Eiffel Tower Construction

Everyone knows that Kings Dominion has an Intamin Lattice Tower that is essentially the same design as our Eiffel Tower at Kings Island. The design that each park got is actually called the Paris Tower according to the manufacturer's web site.

Although only a handful of photos have surfaced of Kings Island's Eiffel Tower being constructed, Kings Dominion has uploaded a video as part of their 40th Anniversary Celebration that includes dozens of photos of the construction of their Eiffel Tower as well as International Street, which at the time had extreme similarities to Kings Island's.

Enjoy!

• Like 12

here's an interesting "Paris Tower" question: has anyone ever been stranded at the top and forced to descend the stairs to the bottom?

I've never heard of that happening. I do know people who were on a level when one elevator went down and had to descend a staircase to the lower level in order to take the other elevator down.

I also know that the employees are trained on "vator to vator" evacs, in which an elevator stops half way up and they have to send the other one up to transfer people over to get them down, although I don't personally know of a time when that's been used.

• Like 1

here's an interesting "Paris Tower" question: has anyone ever been stranded at the top and forced to descend the stairs to the bottom?

I've never heard of that happening. I do know people who were on a level when one elevator went down and had to descend a staircase to the lower level in order to take the other elevator down.

I also know that the employees are trained on "vator to vator" evacs, in which an elevator stops half way up and they have to send the other one up to transfer people over to get them down, although I don't personally know of a time when that's been used.

OK, let's be honest here: a "vator-to-vator" evac would SUCK.

I'm not one to descend into panic attacks, but that could do it.

• Like 1

Great video, Ryan. When I was a kid, the route that we took to get to KI, the tower was the first thing that we would see. And after a 3 hour trip to get there, it was the first thing I saw that made it official in my mind that we had arrived at KI.

Don't know if this is true or not, but I have heard that the Eiffel Tower in Paris is so large that the one at KI could fit underneath of it.

• Like 6

Great video, Ryan. When I was a kid, the route that we took to get to KI, the tower was the first thing that we would see. And after a 3 hour trip to get there, it was the first thing I saw that made it official in my mind that we had arrived at KI.

Don't know if this is true or not, but I have heard that the Eiffel Tower in Paris is so large that the one at KI could fit underneath of it.

That is precisely true. There is an opening through to the second tier, which is already 377 feet from the base of the Paris Eiffel Tower, that would accomodate the Kings Island tower head with room to spare. EDIT - 63 feet of room!

http://french.lovetoknow.com/How_Tall_Is_the_Eiffel_Tower

• Like 3

OK, let's be honest here: a "vator-to-vator" evac would SUCK.

I'm not one to descend into panic attacks, but that could do it.

The thought is more terrifying than the actual danger. They park them parallel and have something between them for people to walk on.
  • Like 3

I've always wondered how they evacuate a stuck elevator. Now I know.

That raises the question, though: what happens if, heaven forbid, both elevators are stuck at once?

Transmitted from Wild Space via my datapad's DROID brain

"Welcome to the Tower of Terror!"

Suddenly, the Eiffel Tower rockets up my mom's favorite ride list.

• Like 4

I've always wondered how they evacuate a stuck elevator. Now I know.

That raises the question, though: what happens if, heaven forbid, both elevators are stuck at once?

Each car also has an escape hatch at the top, through which the passengers can be evacuated...

Exactly. Mason FD would be involved. It would be terrifying for the people to say the least, but they'd be removed one by one in a very safe fashion.

• Like 3