PKIC Layout Suggestions

Since we are getting closer and closer to the offseason, which is PKIC's "house cleaning" time, the staff has been discussing different ideas about how to change the format of PKIC in order to make it more convenient and a better experience for you.... let me ask a few questions so we can make considerations with our planning...

1) Is there anything on PKIC that is INCONVENIENT to get to? (i.e. takes too many clicks, too long to load, too hard to find)

2) Is there anything about the LAYOUT of PKIC that makes it unique to you and definitely should NOT be changed or replaced?

3) Is the information that you want about PKI readily available on the site, and so you don't have to spend more than a minute searching for it?

4) How would you change the layout of PKIC to improve the look and feel?

5) Is the front page of PKIC eye-catching? Would a new user want to explore more after seeing it?

6) If there were one big thing abut the look and feel or layout of PKIC that I could change if I were a staff member, what would it be?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

1) Is there anything on PKIC that is INCONVENIENT to get to? (i.e. takes too many clicks, too long to load, too hard to find)

When Mm compumter gets shut down and I have to log back in. It takes me to the forum page not the home page, and that makes it more difficult for me.

2) Is there anything about the LAYOUT of PKIC that makes it unique to you and definitely should NOT be changed or replaced?

I dunno

3) Is the information that you want about PKI readily available on the site, and so you don't have to spend more than a minute searching for it?

Yes

Maybe more pictures, I really dunno

5) Is the front page of PKIC eye-catching? Would a new user want to explore more after seeing it?

Yes

6) If there were one big thing abut the look and feel or layout of PKIC that I could change if I were a staff member, what would it be?

Nothing

1) Is there anything on PKIC that is INCONVENIENT to get to?

~I don't see this as a huge deal, but since I'm on a laptop and sometimes don't have a mouse the Menu can be somewhat of a pain to work with. Not a huge deal just heads up.

~ Sadly nothing really strikes my eye, but if you know me that's just how I am a stickler for details and such.

~For the most part, yes. Just the yearly updates need to be made and I know how that goes since I need to do the same with PkdPlace dry.gif

~Brighter, some more color, not so totally "blocky"?

~ unsure.gif

~Make it more of a Kings Island website, right now I get the feeling that it's a IJST website with lacking information on that one ride... blink.gif

~I hope that helps at all smile.gif

Every once in a while, I'll have a problem where the background will load, but the content frame will not. I can usually refresh to correct it. So, in the big scheme of things, it's not a big deal.

Other than that, I think you've got a very easy to use, navigable site. I think new users to the site would be able to quickly find whatever content they're looking for.

I also have to commend you guys on a few things:

1) Keeping the content updated & fresh. I know how difficult that can be (particularly when you're talking about a fairly static topic), but you guys have done a really good job with it. (I'd argue that you do a better job of this than the official PKI site...)

2) Actually soliciting (and then listening to) input from your users. I know a lot of web masters that are so ego-driven in their site design they'd never seek advice from their users.

All-in-all you've got a great fan site here. I can honestly say it's one of the very few sites on the internet that I visit almost every day!

Joel

When Mm compumter gets shut down and I have to log back in. It takes me to the forum page not the home page, and that makes it more difficult for me.

I dunno

Yes

Yes

Nothing

Tubaman, please be more definative with your answers... this is intentended to make PKIC a better place for you and your follow community members! rolleyes.gif

For those of you who said you sometimes have an error loading one thing or another, we always look into this stuff, but 99% of the time it's a problem with the browser you are using rather than a problem with the programming. Contact us if any error is persistant, but usually it's an isolated incident.

~For the most part, yes. Just the yearly updates need to be made and I know how that goes since I need to do the same with PkdPlace

I agree with you 100%. In fact, I noticed yesterday that even our ticket prices are from 2004, which is really bad in my book. We'll fix what we have for now, and we've been working on a checklist of updates for the beginning of the year for the next couple of years.

~Brighter, some more color, not so totally "blocky"?

What would you like instead of the blockyness? The look and feel of the front page is supposed to be like a newspaper, but if you guys would want something different, things can be tweaked.

1) Keeping the content updated & fresh. I know how difficult that can be (particularly when you're talking about a fairly static topic), but you guys have done a really good job with it. (I'd argue that you do a better job of this than the official PKI site...)

Thanks, that means a lot. The best joy we get out of this site is watching it grow and hearing your opinions on our updates. Obviously we all have a big interest in PKI so we don't mind doing these updates in the least, but all of the pre-planning and creative thinking pays off in knowing that hundreds, and in some cases thousands of you look at our photos and watch our videos.

Feel free to continue to leave feedback...

What about the 3D glasses? huh.gif

Actually I think you've got a pretty good site here. You could maybe read through all your pages and make sure you don't have any typos. I have noticed several in there.

This upcharge attraction is one of the most thrilling rides that the park has to offer! Imagine dangling roughly 200ft in the air, with nothing between you and the ground below but air and a small harnass, only to be dropped into a freefall before your harness catches you and swings you back and forth! [Extra fees apply]

It is Harness not Harnass. Stuff like that.

Also - the only change I would make to the layout is maybe just change the look or color of it every once and a while - like every year or so. I like how the site is themed to IJST now - but it won't make sense for 2006. Like do you think Dane could cook up a system for the site that would allow users to pick and choose site-wide skins? I know its possible - I have done it before. laugh.gif

I'm not complaining - just some suggestins.

I dunno

Yes

Yes

Nothing 

Tubaman, please be more definative with your answers... this is intentended to make PKIC a better place for you and your follow community members! 

Ok, I try.

--I sometimes have trouble logging in to it. I find it inconvenient that when I log in, it takes me to this page. I would prefer it to take me to the home page.

2)No comment

3)The information is redily available

4)No comment

5)I find the front page eyecatching. But I find PKDPlace very eyecatching. Look at that page and maybe make it look more like that.

6)I would make it look more like PKDPlace.

In the attractions pages, I think it would be nice to be able to link to the photo gallery on that particular attraction from the attraction page. For example, if you were looking at the list of the family attractions, it would be nice to be able to click on the thumbnail of say, the Scrambler, and see the images in the photo galleries that pertain to that attraction. The same could be useful for the coasters and other attractions. It would help ease navigation on the site, IMO. Because right now, the set up of the photo gallery almost mimicks that of the attraction pages. Why not correlate the two or link them to eliminate some of the redundant navigation, if possible?

In the attractions pages, I think it would be nice to be able to link to the photo gallery on that particular attraction from the attraction page. For example, if you were looking at the list of the family attractions, it would be nice to be able to click on the thumbnail of say, the Scrambler, and see the images in the photo galleries that pertain to that attraction. The same could be useful for the coasters and other attractions. It would help ease navigation on the site, IMO. Because right now, the set up of the photo gallery almost mimicks that of the attraction pages. Why not correlate the two or link them to eliminate some of the redundant navigation, if possible?

Fantastic idea! Noted.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I do not like the new homepage layout either. To me, it does not fit in with this being a PKI fan site. While I understand it is to celebrate FearFest, I feel that there could have been better interpretations of it. That face is a little freaky. But to each their own. It is nice to see an update to the background of the main page though.

• 2 weeks later...