What Makes 14?

coaster_junky

Could it be because of the fact that Avatar and all similar Zamperla rides are not complete circuit rides, but are merely shuttle mode rides with only one train? And as odd as it sounds, I do believe that Great America does NOT consider their Survivor ride (same model as KI`s Avatar, except the seats are oriented in a ring and face outward) a coaster.

I am certainly not putting words on Interps keyboard but I think he is saying the same thing when I say this. RCDB.com picks and chooses what they define as a "roller coaster", and the enthusiast community looks to that web site for info more than can be imagined. The whole industry does. There is no real set in stone definition for "roller coaster", yes it is in Webster's, but what I am trying to say is the definition varies depending on who you are talking about. This is true even from one manufacture to another. RCDB.com is a good web site, don't get me wrong, but they tend to pick and choose there definitions to certain words and they are not the only ones. Besides in my opinion 1, 10, or 50 roller coasters it doesn't matter to me, as long as I am having fun.

I think that our KI commercials here say Firehawk is the 14th coaster.

I couldn't figure out how they came up with 14 either. They could count racer/recar as 2, since they have different trains and completely different tracks.

deb

Beast

SOB

Racer (forwards)

Racer (backwards)

AE

TG

F/O

FoF

FH

Vortex

RR

FOC

IJST

I would have to say that ANY launch coaster is a powered coaster... so should they 'not' be included? But I coundted 14! -Hauntguy

You forgot Little Bill's Giggle Coaster and I'm pretty sure they count Racer as one.

According to RCDB:

Powered Coaster - a roller coaster that is electrically powered throughout the entire ride.

A launch coaster is not being continuously launched through the ride. It has a certain part of the track where it gains it's energy (just like a lift hill that's not elevated) and then for the rest of the ride it "rolls" and "coasts".

For another vuiewpoint:

At CoasterMania and CoasterEXT (coaster enthusiasts events held at Cedar Point and Geauga Lake, respectively), they sold a souvenir event shirt with a "2007 All Ohio Coaster Odyseey" deisgn on the front, and on the back they listed all of Cedar Fair's coasters in Ohio.

Of interest: they included Avatar on their listing.

I'm thinking about wearing that shirt to 080407...

I think that our KI commercials here say Firehawk is the 14th coaster.

I couldn't figure out how they came up with 14 either. They could count racer/recar as 2, since they have different trains and completely different tracks.

deb

that is what is confusing mebecause on this web site they call avatar a family ride not a roller coaster and if you count what they have listed as roller coasters there is only 13 unless you count The Racers as to sepperate rides

Beast

SOB

Racer (forwards)

Racer (backwards)

AE

TG

F/O

FoF

FH

Vortex

RR

FOC

IJST

I would have to say that ANY launch coaster is a powered coaster... so should they 'not' be included? But I coundted 14! -Hauntguy

but i thought that The Racers were counted as one coaster just as twisted sisters at sfkk are considered one, and gemini at Cedar Point are considered one

What is and is not a roller coaster and how to count twin coaster(s) is a subject for endless debate.

And that ride at Kentucky Kingdom has for some time been known as Twisted Twins. Seems a certain band took umbrage at the name it was formerly given (or more likely, that they had not been compensated for use of their name).

• 1 month later...
What is and is not a roller coaster and how to count twin coaster(s) is a subject for endless debate.

And that ride at Kentucky Kingdom has for some time been known as Twisted Twins. Seems a certain band took umbrage at the name it was formerly given (or more likely, that they had not been compensated for use of their name).

Actually, it was not the entire band Twisted Sister that took umbrage at the name. It was just the guitar player, JJ Finch, whom owns all the rights to the Twisted Sister name. Coincidentally, he produced a couple of albums for my favorite band...Sevendust.

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to say it. Did they play "We're not going to take it" when the band found out about the name and wasn't getting any compensation for likeness rights?

I just have to say it. Did they play "We're not going to take it" when the band found out about the name and wasn't getting any compensation for likeness rights?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I wouldn't be surprised. ;)

I e-mailed KI today and this is what they wrote:

Jackson,

Here are the 14 roller coasters at Kings Island:

Wooden Roller Coasters

- The Beast

- The Racer

- Son of Beast

Steel Coasters

- Adventure Express

- Vortex

- Face/Off

- Firehawk

- Flight of Fear

- Italian Job: Stunt Track

- Top Gun

Kids Coasters

- Fairly Odd Coaster

- Rugrats Runaway Reptar

- Little Bill’s Giggle Coaster

New roller coasters will be built at Kings Island in the foreseeable future. What year and what kind will be announced when the information becomes available.

Of the 14 roller coasters at Kings Island, which one is your favorite?

Don Helbig

Public Relations Area Manager

Kings Island

6300 Kings Island Drive

Kings Island, Ohio 45034

Direct: (513) 754-5797

E-mail: DHelbig@paramountparks.com

www.pki.com

Halloween Haunt at Kings Island

Everyone's Dying to Get In!

I copied and paseted the E-Mail, un edited.