Grand Carnivale 2024 Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

38 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

From an outsider’s perspective, this $10,000 could be reallocated more effectively, such as funding tasting cards, which have the potential to generate higher per caps revenue compared to individual sales. Alternatively, these funds could cover the cost of approximately 50 medium-sized box trees, assuming a unit price of $200 each, or address smaller but essential operational expenses like lids and straws for Icees, that some guests at Kings Island mourn the lack of. Such expenditures highlight a potential misalignment in cost-cutting strategies versus unnecessary spending. Corporate boggles the mind.

I agree I don't think that the majority of people remember which floats we have from year to year.  If they insisted on moving something from another park, just move Mountain Gliders back here where it belongs and then you only have to rent the trucks once.  You could still probably do that more economically than the floats.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

The logistical decisions surrounding the transfer of floats between Kings Island, Carowinds, and Kings Dominion raise several questions regarding cost-effectiveness and resource allocation. Specifically, if Kings Island received floats from Carowinds and subsequently Kings Dominion acquired floats from Kings Island, the rationale behind such asset transfers warrants scrutiny. Given the geographic proximity, a direct transfer from Carowinds to Kings Island—spanning an extra distance of approximately 140 miles—versus Carowinds to Kings Dominion, would ostensibly be more economical.

Transporting these sizable floats likely necessitates multiple trucks, each incurring significant fuel and/or subcontracting costs. Hypothetically, if five trucks are required, with an incremental cost escalation of $2,500 per truck to transport to Island vs Dominion, the total expenditure for the move would amount to $10,000. This figure excludes the additional costs associated with relocating floats to parks not hosting the event, which appears financially imprudent.

From an outsider’s perspective, this $10,000 could be reallocated more effectively, such as funding tasting cards, which have the potential to generate higher per caps revenue compared to individual sales. Alternatively, these funds could cover the cost of approximately 50 medium-sized box trees, assuming a unit price of $200 each, or address smaller but essential operational expenses like lids and straws for Icees, that some guests at Kings Island mourn the lack of. Such expenditures highlight a potential misalignment in cost-cutting strategies versus unnecessary spending. Corporate boggles the mind.

I think since Dominion started a week earlier, they couldnt have Carrowinds  as they were back to back weeks. KI’s might’ve gone to KD last year after the event, or- are they stored at Kern in NewOrleans? Not sure. They might all go back there each year for storage-refurbishing since they aren’t stored in the tents (just odd pieces and parts and still parts of the 50th, that’s hopefully headed to KD next year to recoup that investment. 

1 hour ago, brenthodge said:

I think since Dominion started a week earlier, they couldnt have Carrowinds  as they were back to back weeks. KI’s might’ve gone to KD last year after the event, or- are they stored at Kern in NewOrleans? Not sure. They might all go back there each year for storage-refurbishing since they aren’t stored in the tents (just odd pieces and parts and still parts of the 50th, that’s hopefully headed to KD next year to recoup that investment. 

Did Carowinds even have carnivale this year?

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Did Carowinds even have carnivale this year?

Forgot about that. Nope. So I guess they just sent a set to each of the “tower” parks since the event overlapped. Regardless, KD has the server had last year, and we have the set we had in 21. Again, they might not ship “park to park” but from a central storage area they go back. Not sure where the components are stored between years. We do know they are broken down and I believe the bases kept to be redressed for Winterfest. 

I have been very, very distant from looking into Carnivale as the event has been on average the same for years. I decided tonight I'd go and check it out, the change at 5 on the dot from the usual fanfare to the Carnivale music was a very distinct and welcomed change. The actual event itself was very bizarre this year. Firstly, the fact the parade starts at 9, when I'm typically back home or doing something downtown was a very big clash to the usual family friendly 7ish start. That on-top of the fact that there is no tasting cards for 2024 left an upsetting taste in my mouth. I decided to not get any food, as honestly the food tasting cards have been what drives me to food events in the past. Considering I'm a passholder for CF, Universal Studios Orlando Premier and a WDW Incredipass holder, I know how food events operate and every time I get a tasting card or some incentive, I am more inclined to actually eat what they have. This year just feels like they dropped the ball once again.

I love the concept of Grand Carnivale, I love what it brings to the park, I want this to be an annual tradition for friends and family as I have fond memories of the event going back to when it began. This year, being a very short stint, at a different part of the year and without the food tasting cards just didn't work.

The key point is that I'm a foodie, give me an excuse to spend more so I feel like I get more value out of my food experience. Tasting cards are KING when it comes to events like this and the fact that we didn't get any is upsetting. I saw the food offered, which looked pretty good to be honest. Chef Major definitely has a hand in this event as he did in the past, so nothing here is directed at him, it's the administration or park operations who dropped the ball this year. 

Watch the parade tonight. Being twilight or semi dark ( depending on what area you watch it in) adds so much to it. The lights on the floats, the buildings, trees and fountains ( and Coney Mall Midway...I didn't watch at the tie dye shoppe stop) were perfectly executed.  So much better than a 7pm or 8pm parade. They have outdo e themselves with the parade this year in spite of floats being cut.

I have a feeling this will be the last year of the event.  It has declined so much from 2019.  I wish they would do it to that level ( except move India to a better location than Tower Gardens) or put it out of its misery. The parade can't carry the event.

On 8/4/2024 at 7:41 PM, BB1 said:

I have been very, very distant from looking into Carnivale as the event has been on average the same for years. I decided tonight I'd go and check it out, the change at 5 on the dot from the usual fanfare to the Carnivale music was a very distinct and welcomed change. The actual event itself was very bizarre this year. Firstly, the fact the parade starts at 9, when I'm typically back home or doing something downtown was a very big clash to the usual family friendly 7ish start. That on-top of the fact that there is no tasting cards for 2024 left an upsetting taste in my mouth. I decided to not get any food, as honestly the food tasting cards have been what drives me to food events in the past. Considering I'm a passholder for CF, Universal Studios Orlando Premier and a WDW Incredipass holder, I know how food events operate and every time I get a tasting card or some incentive, I am more inclined to actually eat what they have. This year just feels like they dropped the ball once again.

I love the concept of Grand Carnivale, I love what it brings to the park, I want this to be an annual tradition for friends and family as I have fond memories of the event going back to when it began. This year, being a very short stint, at a different part of the year and without the food tasting cards just didn't work.

The key point is that I'm a foodie, give me an excuse to spend more so I feel like I get more value out of my food experience. Tasting cards are KING when it comes to events like this and the fact that we didn't get any is upsetting. I saw the food offered, which looked pretty good to be honest. Chef Major definitely has a hand in this event as he did in the past, so nothing here is directed at him, it's the administration or park operations who dropped the ball this year. 

You hit on an interesting aspect of this- the random , moved around, dates it always gets. Why isn’t this “the festival that always runs on weekends in August” or something like that. It actually feels a bit wasted in July with all that’s already going on. With all the parks that have dropped it, there are PLENTY of decor, costumes and infrastructure items to allocate to 2-3 parks permanently and not have to reschedule the event to pass it around.  I feel this really should’ve been a “Taft park” exclusive. The Eiffel Tower and international street just make it “work”. If they had seen the success in year one, invested in some real infrastructure like permanent smaller stages, semi permanent food booths that could be redressed for other festivals, development of tower gardens and Oktoberfest into the main festival centers…. But I think they got stars in their eyes (and dollars on their bottom line) and tried to roll it out almost chain-wide only to see it get so diluted at the parks that launched it, that it was no longer a valid offering. Sadly i agree this felt like a “wake” year more than a grand continuation. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

You hit on an interesting aspect of this- the random , moved around, dates it always gets. Why isn’t this “the festival that always runs on weekends in August” or something like that. It actually feels a bit wasted in July with all that’s already going on. With all the parks that have dropped it, there are PLENTY of decor, costumes and infrastructure items to allocate to 2-3 parks permanently and not have to reschedule the event to pass it around.  I feel this really should’ve been a “Taft park” exclusive. The Eiffel Tower and international street just make it “work”. If they had seen the success in year one, invested in some real infrastructure like permanent smaller stages, semi permanent food booths that could be redressed for other festivals, development of tower gardens and Oktoberfest into the main festival centers…. But I think they got stars in their eyes (and dollars on their bottom line) and tried to roll it out almost chain-wide only to see it get so diluted at the parks that launched it, that it was no longer a valid offering. Sadly i agree this felt like a “wake” year more than a grand continuation. 

Look I can tell you with certainty when certain events are happening in the Orlando parks, make it the same for KI. Kings Island has a really strong passholder base that would tap in if they actually put the effort in. This year just felt vague, even the Wine event fell flat for me. If they were to create flyers or some form of cadence with "Seasons of FUN", April-May Wine Festival June-July Carnivale August-September Rivertown BBQ Rodeo or whatever I feel like that would hit better than the half baked concepts we got this year. 

The fact that I'm even complaining that I didn't have the opportunity to spend money at the park is very bizarre but it's just the way I feel like the park is going. I feel like Kings Island, if they had an actual force behind them that cares for the events enough to make the full experience unique it could have been so much better.