SteelHawk (WindSeeker) new for 2014 at Worlds of Fun

I posted these comments on Theme Park Review, and I figure I'd just repost my words instead of retyping them all...

Here is what I'm really responding to... http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_news/planned-worlds-of-fun-attraction-has-checkered-past

First I feel that Worlds of Fun could have been much, much more effective when talking about the rides relocation, and the reasoning for the ride's troubled past. Would I have mentioned that CalOSHA wouldn't approve the ride? No. Would I have highlighted the extensive effort behind Cedar Fair's work to make sure they're safe? Absolutely.

I feel that even if the park would have been given 30 seconds to speak of how the evacuation procedures were reviewed and changed it would have made them look 4000% better. They could have highlighted how new platforms were designed, and how the "bug" in the computers (at least appears) to have been fixed. I would have highlighted that no park this season has had issues with the ride stalling out.

I feel that the name change is a great idea, as it one day will get that one ride away from any judgement based solely on the ride's named. In my opinion, I don't think sharing similar names on any ride is an effective plan anywhere. If each park had a different, unique name for the ride then the name with the troubled ride wouldn't get around too easy. Take that statement for what it's worth, if it even made sense.

A part of me honestly wonders what is wrong with CalOSHA. (Please don't let that be taken the wrong way- I fully understand the importance of keeping us, the riders, safe.) If no other state-led organization has kept the ride shuttered, then why is Knott's ride still being kept closed? Did the park not thoroughly prove that they handled this to the best of their abilities? If the new evac platforms aren't safe and effective, why hasn't Ohio (who has two WindSeekers) or any other state stepped in to close the rides? In my opinion, the rides are safe and CalOSHA needs to reevaluate what they think defines a safe ride.

I think that moving the ride was the only option left for Knott's and Cedar Fair. As long as the park doesn't have any problems with the ride, then I feel that it will be well-received by the patrons of Worlds of Fun.

One lots of negative publicity for the knotts one...cp WindSeeker did the same thing a lot more even on it's commercial shoot, and no-one really batted an eye. It happened at knotts for a few hours and news crews blew it out of the water. Strike one right there. Strike two it happened again. Strike three the evac platform is poorly devised and isn't really that great but this ride wasn't designed with evac in mind, it was a rushed prototype from the start from a company that up to that point has never created something of this stature. Strike four, the park tried to operate this ride in Cali's OSHA which triggered them to not let the ride operate

Enough problems there, and enough was enough, it's time to cut losses

• Like 3

Who knows...the rides were just problematic from the start. When I started inprocessing the park didn't even know the rider safety guidelines for the ride yet even after the tower was constructed and the gondola was being erected. It also didn't help that there was a language barrier there as well between park operations and Mondial.

All I know is there was something drawn up between the two companies that gave birth to this bulk purchase but who did this I don't know

Perhaps Cedar Fair was already in contract to build more than two. I don't know about in the amusement park industry, but in my line of work if the buyer cancels a contract in the middle of manufacturing they have to pay for all work and engineering done up to a certain date. This would be very uneconomical for Cedar Fair if this were the case.

Lol cause yours was the first built and had to learn as they went...that's why cp had theirs up first cause they learned from Kings Islands mistakes haha

But no it still has some problems they all have. I will say it doesn't go down high loaded as often though

Actually Canada's Wonderland was the first WindSeeker to open!

• Like 1

I now wonder if all those times I saw the gondola on CW's model stuck half way or the at the top of the tower (during the testing phase) was really tests, or malfunctions.....

Could CF have known that there were problems even before the first WS opened to the public...after all, they were all delayed....

• Like 1

It could be testing phase or it could be malfunction, without a visual of the whole phase I couldn't tell you

The problem initially opening was 1. The build, as I said, it was a trial and error build. 2. The dampeners did not truly prevent the arms from getting extremely close (see how many times those have been edited on this ride alone)

Sorry quick edit...Testing phase as in pre opening daily, or testing before general public opening

If my correction stands before general public opening for first time yes the stops were done by them, as our WindSeeker did that quite frequently to test e-stops, ect. to get certified...Now were some of those malfunctions...eh I doubt, but it is completely possible, but I know they did e-stop drills with it, because at one point of of my maint. guys told me they had to sand down where the brakes engaged because it practically got fused to that spot.

Got to thinking today while at the park...how do they get the evac system onto the ride platform? It's on wheels but I can't see any section of fencing that can be moved/opened to allow it in. Did they forget that minor detail or is there actually a decently easy way to get it in there? Anything I can think of seems like it would take too long...

• 8 months later...