Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Kings Island Central Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

disco2000

Members
  • Joined

Everything posted by disco2000

  1. Looks like someone that was banned from this site last year for actions regarding the show is now trying to get banned from the park (if they decide to do anything about it). In Terpy fashion, this is my cryptic message and folks familiar with the situation can probably figure out what the issue is...
  2. I love the Ohio State analogy, but yes (fortunately or unfortunately) I know folks that would gladly volunteer their time to paint the end zone the right shade of red if the current condition was deemed unacceptable! I also know folks that donate money yearly to the Ohio State athletic program, and we know that their program makes enough revenue to not necessarily need the donation. I am sure I spend my discretionary time on stuff that others would think is stupid and/or a waste of time. Each of us make a decision on how to spend our discretionary time/money - personally as long as it is rule and/or law abiding, I am learning/working on acceptance/recognition of things that I might not necessarily do myself. If each of us were the same, I think life would be boring.
  3. I like the change as well and certainly makes more sense to do it right before guests are admitted through the gate. This also brings up what we all know about how anyone can post something negative, whether accurate or not, and the internet community runs with it. I remember seeing posts on the Kings Island Facebook page from folks complaining that the National Anthem isn't sung anymore and the negative posts about KI being unpatriotic, etc. Even though KI itself replied to the post that it is sung at 9:30 everyday, trolls never read any of the comments and continued to bash for KI not performing the National Anthem. I am certainly glad my job isn't in the media relations business because dealing with trolls and inaccurate information would make that job difficult - when to reply, when not to, how much do you engage in the discussion, etc.
  4. To each their own. Almost everybody does something that someone else doesn't understand - whether it be spending too much time commenting on a fan site forum, Facebook, etc., or playing a sport way too much, volunteering, visiting Kings Island too many times, collecting stamps or coins, riding a particular ride 10,000 times, etc. I would bet he spent less time on that organ than some members have spent commenting on this forum - and guess what - many of the comments on this forum talk up how great the park is and someone could be doing a search of Kings Island and find a post talking about how great Kings Island is and decide to visit the park when they may not have otherwise done so. So, in a way, posting positive things about Kings Island is volunteering your time indirectly to benefit a company that "profits millions of dollars" as you say... I guess you also don't understand why people volunteer to work the Kings Island Kicks Cancer (a lot of those folks "harassing" guests to kick a soccer ball are volunteers). I mean after all, Kings Island and all the partners (Great Clips, Q102, etc.) are all companies that make money and could donate way more to the cause than will be generated by selling the soccer balls. A few members on this forum are probably a salaried employee and essentially "donate" time in excess of 40 hours/week to their respective employer, of which many employers probably are making enough money and could compensate. I guess you don't understand that either? Fact of the matter is, at the end of the day, many volunteer opportunities benefit a multi-million dollar organization, whether it be profit or non-profit really is not relevant. Even at non-profit organizations, they do have staff on payroll. This kid's goodwill will go a long way - on the resume and in life and may turn into a job with Cedar Fair, etc. and for that I applaud him. Many people appreciate the sound of the organ and the feelings and emotions it invokes. When people show an appreciation to the park, who knows, it may be the start of the park tending to the little things that could all be traced back to this simple volunteer gesture.
  5. The reason most guests don't realize the magnitude of their actions is because we have gotten to soft in our country - enforce these rules with dire consequences and you will see such actions stop. When people on the Racer hear the spiel about putting away camera and such offender does not and riders witnesses zero consequence for such action, you are now encouraging a rider to pull out camera on their next ride... I think ejecting a patron for violating a rule that puts others at risk of severe injury/death is appropriate. Especially if it is stated in writing on the sign and said in spiel. As for as what the park can do - ban loose items all-together and confirm empty pockets. My last visit to Dollywood this summer, they had "temporary signs" indicating that a rider should not ride with any loose items and they indicated coins, keys, cell phones, as loose items. These signs could be one of two things - either this was a soft implementation and they will start enforcing a loose item policy OR legal told them placing signs would limit their liability in the event of the flying cell phone. I did witness where a ride-op saw someone with a cell phone out in the line and made such person put cell phone in bin before riding.
  6. Regarding food service, I cannot get into specifics, but it comes down to training, or lack thereof. Speaking of food service today - I saw a teenage girl denied being served at the pretzel place for attire the employee said was "offensive". She was in a "U Mad Bro" t-shirt and shorts.
  7. Really? Really?? Wait a minute. That was your take-away? In a discussion where we're simply advocating for taking some simple, relatively harmless precautions in the off-chance something goes wrong, that's your take-away? You do know that amusement parks are full of safety features put in place in the off chance something goes wrong, right? Roller coaster control systems are so redundant that it's almost impossible to have a collision without a human override. Rider restraints are redundant, both in terms of a combo of seat belts and shoulder/lap bars, and redundant mechanisms behind at least the bars. Security systems are throughout the park. Cameras on the rides, cameras all over the buildings (especially at KI). Security guards walking all around the park in a way that is very non-Disney Magic™. There already is a certain amount of safety and precaution built into the modern amusement park. And you think that it's a ludicrous idea to separate children from adults unknown to them while on a ride? You think it's a ludicrous idea to want a little bit of personal space on a roller coaster rather than being shoved up against someone's sweaty body? And to suggest that I should have to waste a ticket so that I am not made feel uncomfortable at the park? What's this, Personal Space Plus wristbands? Is that when you want more than two inches of personal space? Really?? Wow. Let me put this another way: You don't always have to wait for a specific incident to occur in order to take preventative measures. Sometimes it's best to prevent that which is predictable. Something will always go wrong. It's like a universal law. That doesn't mean that nothing is predictable. If I'm driving down the road and someone is headed right at me, should I do nothing? No, thanks. I'll surely maneuver my vehicle in a way to avoid a crash. I know more about amusement parks and rides than most (and will just leave it at that). I was making a point that almost everything can be taken to an extreme. As was quickly researched by someone (but not confirmed), it appears more people have been killed while riding a ride than being molested on a ride. Someone can probably do the research and find out if more people died on rides than being molested on a ride. I also think it is predictable that more people will claim about being injured on rides than will those that claim they were molested on a ride. Adding more harnesses to secure a rider in a roller coaster is a harmless precaution in the off-chance someone's physical dimensions do not fit the design of the intended safety devices. Will it happen - not until someone that didn't fit the intended design is ejected from such ride. I am in no way trying to downplay molestation as I think it is horrible and personally have friends that were victims of such an event, I just think it is more than likely to happen in a restroom or by a step-parent/lover at the moment or a relative than it is to happen on a roller coaster. Sometimes a parent needs to take responsibility/precautions. The park cannot be held responsible for everything. I know that on more than one occasion, I have had my child on one side of me on the Kite Eating Tree and the ride op asked me if it was ok if another child sat next to me because the child's responsible adult couldn't ride (either pregnant, watching a smaller sibling, etc.). So I guess you would be a kill-joy and ruin the kids day? I know in every instance the child had a blast and the responsible adult thanked me as it prevented a meltdown of their child. In most instances, the adult took a video of their child enjoying the ride, providing video evidence their child was not touched, in addition to everyone watching...
  8. Let's all act like nothing could ever go wrong. Then, when something does go wrong, let's all be outraged that no preventative measures were ever taken. Seems legit. Under this type of thinking (playing the what if game), we should just shut down amusement parks - someone may die while on a ride or get ejected. Someone may slip on the steps walking up to a ride. Someone may choke and die on a corndog. Someone may drown at Soak City. Someone may step in a pothole and fall out into driving lane and get hit by a car. Someone may....you get the point. You may get killed on the roads leading to an amusement park, so you should probably just not go. Let's play the "what if" about someone getting ejected from a roller coaster. Here is the solution: how about a 5-point harness, Hans device, helmet, fully enclose the train so that someone cannot put their hands up, etc. and if someone would still get out of all the safety devices, the enclosure would keep them within the ride. How many of you would ride it then? Or better yet, let's just not have a roller coaster for the "what if"... Life it full of risks. The point I have tried to make, as well as Browntggrr, is that there are other risks in the park as well that are more likely to happen than being molested on a coaster. Again, if it happens, the violator is strapped in and can be dealt with a lot easier than if it happens elsewhere... If you are that concerned about being a solo rider and getting paired up with a kid that makes a false accusation - it is MUCH MORE likely to happen in a restroom than a coaster full of people/witnesses. I guess you hold it all day? And if you have to go, you drive home to use your own toilet? I am not saying we shouldn't be doing "What if" analysis, but like almost everything, it can be taken to paranoia levels. If you are that concerned, rent the park out all to yourself.
  9. Using the logic of Banshee is newer and therefore will not be dropped from the plus list and replaced with Diamondback, then why isn't their newest ride Woodstock Gliders on the plus? BTW - Diamondback crew last night around 7pm was pumping out the trains like I hadn't seen in a long time. Many trains were dispatched before the previous train hit MCBR. One ride I had we didn't stop until we came back into the station. "Normal" operation seems to be to sit out on the track near the transfer station and we slowed but didn't stop.
  10. Wow - I continue to be, not quite sure of the right word, at some of the comments in this thread. Do those that prefer to ride alone never ride a bus, subway, go to a theater, sporting event, etc. For those afraid of being accused of something, do you not use the restroom at Kings Island? All these places are more likely for something to happen than on a ride. Come on, you are on a ride for usually around 2 minutes with a person strapped in. If they do something, make a scene as the ride enters the station yelling to keep the restraints locked and call for security. The violator isn't going anywhere - same can't be said if it happens in a restroom, bus, sporting event, etc - the violator is long gone before security could arrive. What is ironic - many that are complaining about riding solo and the "risks" associated with it take part in KIC "meet-ups", both at the park and overnight stays elsewhere?! Personally I would be more concerned about that than someone sitting next to me for a two minute ride. Many of you spill your life on this forum, making you an easy target for a pedophile to select and "friend" and take advantage of. If you are that concerned about riding solo, then don't ride solo and always come with a friend. If said friend wants to sit a ride, you sit too. Plain and simple. There are much bigger risks in the park than riding solo. An empty seat decreases capacity - on some rides even more so than such seat being occupied by a FastLane user.
  11. Wow - sorry to hear so many have a negative experience about being paired up with someone on a ride! I personally never had a problem with it. I have had some great experiences and discussions being paired up - even as recently as last week - I got paired up on Diamondback with someone there celebrating her 50th birthday (she had the birthday pin on). On the lift hill, she told me she had never rode Diamondback and was doing it for her 50th birthday. The people in front of us heard it (they were not with her) and started singing Happy Birthday to her - next thing you know, the entire train sang Happy Birthday to her - it was pretty cool. We got off the ride and she said that was the best ride ever. Do those that not like being paired up not ride Drop Tower, Viking, Congo, etc.? The way I look at it is that if I got paired with a nut that was truly off their rocker or did something illegal, you just make a lot of noise and tell an associate on the way in to lock the train and call security. Isn't like the perp could get far in a locked train! I have seen that happen once.
  12. This brings up a great point that is often overlooked and folks believe the frenzy FB has created - I can't believe how many folks I hear at KI that said they are "friends" with the Cirque Imagine performers because they are friends on FB. Umm, they are performers and will either "friend" everyone because of their chosen profession or keep their page private (and some may actually have a public and private FB page for that very reason). Just because you are friends with someone on FB doesn't mean that you are really friends. Many people are "friends" with celebrities on FB, but it isn't like you have their phone number and can call them and have lunch...
  13. ^^so true! Look around almost any table and you will see groups of "friends" sitting at a table, each with their phone in their hand having conversations, etc. with the phone and not actual person-to-person interaction with those around them. Same thing in line for rides! Sad times. Social media is actually making most anti-social... Interesting when you meet someone for the first time and within 1 minute I hear "Lets become friends on FB" - Umm, I prefer real friends, not the opportunity to up a friend count on social media...If someone wants to talk to me, it isn't going to be through social media...
  14. My friend had a picture of the pass on their phone and they were able to scan it at the gate. Such pass was in their mom's purse at home, so she sent a picture to their phone. So provided they could get a picture taken clearly showing the barcode, they might have that option, provided gramps has a smartphone
  15. Looks like bring-a-friend Sundays are becoming commonplace - another one this Sunday (7/12) - let's hope KI is better prepared to handle than on 6/28!
  16. In my experience riding and watching it, I think the lower weight of the occupants has something to do with it being able to snap. I watched a father and son get in one and didn't snap, and when the son went back and rode without the dad it snapped. I think if the ride cycle was longer, an average size adult could snap them cause you would get some momentum behind it, but with the shorter cycle, it benefits those that don't way as much because the slightest touch of the wing is more dramatic. That doesn't mean an adult cannot snap them in its current configuration, because I have seen that as well (albeit not a very noticeable snap)!
  17. I have always received a credit card receipt at KI for items well below $25. One scoop of ice cream and I got a receipt... Typical of the training it seems the employees get - non-existent and/or inconsistent.
  18. The train, in recent memory anyway, has always operated until closing time and was operational all season. Last year, they were working on it and it took several weeks before it operated (perhaps because the season started "earlier" than normal). They typically only run one train in the beginning of the season.
  19. Change from previous years - the train does not run until park closing - it stops at 9pm...
  20. Seems like you wouldn't want to walk the "Losers" through what went wrong to encourage them to cough up the cash to do it again
  21. Ughh - Channel 12 (WKRC) just did a story about it - but it isn't on their website yet. Basically as mentioned above - you go into a building and have 60 minutes to solve clues and get out of it - at least that was the reporter said! By reservation only...
  22. Why pay someone to QA/QC every document and web posting when the KIC community does it for free for them on this forum! Come to think about, what a clever way to test out changes during the off-season. The average park guest probably isn't scouring the KI website now, so test things like dining windows on already purchased passes, etc. and see what our community has to say about it. Let's face it, most of us are probably quick to point out issues on this forum, but most here probably do not then post issue to the more heavily viewed KI Facebook page. Let us be the testing ground for changes and see our reaction and make modifications as necessary (such as removing the dining window) and save themselves grief from the everyday idiot posting garbage and negative information on the Facebook page! Most are aware of the crazy posts on Facebook and we even have a thread talking about it!
  23. Nope - two seasons ago (I think) an upgrade was made that allowed for re-entry by using the pass again. I seem to recall it even saying such on the TV screens at the exit.
  24. Where is this King's Island place that it says my gold pass is good for (bottom of PDF)? Also note it says you need a hand-stamp for re-entry, which is contrary to the past two seasons...
  25. Since they have still added a condition not present at time of fall purchase, should the thread be renamed again as there is still a change to the 2015 Dining Plan? Maybe the first condition is (Update: Not happening), but a change is indeed now happening...
Background Picker

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.