Vortex to be retired soon?

stashua123

I'm not claiming parks have never, ever had track or supports replaced. I don't have inside information about the maintenance of roller coasters. I'm just saying that, apart from accidents or poor design, I can't think of a viable reason that they would need to.

I don't know about supports, but I know that some rails on Vortex have been replaced. Magnum too, I think.

If roller coaster are designed like bridges, the number of loading cycles to which the structure is subjected will be taken into consideration. It is possible to design a structure in such a way that, theoretically, it can be subjected to an infinite number of cycles without fatigue becoming a problem. But, as others have said, there's really no incentive for parks to pay for a ride that will literally last a lifetime. Vortex will be replaced at some point, but not because of poor design. Either the ride will come to the end of its design life, or its marketable life. In the end, it comes down to money, and the point at which it no longer makes sense for the park to maintain the ride.

• Like 3

And The Bat is proof that some TLC can actually change the experience of a steel coaster pretty substantially. Seriously, on media day, that ride was running so smooth it was amazing. Not that it's rough by any stretch, but it was smoothER.

Top Bat Gun Deck has, on the worst days that I can recall, always been a much more smooth ride than the other two Arrow Suspendeds I've ridden. Granted, my experience with it only goes back to 2010, so I could certainly be wrong.

• Like 5

Hmm...the question of how much longer the 3 Arrow coasters @ Kings Island will last is an interesting one. My thoughts are based on looking at other coasters that are either still around or have been demolished. I'll start with Vortex...

Vortex

The ride is still reliable, popular, and high-capacity- these 3 factors are clearly in Vortex's favor. However, several of its kin have bit the dust, but not all- the Loch Ness Monster at BGW is nearly a decade older, is also very large and fast, and it's still running well. However, once metal fatigue starts to set in (will probably happen to an older ride like LNM first before Vortex though) I don't think Vortex has a chance. Vortex will probably reach its 30th anniversary in 2017. 35th is possible. 40th is a large stretch. But I'm 90% sure Vortex won't be able to hit 50, sadly.

The Bat

Big Bad Wolf gives us a timetable here- that ride lasted 25 years before kicking the bucket. According to that timetable, The Bat will end its run in 2018. Though Iron Dragon @ Cedar Point has already reached 25 as well, that's a much tamer coaster, and being aggressive does wear a coaster down faster. And Vortex @ Canada's Wonderland is very popular, so it's also possible The Bat could be scrapped simply to help that ride last longer. However, the ride was just re-named and re-painted...but King Cobra was repainted in 1999. In 2002, it was gone. So that doesn't help as much as I'd originally think. The Bat will probably outlive Vortex, but I'd guess it would too be gone not too long after.

Adventure Express

Of the 3, this one will probably be the last Arrow in the park when all is said and done. Mine Train Coasters in general seem to have insanely long lifespans for steel coasters, with many from the mid-1960's still running strong today (AE opened in 1991- 25 years after the 1st mine train opened and that one is STILL running today to boot). This is probably also due to, as suggested above, the fact Mine Trains are family coasters and thus don't have crazy g-forces. The wooden supports also likely help as those would be easy enough to fix/replace. I could actually see this ride still running in the year 2040 or later, so long as its popularity doesn't drop off or the park decides it's in the way of some huge new coaster or something. If it can do that, it could actually likely outlive rides like BLSC or Firehawk. Then again, dumb management has likely killed good coasters that still had plenty of life in them before...though ATM AE should be safe since Cedar Fair seems to know what they're doing.

And that's about how long I'd estimate all 3 Arrows have to go. My advice: ride Vortex & The Bat as much as possible in the next few years, they could be going soon. Ride AE too, though that's more because it's a great ride of its type and not so much that it's going anywhere anytime soon.

• Like 3

Only you would bump something 2 years in advance and say "How quickly they forget". :)

The Interpreter... is that a misnomer or what? He's more like The Encrypter. I mean he mentioned in that thread carrion, which is purifeying flesh! Huh???

I enjoy his "diversions" a lot though.

The thread I was referring to:

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/1078-the-italian-job-stunt-track/page-7

**POST 100!**

• Like 3

Not....yet.

2015 is an important year....

2015 is, unless I'm mistaken, the 10th anniversary season of Backlot Stunt Coaster, am I correct?

Out of curiosity, I was wondering how many rides Vortex has given over its' lifetime?

As of the beginning of the 2013 season, 40,649,743.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/media-center/ride-record-book

At that time, it had completed 26 seasons, averaging 1,563,481 rides a year. So at the end of this season, it will likely be between 43 and 44 million.

• Like 2

I think the page with the ride counts is showing all rides entering the 2014 season.

It mentions the order is listed based on which had the most rides entering 2013; possibly they forgot to change it, or maybe they just wanted to keep it that way?

Vortex is probably that 40,649,743 plus another million or so for this year.

• Like 1

With Terp, things are seldom happenstance. Clear reasons, though, are usually not the right ones. Except when they are.

He leads his life the same way.

For instance, a renewed passport arrived yesterday. And got mentioned here. And no, it's not for SeaWorld. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner? Or Knott's?

Terp, triple cross threadin' (cause double cross threadin' wouldn't be nice).

• Like 5

Close proximity? Viking Fury and Vortex are in close-proximity?

No, Vortex and Back Lot are in close proximity. I was referring to this thread bump as well as the one I mentioned on post #279 and #281. I'd actually forgotten about the Viking Fury bump. "HQIF."

• Like 2

At one point last year, someone told me that 2013 was Vortex's last season. At the time, I thought they were mad. Now, however, I must acknowledge that as a true statement. On November 3rd, however, I will no longer make such an acknowledgement...

Ah, homonyms...

• Like 6