Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

jcgoble3

The 4 pages of blueprints I kindly received from oldschool today, by kindly asking, indicate nothing about the name, layout, or anything I can understand. If I knew how to post them I would. Enlighten me if you know how. The details were zoomed in on footers for the area of work that is highlighted. A lot of coordinate stuff as well that makes no sense to me. There may be more pages but idk. One of the docs talks about future plans being submitted so this may just be the very basics but could be helpful to those more knowledgeable than myself.

If I knew how to post them I would. Enlighten me if you know how.

For various legal reasons, I would highly suggest not posting them publicly. Copies of public records are available through proper channels for those who are interested.

From what little I have seen, details on the plans that people have obtained seem to be limited to the small section of the structure marked "current work area".

• Like 6

If I knew how to post them I would. Enlighten me if you know how.

For various legal reasons, I would highly suggest not posting them publicly. Copies of public records are available through proper channels for those who are interested.

From what little I have seen, details on the plans that people have obtained seem to be limited to the small section of the structure marked "current work area".

It's not illegal to post public info when they make copies for you...it's illegal to then sell that info.  For all we know they're about to take out an endangered bat habitat.  I'm being silly, but these plans are public, and can be shared legally.

• Like 2

If I could just figure out the coord system they use, just those data points in the vid and the expanded view of the abutment is enough to plot everything. Superimpose it on a google map and done. 

The coordinate system is pretty simple. But you need to know the origin to place the ride correctly. 

The 4 pages of blueprints I kindly received from oldschool today, by kindly asking, indicate nothing about the name, layout, or anything I can understand. If I knew how to post them I would. Enlighten me if you know how. The details were zoomed in on footers for the area of work that is highlighted. A lot of coordinate stuff as well that makes no sense to me. There may be more pages but idk. One of the docs talks about future plans being submitted so this may just be the very basics but could be helpful to those more knowledgeable than myself.

If you are so inclined to post images, I'd suggest hosting the images on another site (photobucket, imgur, facebook). I don't know if the KIC TOS has issue with that, though. I have only seen the brief footage of the Area of Work in the video posted a few pages back, and from there I used that to get the scale of the ride. I'm pretty sure those elevations are listed for the top of each foundation, and for the top of the abutment. If you or OldSchool want to share them with me, I would gladly take a look. 

Should I mention that I saw someone in a GCI polo ride The Beast, and then afterwards take pictures of the ride?

That makes me wonder if they would attempt to put Millennium Flyers on The Beast. I'm guessing the capacity would drop to about 30 per train, if GCI will run a 15-car train. Perhaps they will profile it to help reduce the wear on the track?

• Like 3

If I could just figure out the coord system they use, just those data points in the vid and the expanded view of the abutment is enough to plot everything. Superimpose it on a google map and done. 

The coordinate system is pretty simple. But you need to know the origin to place the ride correctly. 

Yeah, the coords themselves are simple. That can give you scale and orientation easily as well even without an origination. But the abutment detail gives you that information directly. I would assume that the coords would use a standardized system, but it doesn't seem to be. Without knowing the system or an origination, they are almost worthless. 

It's not illegal to post public info when they make copies for you...

Obtaining a copy of something doesn't necessarily give you the right to make & distribute additional copies yourself.

True.  But in this case the information is public, so it can be distributed.  Care to debate?

It's not illegal to post public info when they make copies for you...

Obtaining a copy of something doesn't necessarily give you the right to make & distribute additional copies yourself.

True.  But in this case the information is public, so it can be distributed.  Care to debate?

You think the local news couldn't get hold of these plans and post them?  They won't, but you better believe they could!  The fact that these plans are apparently being shared among "preferred" customers of this site would be a violation in itself if it was illegal.  It is not.  Someone post what Mason has, already...because this is getting ridonkulous.

• Like 5

So I was told that KI spelled "Watch For Falling Trees" in sticks in the work site and that it can be seen from Diamondback. Can anybody confirm that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you ride the train, you'll see it. Its right before you return to the station. Its small twigs and things.
  • Like 5

But in this case the information is public, so it can be distributed. Care to debate?

I'm certainly not qualified to debate construction, copyright, or public records law, but see Wikipedia's guidelines to editors concerning the copyright status of public records.

You think the local news couldn't get hold of these plans and post them?  They won't, but you better believe they could!  The fact that these plans are apparently being shared among "preferred" customers of this site would be a violation in itself if it was illegal.  It is not.  Someone post what Mason has, already...because this is getting ridonkulous.

The Cincinnati-area press is not the Sandusky Register.

Wondering... is ridonkulous an Alvey-ism?

• Like 5

I gotta say, I predicted the layout slightly more east.  I was expecting the "area of work" was right over the canal between WWC and the pond.  That little alcove, whatever you want to call it.  But this layout is really close to what I had in mind.  It goes over WWC a bit more than I expected though.  Regardless...great info.  The ride will not intersect Diamondback, which would be cool, but is not how they usually do things.

• Like 3

The train will be going over a 2nd bridge next year.

71c7cc6f55fbf742f890f6b1e18b1fdb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen more than one layout taking this right over top of significant portions of WWC.  This one takes the track on top of the big round-table?   :blink:  

Not saying it isn't possible, but something just doesn't seem right.  That's a huge span to deal with via wood construction.

• Like 6

Thanks for posting that Oldschool75. How do you think that is going to interact with the WWC loading platform, pedestrian bridge with the steps and the operation tower that looks over it all? Your layout looks like it crosses right over that area, and I'm having a hard time picturing how it would all work together.

• Like 2

That would be the Kings Island Theater at 3, 5, and 7, with an additional showing at 1:30 on Saturdays and no showings on one of the weekdays.

TRFTW, always willing to help.

• Like 10

That seems awfully huge. Are you sure you scaled properly given the coordinates in the Area of Work on the plan? [i'm also not entirely sure your elevations match, but I'm going by a very inaccurate topo map.]

Ignoring all the "decoding" and just using my head, I think that they'd want it fairly long to ensure a three train operation, (which GCI has only ventured into recently.) You'd probably have to get over 4000 feet to do that.

Side note: It's about FUN guys; remember that. If you're smiling when you hit the brakes, then it's a good ride.

• Like 5