Trip Advice

Hey everyone! I've been planning on doing a series of road trips this year and would appreciate any advice. All the trips will be during the week (generally Monday through Thursday, mainly on Tuesday and Wednesday though) since that is when my "weekends" are. I usually work a night shift (starting around 4pm) which allows me time to drive home on a work day for some of the closer parks. Only my brother will be with me on most of the trips so a single hotel room or tent camping (if there are decent savings) are fine. I'm hoping to limit the days needed off, most of these trips will need a day or two at most. We will both have Platinum Passes for Cedar Fair parks with dining and all year drink cups.

The first planned trip is to Holiday World on May 18th. I may try to do it all in one day since their hours are 10:30 till 6 and the drive is only 3 hours or stay one night the day before and drive home after they close. As one of the few parks open weekdays in May I want to try and keep it that month.

The second trip is to Six Flags Great America (Chicago) on May 24th and/or 25th. I bought a pass for here (wasn't able to get it processed last year though) although my brother won't have one. Like Holiday World I may go ahead and head home on the 25th (5 hour drive) since they are also 10:30 to 6 on these days. If that is the case I will only need a hotel one night. This is the only other park I'm planning on going to that is also open in May (save KI and CP.) If I get an early enough start I may have a partial day on top of the full one.

Trip 3 is already planned out as a mini vacation that will have my Dad and Uncle along as well. We will head up to Cedar Point on May 31st and leave on June 2nd. This will give us one and a half days at the park. My Dad has already made the reservations for the Breakers Express so this one is set in stone. We did the same thing last year (right after Memorial day weekend) and it worked out very well, longest line (without a breakdown) was about 15 min for Millennium Force. Rode just about every coaster multiple times even with the bad weather.

All the remaining trips don't have any specific dates and will be during June, July (avoiding the 4th) and the first couple weeks in August. My Dads main vacation is the 3rd week in August to Norris Lake which will include a trip to Gatlinburg and a stop at Dollywood. I will want to try and keep the trips to every other week so I don't miss too much work in too short a time period.

Trip A - Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens Williamsburg (4 days, 2 off)

An 8 hour drive to Kings Dominion with the remaining day at the park. The next full day at Kings Dominion and then Busch Gardens the next. 4th day the drive home.

Trip B - Dorney Park and Hershey Park (3 days, 1 off)

Another 8 hour ish trip with only a half day at Dorney then a full day at Hershey Park. Would like to spend more time at Dorney Park but I need to limit my days off. Hershey's hotels and campground are rather pricey.

Trip C - Universal Studios and Busch Gardens Tampa

This is the only trip I'm planning as an actual vacation with two or three days for Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure and another for Busch Gardens. I'll fly down and depending on the times of the flight go to the park the same day. I was thinking of using public transport to go to a Best Western that is directly across the street from Universal Resorts but I will look into vacation packages as well (Costco, possibly AAA) and may stay at the resort. I'll probably rent a car for the trip to Tampa and come back to Orlando the same day.

Trip D - Carrowinds (3 Days, 1 off)

Another 8 hour ish drive for one and a half days at Carrowinds with a day off for the trip home.

If it's possible I may try to make trips out to Kennywood (4 hour drive) and Kentucky Kingdom. If time runs short I may have to cut off the trip to Carrowinds. It's the only trip with an 8+ hour drive and only one park so it would be the first to go. I've been to Universal, Kings Dominion (when they were teasing Volcano - The Blast Coaster!) and Cedar Point before but all the others are completely new to me. Any advice on dates, lodging, food etc. is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Like 2

I would kinda recommend saving Busch Gardens Tampa for a March or April visit. The weather is milder, and the park isn't super crowded. We went in March and it was one of the best park experiences I've ever had. In the dead of summer, it would be pretty hot and humid. If that doesn't bother you, great! :)

Treasure Island just got a new Residence Inn not too long ago, I've had family stay there and they said it was wonderful. It's a little far from the park (54 minutes) but it's one of the best beaches in the area. Super clean and beautiful, a must-see.

When we visited, we got a good deal on the Country Inn and Suites in East Tampa. I really liked it. The rooms were great and it wasn't super far from the park, just a nice little drive. Pretty far from the beach, but a great hotel for the price.

Hope you have some awesome trips! :)

• Like 1

When I went to Carowinds two weeks ago, the Best Western almost literally across the street from the entrance was a great hotel and was in the $70 range.  Probably more expensive in the summer though.

I'd recommend Kentucky Kingdom, too!  Storm Chaser looks like a great coaster and the other 4 are lots of fun, too.  Can't say anything about the water park, as I avoid water parks.

I've got a platinum pass, too, and I can't wait to visit so many new to me parks!

• Like 2

Ahh, camping! Now that is something I can give advice about. I actually, oddly enough, camped for four of those parks last summer. 

Kings Dominion - Kings Dominion Camp Wilderness. It was nice. Tent spaces are decently shaded and a fair amount of space. Depending on where your tent site is, you can see the park on the other side of the power lines and hear the rides. There are discounts for AAA (call them as that discount doesn't show up online). There is a free shuttle but with a Platinum pass that likely isn't a concern. Restrooms were really nice with great showers and private dressing areas outside the shower. A bit pricier for a camp site but I would do it again. 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg - KOA Williamsburg. They have 2 locations (on the same road) which can be a bit confusing. The first one has more of a group camp site feeling. There are spaces on the packed sand/dirt with a camp fire and picnic table but you have to park your car on one side and walk your stuff through the tent sites to get to yours. If I was part of a big group, that would have been fine but as a solo camper, it felt a bit awkward. The "quiet side" is farther down the road. The camp sites are on leveled areas on a grade road. Each site is large and shaded with more than enough room for your car. There is a hill on the backside of the camp sites - at the top of the hill are cabins. I loved that side and would camp at that location again. Bathrooms were nice with private dressing areas outside the shower stall. 

Another perk about the KOA is that they discounted tickets for local attractionshttp://www.williamsburgkoa.com/tickets.html - as always, some pricing may or may not be better deals. 

Dorney Park - Allentown KOA. I want to camp there again. A bit more rugged and rural area. When you arrive, they will drive a golf cart in front of you to guide you to your campsite. There is a small creek that goes through the campgrounds and it runs next to the tent/pop-up sites. It had rained quite a bit but there didn't seem to be a risk of the creek overflowing. If you like to listen to water babbling, pick site 4. If you don't call them and ask which site would be best. :) The campground is well shaded. The restroom was fine - not as nice as the two above - but absolutely fine. 

Hersheypark - Hersheypark Camping Resort. Yes...it's a bit pricey compared to the KOA BUT there are some great perks that led me to camp there. There is a free shuttle that runs to and from the park on a regular basis. This means no parking fees and with the drop off location, you have a short walking distance to enter the park. What sealed the deal for me was their Sweet Start deal. You get in an hour earlier on the day of your visit AND 3.5 hours the night before your visit. http://www.hersheyparkcampingresort.com/amenities/hershey_resorts_advantage-summer.php 

I had an issue when I stayed (no electric at the sites where I was) but I was satisfied with how they handled it when I brought it to their attention. I would absolutely stay there again. I would avoid the Pavilion spots - there is a train that runs near the train tracks which could be a bother for some people. The sites were also the smallest I've seen and very rocky for when I was putting in my stakes. 

The best ticket deals seem to found online at Hersheypark's website. There are lots of different options, including meal deals. The food at Hersheypark was far more reasonable than I expected. They have an amazing s'more funnel cake for like $5.99 or $6.99 - so good! Their shows are also top notch. Make some time to see them. I saw their dueling pianos show and was highly entertained. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions about the campgrounds! 

• Like 2

electricsun - Haven't been to a KOA in ages but I always remember most of them being very nice. Since I'm not doing the usual week long camping trip this year I may have to get it in on these trips. I always worry about the cheaper hotels too as they always have some horrible reviews. I plan on packing very light so I'll only need the tent for actual sleeping. I don't know how I missed the perks when checking out Hersheypark camping, the extra cost is probably worth it for them alone. 

jtro223 - That sounds good and around what I would expect for a Best Western. The one across from Universal was in the $80 range in the middle of summer last year so hopefully they don't go up too much. I think the day of the week had a lot of it too. And Stormchaser is the main reason I'm considering Kentucky Kingdom. I don't mind water parks but my brother doesn't like them, he'll have to suck that up for Holiday World though.

Steph88 - That's the kind of planning I like and would probably prefer those months as well but King Kong and Hulk won't be done till summer. The sun and heat never really bothered me before. My family on the other hand, well that's why they changed their minds on Florida and decided to go to Norris Lake instead.

Thanks for the info everyone.

• Like 3

I have been to the Six Flags in Chicago.  I live in Cincinnati and made the 6 hour drive to park.  Rode all the rides and drove back in the same day.  Oh, to be 21 again.  I dont think I could that now though.  I thought the park was laid out strange and the line for Superman Ultimate Flight took for ever!

• Like 2

If going to SFGA be prepared for lots of traffic in and around Chicago as you wind your way up to Gurney.  I'd avoid going through the city on 90-94, but rather, take 294.  It's a longer route, but not quite as bad traffic-wise.  Plan accordingly.  

• Like 2