IJST non-Update

CoasterKrazy

While at the park on Monday, August 22, Italian Job was running three trains, with average intervals of about 1 minute, providing a capacity of 720 people per hour. Every so often the crew could get the trains out as soon as the previous train had left the helicopter scene (which I believe is necessary for maximum capacity) but not on a regular basis.

Despite the awesome crew, I'm not here to talk about capacity. While standing in line, and while hanging around at the Skyline Chili Patio behind Scrambler, I noticed what seemed to be "triggers" located at strategic areas on the track. These areas are where the rumored fishtailing is supposed to be (Area 1: 1/4 way down initial drop after helix, preparing for cop car scene. Area 2: Hill after overbank, just before staircase, where a fishtailing sign can be found) Due to the fact that IJST is running three trains, I'm wondering if PKI has abandoned the fishtailing and/or the staircase effect.

Does anyone have any information that could shed light on this subject?

To back up what Dane said, we were told that the fishtailing mechanism works by the car resting on some sort of rolling wheel and having springs to support it. Once the springs get loosened, you'll be able to feel the fishtailing, but until then it's time to use your imagination..

Now, you may be thinking of the electromagnetic sensors that trigger the different effects as the train passes by. That's what sets off the sounds as well as the animated effects.

Why would someone do that. I realize that some may think its funny but its really not. Its a shame to see 1 or 2 people ruin the entire ride for the thousands of guest that will ride after then.

You really cant even feel the fish tale at all right now so I bet will take longer for them to break in. I really wish they would fix the speakers though cause makes this ride that much better.

I noticed what seemed to be "triggers" located at strategic areas on the track.  These areas are where the rumored fishtailing is supposed to be (Area 1: 1/4 way down initial drop after helix, preparing for cop car scene. Area 2: Hill after overbank, just before staircase, where a fishtailing sign can be found).

Is this what you are refering too, the little thing on the track ahead of the train?

IJST Picture

Nope. What I'm talking about is just below the bottom of the photo.

The reason I bring this up is because I had never noticed the triggers I had seen on Monday, and I can't seem to find them in any photos either. Which makes me wonder, if they are for the fishtailing effect, why isn't is working (or working to extent that is noticeable?)

I heard it's because of vandalism, last time I was on it the speakers were shoved back in further than they should be. Some people really suck! mad.gif

How so? Furthermore, EVERY speaker on EVERY train was damaged by vandalism? I'm not doubting what you heard, I just have trouble seeing it. Why do the headlights not function? I agree with an earlier post, what little music the ride had made a big difference. It definitely makes the ride way more interesting than what it is. Oh well, not really surprised, hopefully it will work again next season.....

- Todd

Sounds like a lot of fun stuff to look forward to in 2006 at KD unsure.gif

Anyway since we are getting this ride as well (most likely a clone dry.gif ) is the ride smooth with good banking on the turns that rolls at the center of the car, much like a heartline roll and I guess the best examples of that are newer Intamin coasters... And I've just heard the seats suck, just wondering how true that is?

Hopefully, the PKD will recieve more theming to it; ours looks kinda bare, especially with aerial shots of IJ. I guess the designers were going for a more abstract view of LA with highway signs and police cars, not having an extremely detailed block of Los Angeles in the middle of an Ohio amusement park.

IJ:T should've been a Test Track clone with more turns and hills, that would've made it so much cooler!

Surely they can find a way to make the speakers tamper proof

maybe they can run an electric current through it so when you touch it it zaps you. Then when the train gets back to the station, anyone with smoking nostrils and frizzy hair automatically gets ejected from the park. biggrin.gif

IJ:T should've been a Test Track clone with more turns and hills, that would've made it so much cooler!

Test Track was my first Disney ride ever, and all of my contempt for PKI's themeing now stems from it, and all the other rides at Disney World.

Ahhh...to see real themeing again...::drools::