To Change, or Not to Change: PKI 2007

CoastersNSich

Well a new map will come out on August 1st. So if they are going to have a Winter Fest it might be on that map. Also all around the park all posters have been taken down and replace by Nick or Treat and Fear Fest posters. I don't think Winter Fest will be back this year. Also does anyone know when Kings Island will say what ride will come next year or they not getting a ride?

Another change I saw all of the other Paramount parks flags of other parks have been taken down, but I did see a Snoopy shrit on sale in the shop next to Drop Zone.

I am very glad that Cedar Fair purchased Paramount Parks. I think that after a couple of years the park will be uncomparable with todays park. And I sincerely hope that Cedar Fair removes everything and anything that says Paramount unless it is a reference about the parks history. And if the new owners demand nothing less than the quality of Cedar Point itself, then I think that some people are going to be in for quite a surprise as to what kind of atmosphere that they have missed out on during the Paramount years. The parks history is a great story. And one that should not be forgotten. Kings Island can truly be a very beautiful park. I remember when it was a gorgeous park. And I really hope that Cedar Fair realizes that they have this opportunity to remove the disease that is Paramount and bring back the experience that Kings Island offered in the past.

Parmounts Kings Island should be renamed to Kings Island

It would be dooming the park into a shameful existence if Cedar Fair did not choose to advertise their own name.

Kings Island A Cedar Fair L.P. Park would be quite appropriate

Another change I saw all of the other Paramount parks flags of other parks have been taken down, but I did see a Snoopy shrit on sale in the shop next to Drop Zone.

I don't understand what you mean. I just looked on cedarfair.com and the red flags marking the Paramount parks are still fluttering away on their map. In addition the flags in the center of Coney Mall that represent the other parks were still there.

(Look by the Skeeball building you will see a cluster of flags:

State flags for:

*North Carolina

*South Carolina

*Ohio

*California

*Virginina

*Canadian Flag

*City of Cincinnati Flag

which leaves one pole left, that might be an American flag or a Paramount Parks flag...

I think it should go back to King's Island. I also think that most of the GP already refer to it as King's Island and not Paramount's King's Island. However, CF may be taking in to consideration that it would be costly to replace the brand new Paramount sign in the parking lot. Maybe they are thinking that they could get another season or two out of the sign before they plunk down a huge chunk of change for a new one. Of course, there is the possibility that I am talking out of my butt too! laugh.gif

I have seen the construction photos for that sign. That sign is made in several pieces. The part of the sign with the Paramount Kings Island on it is separate from the rest of the sign. All they have to do is take that off re-do it or create another piece for the sign and that problem is solved. I do not think that it would be too costly to re-do that.

Well, when paramount bought the parks in 1992, all they did to the original sign was removed the original KI logo portion and replaced it with the new PKI logo. (They add to add on a little bit for the Paramount portion). In the last years before the sign was blown over, you could still make out where the old Kings Island logo had been from the weather stains.

Well, if you want to get technical, it wouldn`t say "King`s Island." That is because the correct spelling of Kings Island is without an apostrophe, and is based on the location that KI is built near, Kings Mills. There used to be several mills located on the Little Miami River (which is visible from the Eiffel Tower). One of the mills was owned by someone with the last name of King, and that is how Kings Mills got its name. There was a link to the specific history related to Kings Mills in another thread.

Yes it can be done without replacing the whole sign. Here is a pic of the construction of the sign which shows that it is possible. All pictures are from pkicentral.com just to let you all know.

user posted image

Picture to show you how it is done incase you are wondering

user posted image

Full sign when it is completed

user posted image

If you notice only the top part of the sign needs to be changed due to the round thing at the top which was made for the Paramount logo. It could be used for something else so then they would just have to change lettering. But otherwise anything on the sign looks to be able to be removed and changed.

Except, of course, that the bottom portion of the sign is a replica of the one at Paramount Studios in California......

True but it all depends on what Cedar Fair wants to do. It would probably be cheaper to just fix the sign and replace only the top part. But as the sign does have a Hollywood feel to it then they may want to get a new sign totally. I was just showing that it is possible to remove part of the sign without getting a whole new sign.

How many guests really associate the bottom of the sign with the Paramount studios? Chances are if Cedar Fair drops the Paramount name in all the park titles, they will simply replace the individual sign lettering and not a whole portion of the sign.

I live very close to KI and have never associated the sign with Paramount...didn't even think about the bottom part looking like the Paramount Studios entrance before.

I don't see them changing the whole sign...it's too good and expensive to waste, but could be changed easily for little cost. Then they can use the rebranding money on other park changes and rides!

I say get rid of the Paramount name, but keep the themes. Maybe this could help CF improve their ability to theme rides. After all, Paramount has done well at theming most rides, but kept themes away from some signature rides that don't need it (Beast, Son of Beast, etc.).