Walt Disney World's Middle Class Problem

It's easier if you know people who work there. :)

Just bought an $88 plane ticket from Cleveland to Orlando for the first weekend of February. My girlfriend is flying in from Dallas and we rented a vacation home for the weekend. It came out to be about $40 per person for 3 nigjts. We're getting free tickets from our friends who still work at the parks. So for Friday through Monday I'm spending about $200.

• Like 12

It's easier if you know people who work there. :)

Just bought an $88 plane ticket from Cleveland to Orlando for the first weekend of February. My girlfriend is flying in from Dallas and we rented a vacation home for the weekend. It came out to be about $40 per person for 3 nigjts. We're getting free tickets from our friends who still work at the parks. So for Friday through Monday I'm spending about $200.

That is boss!

• Like 2

One doesn't have to spend two months' salary on an engagement ring (or give/expect one at all as part of getting married). Families don't have to go to Disney, or go broke trying to create the Dream Vacation they've been sold.

This. Thank you for saying this wonderful statement about not following cultural expectations as they can leave you broke and unsatisfied. More on topic, though I've never been to Disney (when given the chance, I chose to go an Island of Adventure) but I'd love to go to Animal Kingdom/Magic Kingdom someday.

• Like 9

I grew up in a single parent home.  My mom babysat and taught preschool so that she could be home with us after school and not have to send us to daycare.  We never had much money to do anything, but other things were more important to us.  I knew that my mom would never have enough money to take my sister and me to Disney World and I just kind of accepted that.  My dad, on the other hand, could afford to take us and he promised he would when we got old enough to appreciate it.  I'm actually still waiting for that trip to happen lol.

I was 17 before I ever made it to a Disney Park and I paid for it myself.  It was the fall after I graduated and me and two friends from church decided to fly down there for a week.  My one friend had grandparents who lived about 45 minutes from Orlando, so we stayed with them and drove into the parks everyday.  We packed our lunches and spent money only on what was needed.

It would be another 3 years before I'd actually visit Disney World again and visit it for the first time with my mom.  I was 20 years old the first time we had a Disney vacation as a family.  However, you're never too old to visit Disney, so we highly enjoyed ourselves!

People need to stop buying into the myths our society feeds us.  No one is entitled to anything.  You do what you can, and sometimes you just have to do without.  I knew my mom couldn't afford to take us to Disney when we were younger, so when I was old enough and was working for my own money, I took myself.  I never had any bad feelings towards anyone or anything.  I just accepted how things were when I was growing up. 

If more people got out of the "I'm entitled to what everyone else has" mindset, there would be a lot less complaining and a lot less issues.

• Like 10

If more people got out of the "I'm entitled to what everyone else has" mindset, there would be a lot less complaining and a lot less issues.

But think of all the politicians that wouldn't be able to afford Disney vacations if that happened! 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Walt Disney World several times.

First visit was in 1998, where we visited Magic Kingdom and Disney's MGM Studios. We also visited Universal Studios, and keep in mind Islands of Adventure was still under construction- it would open the following year, but Animal Kingdom opened just days before we arrived. Second visit was 2001, this time around we visited just Magic Kingdom and also visited Universal Studios. These two visits we stayed offsite at a Days Inn or a Howard Johnson on U.S. 192, the main drag heading east toward Kissimmee.

Third visit was in 2007, and this time we did stay on property at the All-Star Music Resort. We took my car down as it was fairly new and had a decent amount of room for a family of four and their luggage for the week. With the transportation onsite (buses, monorails, ferryboats, etc) I maybe drove 100 miles the entire week if we went to the beach, had to go to the store, left property to eat, etc. We visited all four Disney parks that year...Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Disney's MGM Studios. I have not been back to Walt Disney World since.

Last visit to Central Florida was in 2009. That year, I visited both Universal Parks and got to experience a B&M for the first time. We stayed offsite then as well.

A trip to Florida is long overdue. Eventually, I would LOVE to stay at the Contemporary Resort. The way it was constructed fascinates me and the monorail system is fascinating to me as well.

• Like 5

I've been to Walt Disney World several times.

First visit was in 1998, where we visited Magic Kingdom and Disney's MGM Studios. We also visited Universal Studios, and keep in mind Islands of Adventure was still under construction- it would open the following year, but Animal Kingdom opened just days before we arrived. Second visit was 2001, this time around we visited just Magic Kingdom and also visited Universal Studios. These two visits we stayed offsite at a Days Inn or a Howard Johnson on U.S. 192, the main drag heading east toward Kissimmee.

Third visit was in 2007, and this time we did stay on property at the All-Star Music Resort. We took my car down as it was fairly new and had a decent amount of room for a family of four and their luggage for the week. With the transportation onsite (buses, monorails, ferryboats, etc) I maybe drove 100 miles the entire week if we went to the beach, had to go to the store, left property to eat, etc. We visited all four Disney parks that year...Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Disney's MGM Studios. I have not been back to Walt Disney World since.

Last visit to Central Florida was in 2009. That year, I visited both Universal Parks and got to experience a B&M for the first time. We stayed offsite then as well.

A trip to Florida is long overdue. Eventually, I would LOVE to stay at the Contemporary Resort. The way it was constructed fascinates me and the monorail system is fascinating to me as well.

Its original construction (as well as the Poly's) caused major major headaches soon after they both opened.  For those wondering, the shell of the building was finished, after which each room was slid into place with a crane, modular style.  Of course, with Florida's high humidity, problems soon arose with mold, which, upon investigation, was caused by improper sealing of the rooms once they were in place.  Needless to say Disney has spent a lot of money over the years to remediate and eventually solve this problem. For the same price as what the big toaster charges, you can stay next door at the much nicer (IMO) and quieter Grand Floridian.

• Like 3

SoG also has some of the biggest rooms on property, but as Terpy mentioned you either need to be Military or with Military to stay there.  Having stayed there once, the price is fantastic as is the location, but the rooms are more Holiday Inn.  A great benefit for our Service Members.

The great things about staying at the Contemporary or Bay Lake is you are 5 minute walk to the Front Gates of the Magic Kingdom.  

The only hotels on the monorail line are the Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian? I swore there was one more in there somewhere.

Correct.  There has been on and off chatter for years about extending the monorail, but no plans are imminent.  From the Floridian, you are also about a 5-7 walk to the MK.

• Like 1

Disney's Mediterranean Resort may just be the fourth installment of a monorail resort, since it requires little expansion of the current monorail system. That is, if it is placed in between the Transportation & Ticket Center and Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope.  That land is earmarked for an expansion of DVC-either for a new phase of the Poly or Floridian.  Given its increasing popularity, it's a no-brainer. 

• Like 2

Disney's Mediterranean Resort may just be the fourth installment of a monorail resort, since it requires little expansion of the current monorail system. That is, if it is placed in between the Transportation & Ticket Center and Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope.  That land is earmarked for an expansion of DVC-either for a new phase of the Poly or Floridian.  Given its increasing popularity, it's a no-brainer. 

So would that be another DVC only resort like Disney's Old Key West Resort?  I know when they originally wanted to develop the Mediterranean resort, they had trouble with the land.