What does PKI need to take the next step as a theme park?

GADVFREAK99

Expect 08' to be a great year!

If I had a dollar for everytime I've seen that phrase on a this site... We heard that about 02, then 03, 04, 05(IJST, then everyone was disappointed), and 06. Now in 07, we are getting a major coaster, but it seems to not count just because it isn't a *new* ride.

Firehawk is going to be a GREAT addition to bring the thrillseekers back to the park. To everyone else who visits Kings Island, Firehawk is a MAJOR thrill ride, and that will draw people in the gates just as much as a B&M Invert will. The general population isn't going to care that this ride isn't brand new, 200ft tall, have 9 loops, or go 80mph.

No matter what KI installs, some people just never will be happy.

Back to topic. Does Racer and Vortex still have the chasing lights on the lifts? The last time I was in the park at night was 2001, and I thought there was talk a few years ago about them not working anymore.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they still work it just that the timer doesn't work all the time the employees have to go down to turn them on. remember its not for looks it is so the driver of the ride sees the people on the train as it goes up the hill. trust me i have been working on Vortex since 2004.

Expect 08' to be a great year!

If I had a dollar for everytime I've seen that phrase on a this site... We heard that about 02, then 03, 04, 05(IJST, then everyone was disappointed), and 06. Now in 07, we are getting a major coaster, but it seems to not count just because it isn't a *new* ride.

Firehawk is going to be a GREAT addition to bring the thrillseekers back to the park. To everyone else who visits Kings Island, Firehawk is a MAJOR thrill ride, and that will draw people in the gates just as much as a B&M Invert will. The general population isn't going to care that this ride isn't brand new, 200ft tall, have 9 loops, or go 80mph.

No matter what KI installs, some people just never will be happy.

I couldn't agree more. The vast majority of people who visit the parks aren't the coaster fanatics that we are, so they will truly appreciate Firehawk as a wonderful new addition to the park. Heck, even I consider it a great new addition to the park, and think this will really balance out the fun factor quite well.

Personally, I don't care if KI ever gets a steel hyper, or giga-whatever that soars hundreds of feet in the air at 90+ MPH and has 10 inversions. If anything, I'd prefer to see another wooden coaster with a truly unique layout, and it doesn't even have to be as high as SOB. But that's beside the point. The truth is, KI already has a great coaster lineup, as well as a lot of other great rides, that make for a really fun time at the park. There is even enough there to warrant a 2-day visit. KI has a world-class kids area, a huge assortment of mid-range rides and a lot of fun family coasters, as well as breathtaking major coasters and extreme rides.

What I would really like to see KI work on building is a section of the park that recreates a village setting which focuses on old-world fun and good times, kinda like a renaissance-themed section that incorporates all the same great features that you will find at the Ohio Renaissance Festival. Great crafters, who truly make their crafts as you watch, wonderful skits and shows, homestyle food, hecklers that taunt you as you walk from shop to shop. Things like that. Throw in a unique dark ride, and it would be a really cool addition to the park.

If Kings Island had full service restaurants and shows like the park used too it will be taken to the next step. Also Kings Island is fixing the a wooden hyper that could have a new layout depending on what type of trains it will get. I don't think you will see another new coaster till 2010. Also I think in 2008 you might see a flat ride with a little TLC for the park.

Also I think Fear Fest will be big this year.

I would like to begin this by saying Kings Island is already a World Class Theme Park. Saying that it could and does need a little love and care. The following ideas are for increasing per capita spending and overall love for the park.

1. Food: This needs an upgrade in a couple areas.

A. The park needs more indoor restaurants so that a family can sit together even when it rains and have a nice reasonably priced meal.

B. The park needs to add at least tacos, this has to be one of the only places left in America that does not have a mexican menu.

C. Cheese-On-A-Stick we need it. Enough Said.

D. REASONABLY PRICED FOOD.

E. This will help keep people in the park, instead of leaving to go outside for lunch or dinner.

2. Entertainment: Paramount killed this area and it once was great.

A. Roaming entertainment. Remember the Kings Island Band...

B. Unexpected entertainment such as jugglers and dare I say it a mime or two. Unexpected entertainment makes people feel they are getting more for their money.

C. Keep the crowds busying and you will have less vandalism.

3. Looks of park: How a park looks in photos is how others who have not been to work see it.

A. Keep areas newly painted and clean.

B. Replace black top with cement.

C. Clean and well maintained restrooms are the most important.

D. Every employee needs to help keep park clean, as do loyal patrons.

4. Rides: Maintain and increase safety and reliabity of rides.

A. Fix Son of Beast and do not open till it is done right.

B. Keep all the rides in park and add more year to year.

C. Remove pay as you go rides and add good rides. It sounds like double talk but, I am trying to say the Sky Coaster, Sling Shot and Trampolines need to be replaced by rides you do not have to pay extra to ride.

D. Add rides that the whole family can enjoy also such as bringing back Antique Cars and a new Flying Eagles.

E. Think about adding some gentle rides to Action Zone.

F I hope as we all do that we get Hyper, B&M and another wood coaster like (Voyage at Holiday World) but, not until it has been well thought out and added on Cedar Fairs schedule. It is more important to have a great park not a bankrupt park.

I know this is a long list but, Kings Island is the park I call my home park. I love this park and only wish I could help it more.

Here's to a GREAT 2007 and many more years to come....

When the park DID add Mexican food, it was a very poor imitation of Chipotle...and it only got worse as time went on.

I hope they didn't take away the wrong lesson, as in Mexican food won't sell here.

Note, too, the very similar Chinese food story...done not once but twice...the second time around was great for about a month, but quality quickly went downhill fast.

I miss good Chinese food in a park...and KI is one of the very few parks that has none at all...nothing particularly Kosher either, come to think of it..

Just imagine how packed the Flight of Fear Firehawk area will be during Fearfest not just that the whole season too. i can see them being smart and making the area bigger during Fearfest it will be 4 attractions located all in 1 little place like FoF, Maze of Madness (i like that name better) Path, and NEW for 2007 Firehawk. now I can see already that ether Path or the Maze will not come back for 2007 unless they move it some where else. if 2006 Fear fest was crowded think how crowded 07 will be!!!

I agree that both sky flyer and Sling Shot are popular but, it is to much to ask people to pay to get in then pay for are these extras. Move them all and add a mini golf and also move go carts to a new area between rides and waterpark. Call those extras challenge park. That way there is something to do on walkway to waterpark. Just an idea. Then you could put a couple of gentle rides like a ferris wheel or something in Action Zone.

I know this may sound crazy, and yes, I am aware that blacktop does it get quite hot, but it is softer on the feet. Cement is harder and therefore harder on someone to walk on all day. I don't mind getting cups of water versus extremely sore feet, but that's just me. I think most of the things you have said though were very well thought out. I dont think the pay per rides are moving any time soon though.

I still say the park needs a new paint job pretty much all over.

They could always do like Busch and Great Adventure, and paint the asphalt colours. Surprisingly, it seems to last all season. Great Adventure has large areas of sky blue, and Busch has red areas...asphalt underneath. Come to think of it, with all the concrete, it is at Cedar Point where I get that affliction we call "Cedar Point feet." Dorney, too. And it dazzles in the sun...not comfortably so, either.

As far as paint, the #1 ride that needs painting is Top Gun. I would like if they painted it the same colors as Carowind's Top Gun; silver track with blue supports; instead of silver/grey.

I also really like that idea about moving all of the pay-to-ride attractions to their own area by Boomerang Bay. That would free up just about the entire area where King Cobra was(except for Delirium) for future attractions. Although it will most likely never happen.

Where to begin?

cewldre Posted Yesterday, 11:38 PM

I know this may sound crazy, and yes, I am aware that blacktop does it get quite hot, but it is softer on the feet. Cement is harder and therefore harder on someone to walk on all day. I don't mind getting cups of water versus extremely sore feet, but that's just me. I think most of the things you have said though were very well thought out. I dont think the pay per rides are moving any time soon though.

I still say the park needs a new paint job pretty much all over.

Well, for starters the midways at Kings Island that are not asphalt or unit pavers are comprised of concrete, not cement. Cement is an ingredient (the glue) in the concrete mix.

The dazzling of the concrete is due to its high albedo. It reflects the sunlight. A similar thing happens when it snows out, since snow is also high albedo. The one advantage to the high albedo of the concrete, is that it reduces the heat island effect in the peak of summer and provides for generally cooler temperatures.

And yes, asphalt doesn`t have to be the plain black asphalt with the typical sealer on it. There are numerous companies out there that offer asphalt stamping. This is one such company and one of their projects for a crosswalk.

I have a question does any one else have a problem with the steps on the family raft ride in the waterpark? The steps have a cover that really hurts the bottoms of your feet. I know of at least two people who will not go on that water ride due to how bad it hurts your feet.

Yea that why I hate going to the water park period because my feel will get too sore.

I agree with westcoasterman. I have lived in Cincinnati my entire life and Kings Island is, and always will be, my home park. I, like many of you out there, was disgraced by some of the things that Paramount did to the park and how they let it go. I think one of the best things they can do to get to the next step is to spruce the park up. Many buildings and rides need fresh coats of paint, more trees need to be added, and the concept of the differend "themed" areas needs to return (I could slugg the person who decided to put TRTR in the middle of Rivertown. That ride has no place in that part of the park). Now that CF owns the park I think we can eventually be expecting a B&M invert (should've gotten this years ago), or an Intamin hyper. However, since we are getting a major thrill ride this year, it's probably safe to say that CF will not install another major coaster in '08. I imagine they will use next year to continue fixing up the park and continue transition from Paramount to a more traditional CF park. My guess is that in '08 we will get a screamin' swing or some other new flat ride. Then in 2009 we will maybe see that sick Intamin hyper or strata, or maybe a B&M invert probably behind The Racer/Firehawk area.

I have been checking out the site for awhile now and decided to join. This seemed like a good topic to start with. KI is pretty much the only park I have been to and I have been a bunch. Save for a trip to Florida as a child. The stuff that has been said is good. The theming needs fixed, Oktoberfest is nothing anymore, as well as RT. RT doesn't fit the name anymore. I would like to see a water thrill ride again, not something like Amazon Falls, or whatever its called now. It would add a family thrill ride outside of NU. The food thing could use some major work, whats wrong with having a nice eat in. The coaster thing is pretty good with the addition of FH. It doesn't matter if it is used. I have never rode it, last time I went up north it was Sea World and that was the early 80s. I will avoid it though, since it will have horrid lines. A big steel coaster would be good. Vortex is nice, but there have been major advances since it was built. I just hope they don't move stuff out to make room for new things, i.e. the log flume. How 'bout re-theming the RR like it used to be! I always liked the gun fights.