My Kings Island Itinerary

Blackhole6670

I will be going to Kings Island in late may early june. I will try to get to the opening hour as best as I can because I live in Nashville Tennessee and I hope I can get there before or during opening hour. I will be riding any ride that I can. I will even ride slingshot and Xtreme Skyflyer. I am hoping to go with one of my friends ( who will be a girl ) and hold their hand if I get scared on rides. I have heard that prices are cheaper online as well as the prices for slingshot and Xtreme Skyflyer are cheaper in the beginning of the day. I will ride those rides later in the day because that is when the park is more crowded. Here is the order of rides that I will ride that I can:
Arrive
Get tickets for slingshot and Xtreme Skyflyer ( I will ride these later )
Firehawk
Invertigo
Drop Tower
The Bat
Vortex
Banshee
WindSeeker
Delirium
Slingshot
Flight of Fear
Xtreme Skyflyer
Diamondback
And what ever ride I want to ride again I will.
Does my list need editing? When is lunch a good idea? What is the best ride that is listed? Any other advice for Kings Island? I am happy to edit my list and happy for feedback. If you have any feedback, feel free to list your own thoughts. Thanks.

I agree with riding Flight of Fear while you are in X-base to ride Firehawk.  That area will build lines quickly and keep them the rest of the day.  Banshee usually does not have a long line because it chews through people so well, so you could ride it, The Bat, Adventure Express, Vortex, and Racer during the afternoon when all the lines are at their peak. Rides in Planet Snoopy, as well as many others like Backlot and Invertigo will slack off toward the end of the day. 

Another handy trick - if it's a 10pm close, do Beast before you leave.  It will suspend operation at 9:45 for the nearby fireworks, and after the line closes at 10, they wait until the fireworks are over and the track has been checked, and then reopen at about 10:15 for those that are in line...and I should elaborate...those that stay in line.  It's amazing how many people won't wait a few extra minutes.  This ensures that you will get a ride that is completely dark and the other handy thing is that by the time you get to the parking lot, the mad rush for the exit will be gone.  I wouldn't wait for the last train though - it's usually a fairly empty train and therefore not as fast.

Hope these tips help.

• Like 4

I'm a BIG fan of the backlot coaster at night. The signs, the lights, the sirens, the flames... Really a cool time to experience it. 

Unfortunately, on very few nights can I get more than two sincere night rides. By summer, sun doesn't set until 9 and a true, pitch black ride is hard to find before 10. And then there are the times you wait and wait, time it perfectly, and they leave the work lights on!  -_-

• Like 2

If the park is busy---or even if not---take advantage of the flat rides.  Viking Ship.  I somehow almost always end up getting on Shake Rattle and Roll.  The lines are short, and provide a good time when you're tired of standing in long lines.  You won't lose much time on the big rides waiting for a couple minutes to get on some of the smaller ones.  Heck, even Boo Blasters is a nice change-up.

• Like 1

Basically any itinerary benefits from knowing what to hit FIRST, what to hit LAST, and the touring plans others use.

You're right to start in X-Base, and hit both of those roller coasters first.

I'd end on The Beast (but do it during the day, too).

I wouldn't write down the list you've written here and bring it with you and meticulously check them off in order. Even if you tried, that would go out the window when you get to coaster #3 and see it's got an hour wait.

Basically, you want to get to all of the big attractions. If you're coming from Tennessee, this is probably a rare visit, so that's a good plan. But don't over plan. Know where to start. Get lunch before or after everyone else does. But you'll drive yourself crazy criss-crossing the park just to arbitrarily hit the rides in the order you've invented here.

If you're going on a Saturday in June, it might behoove you to be ready to purchase Fast Lane just in case. It's really made for just such occasions - someone visiting from out-of-state who has only one chance to get on every ride they want. 

• Like 5

But how much should I bring to the park if I want admission, tickets to slingshot and xtreme skyfyler early on, food, drinks, a picture from Firehawk, and parking? Also how do you put on the restraints to Firehawk?

Those questions and more have all been answered in the other topic you started. Read through that. And do your own due diligence by checking around the Kings Island website. You'll find the price of admission + the price of parking + $10 for Slingshot + $10 for Xtreme Skyflier + whatever you decide to budget for food and drinks + etc. etc. 

And really, don't stress about it. Does it help you to know that you sit down, slide into a vest that's anchored to the seat and snap it closed with a seatbelt-like lock, then a ride operator pushes a lap bar into your stomach? Probably not, because that's what people said in the other thread and you're still asking. Which is fine, but it means that you'll probably have to see it in person to understand it. I sure would, because words don't paint a clear enough picture for me.

Just know that the actual putting-on of the restraints is nothing to worry about at all, but especially not six months before your trip. Click here for a video of people getting out of the restraint. Play it in reverse and you've got the loading procedure.  ;) See also, this Travel Channel clip.

• Like 3

Like others have said, plan but don't overplan. When I went to Hershey/Dorney last year, I had rides I wanted to ride (especially new coaster credits to get!) but I often stopped to smell the roses, which lead to some unexpected surprises along the way (such as ZooAmerica at Hershey and Chickies and Petes/Dinosaurs Alive/Wildwater Kingdom at Dorney). My recommendations:

-Get to X-Base first and get FOF/Firehawk out of the way

-Then do everything else, though you may want to hit the Coney flats early (Scrambler, Dodgems, etc.) and Woodstock's Gliders as they develop long lines at Saturdays.

-Also, make sure to buy Skyflier/Slingshot tickets early at the beginning of the day

-Please ride The Bat; it is seriously underrated! 

-Good night rides include: Beast, Adventure Express, Vortex, WindSeeker. 

-Have Fun!

• Like 3

I'm likely in the minority. But for all my new park visits, I've looked to see what rides are open for ERT or if there are staggered start times for rides. I also try to visit on weekdays and avoid Saturdays. That's it to my planning.

There are a few things I do that tend to make it easier for me. I hit most parks in a clockwise or counterclockwise fashion. I do my best to not backtrack as I waste more time that way. For some parks, it is helpful to plan when you hit each section based on any shows you want to see. That doesn't seem to be as big of a deal at KI and in late May/early June, there aren't typically as many shows.

Have a great trip!

• Like 1

Like others have said, plan but don't overplan. When I went to Hershey/Dorney last year, I had rides I wanted to ride (especially new coaster credits to get!) but I often stopped to smell the roses, which lead to some unexpected surprises along the way (such as ZooAmerica at Hershey and Chickies and Petes/Dinosaurs Alive/Wildwater Kingdom at Dorney). My recommendations:

-Get to X-Base first and get FOF/Firehawk out of the way

-Then do everything else, though you may want to hit the Coney flats early (Scrambler, Dodgems, etc.) and Woodstock's Gliders as they develop long lines at Saturdays.

-Also, make sure to buy Skyflier/Slingshot tickets early at the beginning of the day

-Please ride The Bat; it is seriously underrated! 

-Good night rides include: Beast, Adventure Express, Vortex, WindSeeker. 

-Have Fun!

I'm glad for what you said about The Bat.  It's also a good night ride.  I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one that feels that way about Adventure Express and Vortex at night.  AE gives some of its best rides that way, and it's typically a walk-on at that time of night.  It was nice when you could re-ride a few times...but we can't keep everything I guess...

• Like 2