SeaWorld San Diego: Riders Trapped 4 Hours

Don`t most of these rides have some sort of emergency generator to at least allow the ride to move to a place where guests can be evacuated? At least for power failures. I understand that is not possible if there is a mechanical issue, preventing such thing.

The stories of "rides of horrors" continues. But I guess nearly 50 people stuck for 4 hours is actual news.

I am glad nobody was hurt or ever seriously in danger.

If an elevator got stuck in a building for 4 hours, would it be news? Hardly; at least these people got water/snacks while they had to wait around though I'm guessing bathrooms are not an option. Inconvenience for sure, but nothing close to being stuck on WindSeeker for multiple hours.

• Like 2

The stories of "rides of horrors" continues. But I guess nearly 50 people stuck for 4 hours is actual news.

If an elevator got stuck in a building for 4 hours, would it be news? Hardly; at least these people got water/snacks while they had to wait around though I'm guessing bathrooms are not an option. Inconvenience for sure, but nothing close to being stuck on WindSeeker for multiple hours.

And then there's the issue who brings up the conversation to establish a "pee corner."

• Like 8

I do agree with you. I should have said more news worthy than the Banshee stopping on the lift hill waiting for another train to pass a block or protein spillage cleanup.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/29/us/san-diego-seaworld-ride/index.html?sr=fb062914seaworld1130avodtoplink

A lady interviewed said if her child was up there, they better find a way to get my child down or I'm climbing up there to get him/her. Seriously? I get the whole you want to protect your child, but putting yourself in even more danger is insane.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just another reason why I will never visit SeaWorld.

Folks being trapped in a Sky Tower for four hours is "just another reason" to never visit SeaWorld Parks? If you say so.

But if you're in a boycotting mood, I know a parks chain that's logged probably a dozen stranded hours altogether on a series of Mondial flat rides that they purchased in bulk... then doubled their investment in the very next season!

• Like 6

Just another reason why I will never visit SeaWorld.

Folks being trapped in a Sky Tower for four hours is "just another reason" to never visit SeaWorld Parks? If you say so.

But if you're in a boycotting mood, I know a parks chain that's logged probably a dozen stranded hours altogether on a series of Mondial flat rides that they purchased in bulk... then doubled their investment in the very next season!

Which is why I will never go to Knott's Berry Farm for having those people stranded up so high for so long.

I'm saving to go to Seaworld, not boycott it---

Which one if you don't mind me asking? :)

I'm thinking of Florida, it's not because Tilli is so notorious, but it's because he's Large! I might as well face a fear head on.

I want to see the whales between shows, as they play. I also want to see the rescue area. Seaworld is celebrating it's 50th year of rehabilitation and rescue this year. I'd love to be close enough to the tank during a show to see the whales under the water, but then, I'd be splashed, so that's a quandary.

Also, there's a wish on my part that my niece can see Diagon Alley.

• Like 1

I'm saving to go to Seaworld, not boycott it---

Which one if you don't mind me asking? :)

I'm thinking of Florida, it's not because Tilli is so notorious, but it's because he's Large! I might as well face a fear head on.

I want to see the whales between shows, as they play. I also want to see the rescue area. Seaworld is celebrating it's 50th year of rehabilitation and rescue this year. I'd love to be close enough to the tank during a show to see the whales under the water, but then, I'd be splashed, so that's a quandary.

Also, there's a wish on my part that my niece can see Diagon Alley.

I recommend you also consider doing DWS (Dine with Shamu) ever since Tillikum has become quite the diva after his break from shows, he's mostly found in SCU/DWS these days with Trua. DWS tends to be pretty educational so it's worth checking out.

As far as sitting close to the show tank, the first 15 rows are considered the splash zone....but if you get a show where its mostly the girls, its not too bad. The boys however...if Tillikum decides to partake in a show and has Trua with him then you probably are in trouble if you're in the first 15 rows.

• Like 3

The "Dine with Shamu" is more up my alley. I would have loved to have seen the "Shamu Up Close" where you watched them from behind a fence.

Of course I want to see the underwater viewing area. I love the videos online of that.

I wouldn't expect to see actual animals on the rescue tour, but it would be cool to see all what they do, and the facilities.

• Like 1

As far as sitting close to the show tank, the first 15 rows are considered the splash zone....but if you get a show where its mostly the girls, its not too bad. The boys however...if Tillikum decides to partake in a show and has Trua with him then you probably are in trouble if you're in the first 15 rows.

Then I must have gotten a show with the girls in 2012 (I've only been there once so can't tell them apart). There was virtually no splashing, and what splashes there were only sent a few drops a few rows out for the most part. I sat in the fourth row near the trainers' platform in the center and did not get wet at all. I made up for it with a rather large splash at the dolphin show later in the day.

• Like 2

^Sounds like the girls, and if I were to guess as to who possibly Kayla and the kiddos (primarily Malia).

Tillikum for a long time (during the Shamu Adventure and Believe days) was primarily used for "splash" segments with some interactions here and there at the glass. Following the February 2010 incident when he went on that break they relied heavily on Katina, Kayla and Kalina along with the kiddos Malia and Trua (I'd say Nalani but she is bit special...almost an orca's equivalent to ADHD) through the fall of that year. Girls doing the show together and doing their behaviors in unison have an almost Tillikum effect to them but not quite. I can just imagine Tilly and Trua, and with Trua still growing, his "kickers" probably get several rows now..

• Like 3