Everything posted by McSalsa
-
Starting to Decode 2014
If you ask me, Voyage at Holiday World has better airtime. Wildebeest in the front seat with no one else in the boat is even better. I actually rode Wildebeest with no one else in the boat. They refused to let me sit in the very front though, for some reason, which I was OK with...I wanted the middle anyway.
-
Kentucky Kingdom
I'm honestly not sure...all we have there are 2 potential ride layouts...and from the angle, etc. it is impossible to tell where and if there are any loops, huge drops, etc.
-
Kentucky Kingdom
OK, was searching through some forums and found this on ThemeParkReview, originally posted there by someone calling themselves "mudvayneimn". It's from the PDF document Ed Hart proposed in late 2012 during his pitch to re-open the park that was avaliable to the public...they are very small, but you should be able to make out the "new" stuff... The bottom 2 pictures are the interesting ones- they show the locations of the new waterslides, the proposed 2015 coaster (looks small for something that should replace Chang), and the second picture has the GL Replacement. 2 other "new" rides are pictured, both seem to have small footprints and appear to be tower rides of some sort. I'm guessing one of them is the rumored swing ride, but the other one...a Drop Tower? Does Ed Hart not realize the problems that would cause for a park that had one of these rides malfunction in the past? Again, this picture is not mine.
-
Kentucky Kingdom
^^^ Hm...yep, I'd figured that Full Throttle should cost more than that...also, CoasterRiderKI, your post link is nothing more than a tiny picture of Full Throttle's loop.
-
Kentucky Kingdom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Throttle_%28roller_coaster%29 Copy N' Paste into the response bar. Though Wikipedia gives no source for where they got that price tag...which I find a bit iffy. Then again, it is only around 2,200 feet of track or so...and nowhere near 400 feet tall like TTD and Kingda Ka are...
-
Kentucky Kingdom
Hmm...Premier Launched Catapult Coaster? Full Throttle cost a mere $6,000,000!?!? (where did you get that number? RCDB says nothing!) Hmm...well, as a Greezed' Lightning replacement, that type of coaster could work very well. If that indeed is what it is, Kentucky Kingdom's ride lineup in 2014 could be at least interesting. A fun-but-cheap small launch coaster, a fun wooden coaster (Thunder Run), a couple awesome-looking new waterslides, and all the other stuff Ed Hart says will be re-opening for 2014...if they can get that all opened. If the price for entry is right, it might be worth at least checking out for me & my family & friends...
-
Announcement: You Are Invited!
Glad you asked. You will be given a meeting time and an approximate ending time, but no activities will be announced until the day of the event. Oh...well thanks. Not 100% sure if I can make it, but I also won't be able to say I can't...so, that's that for now. Would not be suprised if Kings Island threw some awesome stuff like I listed in my OP in...or even announced Project 2014 that day...
-
Starting to Decode 2014
Well, pretty sure the "announcement" tonight was this, like 90% sure: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27756-announcement-you-are-invited/ Seems to have nothing to do with Project 2014...sorry guys.
-
Announcement: You Are Invited!
For the record...I am curious as to what the "Special Activities" planned through the day are. ERT? Beast Backstage Tours? New-for-2014 construction tour? Etc, Etc? Cause if so...this is really, really cool and interesting.
-
What ride would you not ride at Kings island.
I would pretty much go on anything at Kings Island if I could, if it were free and had no line. Now, start doing upcharges and build a line up to some point, and you'll eventually even have me saying "SCREW DIS!" to even The Beast at Night...though it's like a $20 upcharge and 5-hour line combined to make me say that.
-
Announcement: You Are Invited!
Happy 10th birthday, KICentral! (Was not expecting this though, honestly... ) Even though I have only been here, for, like, 4 of those years...then again that's still 40% or so of KICentral's lifetime! ^ I don't think so, unless you have a season pass...or something...
-
what would cedar point be today without intamin?
^^ For the record, in that poll, Son of Beast placed 136th for wooden coasters in 2000, out of 163 coasters. It was the LOWEST ranking new-for-2000 wooden coaster in the poll. Here's a link to the 2000 wood poll, there was no steel poll in 2000: http://www.ushsho.com/wcprs00.txt I'd also like to point out the Amusement Today Golden Ticket awards biggest flaw- they heavily favor rides and parks everyone has been to/ridden. This link can explain better than I can... http://www.ushsho.com/pollcomparison.htm I've learned polls aren't the be-all-end-all, and the results probably won't always reflect my own personal tastes and such, but the Mitch Hawker method is far superior to the Golden Ticket Awards methods, as it gives little-known and international rides a chance to step in the spotlight and doesn't favor coasters most would consider horrible just because they are at a big park like Cedar Point, Kings Island, one of the big Six Flags parks, etc. UPDATE: I just noticed you listed the 2005 Golden Ticket Awards...well, here's the 2005 wood poll, which has Son of Beast as the #3 WORST wooden roller coaster in the world just ahead of SFMM's ill-fated Psyclone and CGA's Grizzly... http://www.ushsho.com/detailedwoodrollercoasterpollresults2005.htm
-
Kentucky Kingdom
Hmm...there is dump truck, as in just one dump truck...which means either they need to make lots of trips with it, or it's one of these dump trucks: (Sorry, I could not resist again...) Isn't it funny how bad grammar can be so hillarious? Another example is the "All Your Base Are Belong To Us" meme...
-
How accurate are the wait time signs?
I recall that same app saying Son of Beast was open...in 2011.
-
Intimidator 305 Closed: Cable Lift Problems
^ (Crypt) I'm not sure, but I think it was for maintanance reasons. The ride was getting rough again and tearing itself up. It's rumored Gwazi is in line for a Rocky Mountain Coasters overhaul. UPDATE: Terpy beat me...cost-cutting? Ouch...what's up with you SeaWorld? (Terpy) I would have liked to have met those two...I've only been on two of their coasters (Raven & Legend at HW) but from those two already I can tell I enjoy their aggressive designs... UPDATE: Make that 3. I forgot I rode Hoosier Hurricane at Indiana Beach way back in 1999. Recall enjoying that one, too...Indiana is so good if you like CCI coasters.
-
Starting to Decode 2014
I'll be 100% honest, I seriously thought Cedar Point was getting a GCI wooden coaster named White Lightning in 2010...how wrong I was... Wait a second...(was just looking at the GCI page on RCDB a few minutes ago and goes back...) http://rcdb.com/10348.htm Well, a GCI wooden coaster named White Lightning did come to be...just not at Cedar Point.
-
Intimidator 305 Closed: Cable Lift Problems
Hmm...some quick research and, Terpy is right on this- Gwazi was GCI's 4th coaster. Hersheypark's Wildcat was actually the first, and then came the "Roar" coasters at Six Flags, followed by Gwazi, followed by Lightning Racer (AKA the ride that established GCI as a world-class wooden coaster builder)...and then they have made 15 more wooden coasters since, all of which have solid reputations. http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&co=6860&page=1&order=10 And wow, of the 20, 19 are still going strong and #20 is only SBNO because the park it was in shut down. Go GCI...hmm, to compare with CCI... http://rcdb.com/r.htm?order=10&ot=2&co=6868&page=1 Lots of good coasters here, but also a few that aren't nearly as beloved, or have fallen from grace. A couple of SBNO's and some defuncts too, but nearly all of these are because the park they were in shut down as well. And they have 34 coasters built over a 10-year peroid (CCI lasted from 1992 until 2002 according to RCDB), versus 20 over a 17-year peroid for GCI...overall CCI has a good-looking track record, but GCI seems to have a slight edge when it comes to the odds of their rides coming out and staying high-quality...then there's the "GCI did an overhaul on Boulder Dash, considered by many one of CCI's best's coasters" thing which helps GCI...
-
Intimidator 305 Closed: Cable Lift Problems
Though if you can keep your CCI running in good condition, it will reward you. Not all CCI coasters turned into bad, overly-rough rides after only a few years...some did, others did not...the parks themselves actually probably had good influence on this though. And even some GCI creations didn't end up doing so well in the end...like Gwazi. Granted, that was one of their first ones ever, but still... Also, a thread about Intimidator 305's cable lift has turned into a discussion about wooden coasters. Welcome to KICentral, folks!
-
Intimidator 305 Closed: Cable Lift Problems
...but then...who are Intamin and RMC supposed to be!?!? And is PTC the Arrow Dynamics of the wooden coaster world? Is RCCA...Vekoma? Where do CCI and Dinn Corporation fit in!?!? And what about Harry Tarver, and all those numerous OTHER wooden coaster builders!?!? Sorry...kinda had to...
-
Kentucky Kingdom
SFKK did have some incredibly cheap tickets- Hart never mentioned in that document I read about how Six Flags gave out MASSIVE discounts for that park. If I remember correctly, in 2009 (last year they were open) I saw a TV ad for SFKK where you could visit the park SIX times in a year...the price? $26 (I seriously hope I am wrong on that). A mega-discounted Kings Island ticket good for ONE visit, from Kroger that same year? $29 (95% sure on that price). And Kentucky Kingdom still barely got 600,000 people in that year...Kings Island got 3,000,000+... UPDATE: I'm not 100% certain what the price on the visit-6-times deal was, but doing some research, I did find this: http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/home/headlines/18726589.html $24.99 for tickets, undiscounted, is dirt cheap for an amusement park...
-
Kentucky Kingdom
Have to hand it to the marketing team there...they made that coaster actually sound high-tech and thrilling when in reality it was just an relocated old shuttle loop made from parts of two old shuttle loops.
-
Intimidator 305 Closed: Cable Lift Problems
^ Uh-Oh. That inspired a joke. Six Flags Management: Uh, Superman: Ride of Steel...you broke your chain. Superman: ME NO SUPERMAN RIDE! ME HULK!!! Six Flags Management: ........uhh......we're Six Flags, not Universal Studios........ Superman: HULK NO CARE!!! Six Flags Management: Fine, just don't break this chain lift. (Gives Superman a new chain) Superman: HULK RIP!!! SNAP!!! Six Flags Management: (Facepalm) Sorry, I couldn't resist that joke...
-
Intimidator 305 Closed: Cable Lift Problems
WOW...a freaking B&M breaking on its MEDIA DAY (aka first day)!?!? I'm hoping they fixed that quick... As for the Diamondback breakdown, I was talking about the kinda-well-known 2012 breakdown, I think it was May. They were able to do a quick fix of some kind, re-open the ride with 2 trains running or something, and then closed it for a week for repairs. Beast was put on ERT duty that week, since 2012 ERT was Diamondback & Invertigo. This was really horribly timed- WindSeeker had yet to open for the 2012 season, Delirium was having major issues, Drop Tower had been struck by freaking LIGHTNING... And the Millennium Force cable incident, I found this, it happened in 2009: http://pointbuzz.com/Forums/Thread/24106.aspx
-
Intimidator 305 Closed: Cable Lift Problems
Ouch. Reminds me of when Millennium Force's cable lift broke a few years ago...granted chain lifts can break too, but that rarely happens on new rides, and here's a coaster that opened in 2010...well then again even Diamondback went down several days a while back, due to a broken footer or something...
-
Kentucky Kingdom
Well, I read the Late 2012 version of the Ed Hart proposal (PDF format) to the state last night...I am no longer thinking this will be an Intamin Impulse, because on one of the "new ride location" diagrams, there was a map drawing of GL's old location and one of those "red lines that show layout" for the new ride...it didn't take much room, but it appeared to at the very least be a full-circuit coaster of some sort, apparently with a helix. So, unless plans have changed, this appears to not be some shuttle coaster of any kind...though I could be wrong. Also, there were pictures of Ed Hart's proposed waterpark expansion's slides that will be going in Chang's old spot along with the Action River- I did a quick search and was able to find a picture of them on google: I have to say, based on the slides I have been on at Holiday World...these look awesome, save the fact I may be forced to haul an inner tube up 75+ feet of stairs. As for Kings Island's new-for-2014 coaster being superior to KK's...I'd say there's a 90% chance it will be, since the Kings Island ride is probably going to be massive and cost over $20,000,000+ and this will either be some small/used attraction...unless Ed Hart has somehow gotten this coaster used for $7 million... In which case, I will already be buying one of those $60 Kentucky Kingdom season passes when the park opens . But even though this ride could fit in KK, I don't see it selling for under $10 million at the cheapest...so I doubt it. Ed Hart has also said this ride would be "new", and since he didn't call GL new when it was added in 2003, I don't think this is a re-location, but some form of relatively cheap new coaster. And, as Terpy did just bring up (I was taking forever making this post BTW and this topic got fairly active)...yeah, there is still a chance KK won't be able to re-open at all, or will fail horribly and only last a few seasons at most. Then you have the whole Holiday World fiasco, will Lori Koch be willing to build onto and add to a park she might not even own depending the outcome of the court battle (possibly hurting the park)? Meanwhile, Kings Island is about to add a new monster roller coaster, and for now is under stable management...so many possible outcomes from this scenario...head hurts now...