Ouimet wants to bring in more families

Thankfully, it seems he is truly bringing as much "Disney" to the table as we'd all hoped. In his quotes, I can literally hear the Disney. Talking about more characters poppping up, using your smartphone to see where you can meet [Mickey] Snoopy, and most of all, making all of the parks an accessible, two-day visit. That is precisely what Disneyland sought for so long.

And remember that his impact is already felt on the parks. The Fast Lane is clearly a result from him, and it helps bring in additional revenue for the company. He clearly is an operations guy but understands the finances of the business. He clearly gets it and understands what needs to be done to continue to grow Cedar Fair as a company and make the parks prosper.

I like the technology idea. My 2 favorite things are gadgets and Kings Island. I remember like last year on an empty day my dad checked his phone on this older Kings Island app, checked turious he ride times, and there was like a 45 minute wait for Flight of Fear and Diamondback, when there was really a walk on. Luckily he updated it to 5 minutes (lowest possible) but it probably didn't matter because likely nobody was checking that app. It would be nice if there was a new Kings Island app and Kings Island updated the ride times hourly during park operation. I also am curious about new family rides, i'd love a Ferris Wheel. Did Kings Island used to have a Ferris Wheel? Or was that just a dream or something. Anyway, a Ferris Wheel would be nice.

"The vast majority of our guests come from within 300 miles," he said. "They grew up with these parks. They want it to be as good as they remember when they were kids."

This one quote is enough for me to know he "gets" it. They aren't selling widgets, they're selling an experience. That experience can't turn sour as soon as you give your money at the gate.

"It's not always what you expected that you remember. It's what you came across," Ouimet said.

I hate to sound contrived, but "charm" and "nostalgia" keep popping up in my head. It's all in the details, and that's where his Glendale experience will pay off in spades.

• Like 1

Guest TombraiderTy

I can't see KI adding wait times unless they installed electronic wait time signs like Disney has. Expecting a busy ride crew to call the wait time in, and someone to update the app isn't really realistic.

I'm baffled that the park hasn't invested in a simple queue time counter for some of the larger rides. Sure, there are the Estimated Wait Time signs that are supposedly updated by employees, but I've seen far more inaccurate times than accurate. Not to mention for some rides, like Firehawk, the sign doesn't even list high enough digits to match the queue time.

A small computer could run the system for each ride, replacing the employee. A turnstile at the entrance of the queue would count guests as they enter. Operators already count riders on each train, so each time a train departs, the number of guests in line would decrease by the number on the departing train. This would result in an accurate number of guests waiting in line. Take this, then take the average hourly capacity for the ride (although Diamondback supposedly accommodates 1620 guests per an hour, the actual number is probably substantially lower) and divide the number in line by this. This will give you how many hours the line supposedly is, which could easily be converted into minutes. The small computer running the system would post a (rounded plus five, giving room for slower operations) wait time on a small screen at the ride entrance. It'd be updated as the number in the queue increases/decreases and could easily be shut-off in the event the ride closed.

An example of the simple equation: Let's pretend Diamondback had 1,245 guests in line and its average hourly capacity was 1,000 riders (no idea how that compares to the actual number). So number in line divided by average capacity (1,245 / 1,000) would give wait time in hours (1.245), which would be 74.7 minutes. Round and plus five, the weight time sign would list 80 minutes. This would not only be listed near the ride's entrance, but it could also be sent wirelessly to a (or several) central location(s) that depict all the major ride wait times, alongside a park app for smart phones. This could help distribute crowds around the park evenly, since a family may be more likely to visit a ride with a shorter wait time versus one with a longer one.

Ride operators would have limited control over the counter. For example, they could adjust the average hourly capacity if a train was removed from the track or a row of seats was closed for whatever reason. Beyond this, the system would be off to the side and would not require a substantial amount of new work from the employees.