Canada's Wonderland 2014

Canada's Wonderland will be announcing their 2014 attraction on August 30, 2013.

Their are big holes in Wonder Mountain near one of the old waterfalls so could a dark ride be going here before Cedar Point?

For some reason, the forum won't let me upload the pictures but they are linked below.

http://www.cwmania.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=57086#p57086

http://www.cwmania.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=57114#p57114

• Like 2

Look what I found (I used the same method another user did when they found the image saying Banshee would be the worlds longest invet)

UPDATE: The park has removed the photo. I archived it last night though! This pretty much confirms that the new ride will be a dark ride!

http://www.webcitation.org/6J4sh4eQ3

• Like 2

Look what I found (I used the same method another user did when they found the image saying Banshee would be the worlds longest invet)

UPDATE: The park has removed the photo. I archived it last night though! This pretty much confirms that the new ride will be a dark ride!

http://www.webcitation.org/6J4sh4eQ3

It won't load what is it?

The servers sometimes go down. Check a little later, it should work.

It's a picture inside a mountain with two tracks that mirror each other.

Going to Triotech's website makes this thing seem strange. The press release mentions track, but the videos of their dark ride systems tend to look like a 'big box' contained mechanism that simulates track movement. It looks as though there are 5 or 6 cars going through the cycle at one time.

This is the first announcement that's ever made me want to immediately start making plans to visit the park. That sounds fantastic, and I'm sure it will be very unique. Is this the new dark ride design Ouimet keeps mentioning?

Also, MAJOR kudos to Cedar Fair for acknowledging the existence of the rest of the park when making an addition. Such a nice change from the "slap a coaster wherever the heck you want without any concern for the theme" days of Kinzel.

• Like 1

What a great addition for Canadas park, Cedar Fair take note Kings Island needs one like this keep boo blasters but build a ride like this at your flagship parks. Kudos:

Well, the fact that this company can upgrade existing technology to this new iDR system (and at a fraction of the cost, apparently) means that we might see the former Boo Blastin' chain of dark rides upgraded over the next several years should Guardian next year go off without a hitch.

Interesting to see it's roughly the same tech in the ride vehicles as seen in the infamous Spiderman/Transformers attractions at Universal and DarKastle at Busch Gardens. Hopefully they use the seamless integration of real scenic backdrops to video screens seen in those prior examples.

• Like 2

I haven't posted to the forums in a while, but I am just absolutely thrilled with the direction that Cedar Fair has started taking. Lately, it's been as if all of the parks have been taken over by an entirely different company, and in my opinion, that's a really good thing!

- Ride additions that make sense for the special and unique atmospheres of each park.

- Additions that take note of their placement within the park.

- Meticulous attention to detail.

- Each new major attraction now has a theme, some even have story lines. I was thrilled to see that Banshee had a theme and story, but this new addition at CW makes me absolutely ecstatic.

- Apparently, as well as having a new name, the WindSeeker to be installed at Worlds of Fun will also have a theme that makes sense.

- Each new addition focuses on the big picture of the typical fun seeking family, not the average rowdy teenager.

Matt Ouimet is doing an absolutely outstanding job running the company. Gone are the days of fine details being considered "lipstick". The parks are in good hands. The parks will become more epic and unique, and Cedar Fair will surely create the sensation of the best day possible.

• Like 4

Another home run of a name choice. That aside, it'll be very, very interesting to see how this works out!

The description is incredibly vague. It mentions roller coaster track, but it would seem more likely that the dark ride vehicle will pull up to projected scenes that will feature a sort of "mine train" motion simulating scene rather than actual roller coaster elements. Something also about "five layers" of the mountain, which is odd, but may relate to the storytelling element they mentioned of visiting a cave, a forest, etc. I wonder, too, how long this will end up being. Wonder Mountain is big, but not huge. The rumors of it using roving motion-base technology like Spider-Man or DarKastle are compelling, but how would that work with laser guns and targets if you're spinning from one screen to the next?

Either way, I imagine I'll make it back up to Canada next summer to see this. At the very least, it sounds like Ouimet & Co. imagine this as a technology that can be franchised and extended to all the parks, so we'll see how a regional park handles "groundbreaking" dark ride technology.

EDIT: I should also mention, there's rumors swirling that the Guardian is somehow related to the Gatekeeper, maybe in the same way that Leviathan and Behemoth are. That would be a cool little nod to us fans, to build a whole collection of dragon-esque species, each represented in different parks. A little interpark mythology never hurt anybody - as Tokyo Disney and Hong Kong Disneyland!

• Like 4

Sounds a million times better than Boo Blasters. Why do we have to shoot things going through a dark ride? I sure as hell wasn't thinking to shoot anything in Enchanted Voyage as a child. I would rather ride the dark rides at the fair then sit through that abortion of colors at KI.

This will still have guns, or at least one of the header animations showed them.

All we know is the following:

- 4D interactive dark ride with the core thrill being heavily based on graphics
- uses 3D projection (riders will wear 3D glasses)
- uses wind, movement and other special effects to add the 4th dimension
- riders will board inside of the mountain near ground level
- the ride will exit the mountain and climb the lift on the mountain exterior
- at the 60' level the ride will plunge back into the mountain
- there will be multiple drops throughout the ride
- 1000 feet of coaster track
- the ride is gravity-driven
- longest interactive wall in the world
- highly sensitive targeting guns that will "interact" with the environment
- content of the ride can be easily changed to vary the experience
- there will be 5 trains, each with 8 riders
- approximately 640 pph
- the engineering department at Wonderland is currently working on designing the track
(Credit goes to DantheMan from CW Mania for getting this info from the park)
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

I'm still confused as to what this exactly is. The IAAPA video of the ride vehicle made it seem like a cheaper version of Spiderman or Transformers, but the track and weird marketing descriptions tells me differently. Now on Facebook, I see that there are ride supports outside of the mountain. Here are some examples:

1908252_10152044486663924_1757844102_n.j

75981_10152044486393924_940141780_n.jpg

These images are on Canada's Wonderland Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/CanadasWonderland

So we know the scenes will change with the seasons and we know it will be a "shooter," but I'm confused about the rest.

• Like 4

From what I understand, it'll have roller coaster elements, probably to what we're seeing as these supports in the pictures you've posted. I imagine, the traveling from different "levels" of the attraction (around the mountain) will be mostly outside with the roller coaster elements.

Just my thought though.

• 4 weeks later...