Flight Of Fear Lights On

jondrewfoo

I was wondering how and when do they allow people if they do at all to ride the Flight of Fear with the lights on. My friend was talking about how when he rode it once it was lights on for one reason or another, and it sounds like a neat experience to have done. i was wondering why do they do this? do they do it when it malfunctions, or like a special day once a month, or randomly, or what. i really want to ride it with the lights on...

Your friend probably meant that he rode it when it was lightER. Supposedly Flight of Fear is not as dark as it used to be because of dim safety lights. Last year was the first time I rode it, so I can not confirm if it really is lighter. If there are bright lights in Flight of Fear, they probably only turn them on for maintenance. Yet again, I've been wrong before.....

Supposedly Flight of Fear is not as dark as it used to be because of dim safety lights.

Last year was the first time I rode it too, there were some floodlights down on the floor pointing up into the track (four i think) but since that was my first time IDK if they are new, or original?

I rode Flight of Fear just a few days ago, and having been to the park since I was very young, I have ridden it many many many many times. And I can definitely say that it is BRIGHTER in there than it used to be. I wouldn't exactly call it lights on, but I can tell you that it is a lot easier to see in there than it once used to be. One disappointing thing is the stop/slow down that occurs about halfway through. It kills the buzz for about 4.6 seconds... but it's still an awesome ride... one of my faves.

I rode Flight of Fear just a few days ago, and having been to the park since I was very young, I have ridden it many many many many times. And I can definitely say that it is BRIGHTER in there than it used to be. I wouldn't exactly call it lights on, but I can tell you that it is a lot easier to see in there than it once used to be. One disappointing thing is the stop/slow down that occurs about halfway through. It kills the buzz for about 4.6 seconds... but it's still an awesome ride... one of my faves.

Are you sure it's 4.6... not 4.8? :rolleyes:

I'm not totally against the mid course brakes. Realistically, (especially for first time riders) it's that split second where you can look around and really appreciate the tangled web of track you are in.

I remember back in last September Ryan, Dane, Zoso, and I as well as a few others were invited to the park to help film the fearfest commercial and we got to ride FOF 3 times in a row with the lights on! That was a nice day, wake up, go to school, leave school early, go to KI, dress up as a monster, rider fof 3 times, go have dinner.

mm, i would really like to ride it with the lights on, they should have one car a day in which they do so, and you sign up for it at the beginning of the day or whatnot. maybe one day a month... for like half a day. also, if you look at The Beastbuzz pictures i think 05 on here, they have tons of pictures of inside Flight of Fear, including the king cobra cars, they are really neat.

The lights inside the dome take about 10 minutes to come on completely and they have to be turned on from inside the dome.

There's just no way... two years ago or so, "Dirty Steve" and I rode it in the pre-season about 4 or 5 times in a row with the lights off. We then talked the ride op into letting us have a light on ride and she turned them on from the control booth.

the first time I rode it in 99, it was completely black and really fast. every time I've ridden it since, it's been brighter and slower. Personally, I liked it better when I couldn't see anything.

The lights inside the dome take about 10 minutes to come on completely and they have to be turned on from inside the dome.

There's just no way... two years ago or so, "Dirty Steve" and I rode it in the pre-season about 4 or 5 times in a row with the lights off. We then talked the ride op into letting us have a light on ride and she turned them on from the control booth.

How did you ride it in the pre-season?

I remember there being a switch in the building to turn them on, however, I'm assuming CF probably added a switch in the control booth, wouldn't be very hard. I've walked around in the bowl and up the stairs to the brake run in the morning for tests, quite a workout, and it's definitely taller then it looks at the brake run.

There's more than one set of lights though. There are lights that they use at the end of the night and such if someone looses an article that are controlled by a light switch, however the GIANT spotlights and beacons inside that are used when maintainance are doing work are controlled by a breaker box inside the dome. We'd use them on cleanup when we'd lock out and they would take about 10 minutes before they were practly blinding.

(Also the pre-season refers to the time before June as the season is considered between June and August, after is called post-season)

I can actually remember the season before last when it was almost tradition for the ops to ask the riders of the last train on what was preferable...light on, off, or half and half. I typically prefered half and half...it was great to ride the ride in the dark and then at the break run slowly have the lights power up...and vice versa. But as of recently that tradition has kind of fallen by the wayside.

One disappointing thing is the stop/slow down that occurs about halfway through. It kills the buzz for about 4.6 seconds... but it's still an awesome ride... one of my faves.

Really? I like that part. It gives you a nice break, and a chance to stop and consider how horribly twisted upon itself the track is. I think I'd like to ride it with the lights on - it'd be a bit more terrifying.

Although, considering it, utter darkness would be pretty spiffy as well, *especially* with the mid-ride brake (if you were riding it with a first-timer, they'd think, "oh, whew, the ride's over" for about a second, and then immediately pee their pants).

Well that really doesn't make since though is, for years after they installed the lap bars the mid course brake was off. What is the reason for it anyway, when they only run 2 trains, with 3 trains I could see the reason behind that. The only thing I can think of they turned it back on for rider comfort. Or to help with keeping maintenance down. I have no clue. Several weeks ago, my friend was sitting behind me in the front car, and she freaked out when we stopped there, cause she didn't remember that happening before. I told her that is normal now, unfortunately. I think she freaked out a little cause you can feel the train/track shaking underneath you.

If you think FoF shakes violently at the mid course brake, you should experience riding Vortex when you come to a complete stop in the mid course brake run! I had the privilege of experiencing that multiple times for a commercial shoot back in September of 2005.

Been there, done that, several times In the back car. It shakes badly back there when you stop in the block at Vortex. When your in the back car, your car is leaning to the right cause your still on that curve a little. I've even had the pleasure of walking up all of the stairs to a stopped train up there in 2001.

Its really a mixed bag with those coasters. When I rode FoF at PKD they stopped us completely then released us. However, on Jokers Jinx at SFA, they do not even have breaks in that section, just a flat piece of track.

For those of you who have never seen FoF with the lights on, it looks like this only grey.

p986.jpg

^This ride has no mid-course break^

Its really a mixed bag with those coasters. When I rode FoF at PKD they stopped us completely then released us. However, on Jokers Jinx at SFA, they do not even have breaks in that section, just a flat piece of track.

For those of you who have never seen FoF with the lights on, it looks like this only grey.

p986.jpg

^This ride has no mid-course break^

Wow. I had no idea. I thought KI's FOF was totally unique. It's weird to be able to see the whole thing like that. The layout of both coasters is the same?