Thoughts on Geauga Lake's Big Dipper

somebody start a kickstarter and let's get this thing! ha

Because that worked out so well for Kat Shank...

Not sure what that is? But I was (mostly) kidding anyways. I feel like moving a big woodie (giggity) would be more of a hassle than it's worth.

I've always been the kind of person that believes in restoring and refurbishing standing-but-not-operating wooden coasters.

To this day, I still respect Knoebels and their decision to bring Phoenix to the park.

I'm not sure what kind of condition the Big Dipper is in, but last I heard, a whole section of track was missing.

...I can say one thing though.....and that is that If any of the 3 parks that you mentioned got Big Dipper, I would recommend that the park be Kings Island, for multiple reasons.

Overall it would be GREAT to have to the Big Dipper at Kings Island, but quite frankly, I just don't see it happening, especially with the shape that the ride is in.

RMC treatment?

• 1 month later...

A very interesting take on the over expansion, the downsizing, the renaming, of a Park, that has lots of history, will Cleveland ever have another Park, that was bigger than Disny?

http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20140824/28153/lost-geauga-lake-how-worlds-largest-six-flags-disappeared?page=4

http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20140824/28153/lost-geauga-lake-how-worlds-largest-six-flags-disappeared?page=4

• Like 4

^ Your URL links to the final page of the article. But yeah, that feature is getting a lot of folks nostalgic on Facebook and Twitter where it was recently posted. Geauga Lake is one of those things that locals will never forget. It may go from generation to generation and earn some legendary-type status at this rate.

I loved Geuaga Lake and even enjoyed it under the initial SFWoA treatment, but there is one key takeaway as to why Geuaga and Sea World were doomed for failure. They never had the local infrastructure to support their operations. Aurora did not have the hotel rooms or road network to handle the influx of guests as GL grew in popularity. During peak season it was very common to wait in traffic for hours just to get in to the parking lot.

The park would have been much better suited staying as it was prior to the SFWoA treatment, something along the lines of Michigan's Adventure, but that was the genius of Six at work.

The Dipper while a great ride has been SBNO for too long without any maintenance. I would imagine the ride is beyond repair or fairly close at this point and the nickels don't add up

• Like 3

A very interesting take on the over expansion, the downsizing, the renaming, of a Park, that has lots of history, will Cleveland ever have another Park, that was bigger than Disny?

I read that this morning and found it very interesting. I was going to share it myself but it seems I have been beaten to the punch.

• Like 1

Great article/time line......

I can still see why (more so now than before) people believe CF closed GL on purpose. I guess my ultimate question is if they wanted to pair down the park to a more manageable size, why didnt they go to the original side and bring that side of the park back. It has a more impressive "front gate" and more area for things such as parking, road access, flats, and at the time a few great rides.

Its also very hard to comprehend how much the park grew in such a short period of time. Having never been to the original GL (I did go to Sea World Ohio, and I found out my wife did as well- shes from PA), it almost appears to be a bigger version of Americana (again, I have never been to Kennywood, or Holiday World, etc). If in a matter of 10 years Americana went from a family picnic area to a world class operation, there would be some major major problems.

Sadly, I dont see a re-expansion of GL in the future. The park has too many downsides now to it. There exists nothing from its past (other than Dipper) that can link older guests to their child-hood. There exists nothing in terms of infrastructure on any other part of the land. Which makes it expensive to rebuild.

Just plain sad.

But on the bright side, Coney Island did re-open after being gutted to be moved to another spot.

• Like 3

Works well with the idea I had of making The Grove into a real area of the park with a Ferris wheel, a couple classic flats, popcorn lighting, etc. Would be great to have Big Dipper there as an anchor for the land. How did I not think of that?! Brilliant.

• Like 2

I was fortunate enough to ride the Big Dipper at Geauga. It was a great coaster with some good airtime. I also enjoyed the Raging Wolf Bobs. I also liked X Flight, Dominator, Thunderhawk, Headspin, Steel Venom, and the Villain. Pretty decent lineup and short lines were what I experienced and that was after CF had purchased GL.

I know some of these were re-located like X Flight is now Firehawk at KI, Thunderhawk relocated to Michigan's Adventure, Dominator went to KD. Not sure about the others.

I was fortunate enough to ride the Big Dipper at Geauga. It was a great coaster with some good airtime. I also enjoyed the Raging Wolf Bobs. I also liked X Flight, Dominator, Thunderhawk, Headspin, Steel Venom, and the Villain. Pretty decent lineup and short lines were what I experienced and that was after CF had purchased GL.

I know some of these were re-located like X Flight is now Firehawk at KI, Thunderhawk relocated to Michigan's Adventure, Dominator went to KD. Not sure about the others.

Headspin was relocated to Carowinds and named Carolina Cobra. Steel Venom went to Dorney Park and was renamed Voodoo then Possessed. I believe Villain was scrapped.

• Like 1

Road Runner/Beaver Land Mine Ride went to France.

Double Loop and Villan got Scrapped.

Raging Wolf Bobs was sold for parts and dismantled.

Corkscrew which was removed in 1995 operates in India.

The Giant Wheel went to Kings Dominion along with El Dorado. The Carousel is now at Worlds of Fun and Texas Twister made it's way to California's Great America. Finally, the kids rides now make up a Planet in Maple Grove.

• Like 1