Under the Stars, A KI Nighttime Spectacular webcam

jdf21972

8 hours ago, super7 said:

I agree.  They completely miss the potential of the fountain for a nighttime show.

that does require someone who knows how to program the fountain and also knows something about the counts of music. It seems like whoever is programming it doesn’t know anything about music. 

also, I have never seen every jet of the fountain working at any visits since the fountain was installed. There’s always at least one jet that’s not functioning 

It needs a complete “take 2”. What they invested in isn’t great, but it seems like it’s salvageable. Replace the finger nozzles with trumpet jets like used to be there on the first, fourth and seventh outlet. Angle the remaining finger jets to really arch to the center on 2,3,5,6 outlets. That way you could have more “pictures” you could create. The whole thing needs to be MUCH simpler outside of shows so there’s actually a bit of WOW when the well timed squiggle of jets starts. Someone needs to actually draw out the various pattern options and program to those. I just sat here and with that arrangement drew out 6 different combinations.I don’t know how to actually program the valves, but if it’s “easier said than done” as some defend, then It was a bad investment and needs to be rethought. 

• Like 1

I often imagine what they could have done with the original pedestals. They definitely could have been modified to help create a more modern effect and like mentioned on here already, add some fancy LEDs and such. But I sure do miss the actual "royal" appearance the opening entrance gave when walking up to the fountains. They could have totally taken the old and made it new again but kept that classic appeal. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

I often imagine what they could have done with the original pedestals. They definitely could have been modified to help create a more modern effect and like mentioned on here already, add some fancy LEDs and such. But I sure do miss the actual "royal" appearance the opening entrance gave when walking up to the fountains. They could have totally taken the old and made it new again but kept that classic appeal. 

And just imagine how AWESOME they would’ve looked as massive flaming cauldrons of Fire and Water at haunt. Red/orange lighting on “eruptions” of water. The bases could’ve housed the air compressors for the new launched jets that shot 30’ in the air for shows. The bowls could’ve housed the mechanics of the 4 animated jets. Point is there so much they could’ve done, but for the $2.50 that was allotted to it, they chose not to. Even if the goal was to make it easier to have the skating prep area, they could’ve permanently removed 1 pedestal on each end and not lost that feel. Point is, they ripped out the park-like charm of IStreet to give us better viewing, then gave us nothing much to look at. 

• Like 2

I wish I could like each of these comments more than once!

Having flames coming out of the pedestals would have been spectacular. As much I loved Fun, Fireworks & Fifty it felt like a missed opportunity with the flame effects to have a major "NOW YOU WILL PAY!" moment to honor Adventure Express.

There is something really special about having the familiar daytime environment totally transform during a nighttime spectacular. Fantasmic at Disneyland is especially impressive since all of the show infrastructure is essentially invisible (or at least as invisible as that much equipment can be) during the day. 

2 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Just a reminder. THIS is what was replaced by a little squiggly line of thin streams of water squirting up incessantly all day long. 

IMG_2437.jpeg

Until I see photos again like this, I always forget just how incredibly gorgeous this version of the fountain truly was. It really made that "grand entrance" feeling really something special. Plus as silly as it sounds, I just don't feel like the current set up really gives as much of a "cooling" effect on guests as they sit at the tables or walk by when the breeze happens to blow just enough to give a light splash of water on a hot day. That was always nice. And the old fountain set-up really gave the entire pool a more filled-out appearance too. Not crowded, just more use of the pool. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been able to see the show live, it was not running in May and last week, I just didn't feel like waiting for it as I had a long drive...plus the weather was iffy and I thought they may not fly the drones.  

I just watched the parks YouTube version of the video and it looks incredible. On this version, though, the drones did not appear bright and it looked like about half were missing...the graphics did not stand out well.

My question is: After Snoopy's canoe and before Diamondback, is that an Antique Car or a baby carriage?  

My observation: the theme is "Under the Stars" but when this show is on, the stars are only beginning to shine.  It focuses so much on the night time experience, but that time is very short. I'm not meaning this as a gripe for ten pm closes, but just observing a dichotomy.

3 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I haven't been able to see the show live, it was not running in May and last week, I just didn't feel like waiting for it as I had a long drive...plus the weather was iffy and I thought they may not fly the drones.  

I just watched the parks YouTube version of the video and it looks incredible. On this version, though, the drones did not appear bright and it looked like about half were missing...the graphics did not stand out well.

My question is: After Snoopy's canoe and before Diamondback, is that an Antique Car or a baby carriage?  

My observation: the theme is "Under the Stars" but when this show is on, the stars are only beginning to shine.  It focuses so much on the night time experience, but that time is very short. I'm not meaning this as a gripe for ten pm closes, but just observing a dichotomy.

It’s a play on words. The big “star” coasters are celebrating big anniversaries this year. YOU our guests are our stars. Making memories… under the stars. 

1 hour ago, brenthodge said:

It’s a play on words. The big “star” coasters are celebrating big anniversaries this year. YOU our guests are our stars. Making memories… under the stars. 

Maybe that can be caught in person. I did not hear anything that indicated that the guest was the star.  I can see a weak association to the coasters.

On 6/18/2024 at 6:08 AM, brenthodge said:

Just a reminder. THIS is what was replaced by a little squiggly line of thin streams of water squirting up incessantly all day long. 

IMG_2437.jpeg

You all are exactly right concerning the fountain. I'd love to have the old one back. It was much more majestic and the new one is honestly just boring. It's supposed to be cool the way the jets turn on and off to create patterns and with the light shows at night but the jets are just way too small. The KD fountain has huge jets in the center of the fountain that gives it a much more royal feel. It's just a better visual and makes you think, "wow that's a big fountain!" There's nothing really special or majestic about the current Kings Island fountains. You just sort of walk past them without thinking much about them. 

On topic though, I did enjoy the fireworks show this year. I thought it had more fireworks than adventure awaits and the drone displays were pretty cool too as they highlight the rides celebrating anniversaries this year. Obviously nothing compares to the 50th anniversary show but this was a pretty good one. I do agree with others that the storyline is subpar to uninteresting but the music and show quality are very solid.