Intoxicated parents let 15-year-old son drive to Cedar Point

Well, as long as he wasn't intoxicated too. Fifteen year olds can be a lot more responsible than they are given credit for. Probably the distraction of his drunken parents was more dangerous than his speeding. That speed sounds more like what one often needs to drive to not have other drivers dangerously changing lanes around one in annoyance on Ohio interstates.

• Like 9

In the State of Ohio (last I checked), you get a temporary drivers permit at 15 where someone has to be monitoring you while you drive (aka, sober) and you're limited to how many people you can have in the car.  You have to clock in so many hours plus take drivers ed to get a license from there. 

• Like 2

The reality is the entire family is.

Hopefully, there are responsible relatives to take in the kids (grandparents, uncle, aunt, etc.).

Otherwise, the kids are likely to become wards of the state under CPS (Child Protective Services). That well meaning but chronically underfunded agency can be a nightmare.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that this family is poor, underclass or of any given background.

Alcoholism, and that is likely what it is, is no respecter of class, income, gender or any other category.

And those affected by it, which include the family, friends, neighbors and community, struggle mightily and often vainly.

And, there are those who will tell you the affliction is genetic. Others will say it's environmental. Either way or in combination, there is cause for great concern here.

Social drinkers aren't stone drunk letting their unlicensed 15 year old drive 120 miles at 8 AM.

I would give a dollar to know what the kid was driving. And if he was actually sober. He may not have been.

I also feel terrible for the 12 year old sister.

At least the kids have a story for show and tell/papers: What I Did Last Summer. Are they ashamed? Proud?

• Like 16

My kid drives me there...but I don't get lit...just smoke a doob or two man's. What...cmon...timeout to end the segment. Far out. That's asinine. No way I'd do that...

I'd just do some bath salts. Hey now. Woah.

Heh. Just a little CID or something to take the edge off. Now that's not right. A little too far buddy. Back it in just a little. Ridiculous.

• Like 1