to the OP, if it had been me I MIGHT have checked the potential to get it myself, but no f'ing way would I ask my kid to get off the ride without me, much less make them reach under the wheels. We live near an active railroad and in 16 years there have been at least 3 pedestrian accidents at the two closest crossings, 2 of them fatal. I don't care if it's an amusement park ride or a full size freight train, you don't screw with trains.

The associates at DB must not have been watching because, as far as I know, it is still against the rules for parents to leave children unattended at the DB exit. ( I believe that is the rule on all KI rides now.) CP always had parent swap which KI adopted after Cedar Fair took over.

The associates at DB must not have been watching because, as far as I know, it is still against the rules for parents to leave children unattended at the DB exit. ( I believe that is the rule on all KI rides now.) CP always had parent swap which KI adopted after Cedar Fair took over.

I worked for PKI from 2001 to 2004 and the park had a Parent Swap program then. It has been around well before CF.

I worked for PKI from 2001 to 2004 and the park had a Parent Swap program then. It has been around well before CF.

Don't recall KI having parent/swap pre-Cedarfair. Of course, I don't have kids ( lol.) so I guess I was wrong.

They were not only watching--they asked what the plan was and were told that the youngest was staying there (since she was obviously not tall enough to ride).

If this is the same as Congo Falls, I believe that the boat sits on the bottom of the trough (think the turn from the top of the lift-- do you float???). And if the boat has wheels that sit it above the trough just a tad, do you think it'll be enough room?

The boat sometimes stops in the splash down area, it's used as a block. So, what if the boat is stuck there for a few minutes?

Oh, Cobra, to accurately answer your question, I think the guide rails (the rails the kid hopped over in the embedded video) go all the way to the bottom of the pool, making it impossible to swim under.

No I don't think you understood my question. I mean as if he was in the middle of the rails, and went to the bottom of the pool and the boat came down, would their be clearance, or does the boat sit further down in the water than I think it does. Further, the boat can't stop in the splashdown area, it has too much momentum to stop from the drop it just went down...