Cedar Fair Wants Compensation from 49ers

That`s odd. The link seems to work just fine for me.

Yes, Cedar Fair is wanting some compensation from the 49ers for this, and for good reason. Not only would California`s Great America be loosing its overflow parking lot, they would also be loosing some operating days. Cedar Fair would not open the park on days when there are football games, which are Sundays in September and October. This would lead to lost revenue from the Sundays in which the park will sit empty because of the football games.

Since Cedar Fair does not own the land that Great America sits on (the Santa Clara Redevelopment Agency actually owns the land) they are looking after their interests. Ultimately, it is not their call, but I`m sure they have stipulations in their lease that gives them some say with the city of Santa Clara about what can be built in the parking lot and what concessions have to be made to keep Cedar Fair happy. (In addition to the lease payments from Cedar Fair, I believe that the city also gets a small percentage of revenue from ticket sales at Great America). So it is in the city`s interest to keep Cedar Fair happy.

Okay I realize that the stadium location isn't the best for Great America but is it really that horrible. First as stated it's not even Cedar Fairs land so I don't get how they can be such a big dog in the fight. What bothers me I guess more is that say they MUST close during the games so they are gonna lose all kinds of money. Yes closing would make them lose money but why is it a must to close. Yes they would lose some overflow parking but can't they also turn football guests into theme park guests. Perhaps Cedar Fair should be a little nicer to the stadium and perhaps even create NFL days at the park. It could be an upcharge but one that well if your right beside it why not go. I think perhaps they are looking at spectators as the drinking, loud and insane fans and not the family that is taking a trip to the game. Both are there and I think Great America could actually gain from the stadium being there if they worked closer with them.

Okay I realize that the stadium location isn't the best for Great America but is it really that horrible. First as stated it's not even Cedar Fairs land so I don't get how they can be such a big dog in the fight. What bothers me I guess more is that say they MUST close during the games so they are gonna lose all kinds of money. Yes closing would make them lose money but why is it a must to close. Yes they would lose some overflow parking but can't they also turn football guests into theme park guests. Perhaps Cedar Fair should be a little nicer to the stadium and perhaps even create NFL days at the park. It could be an upcharge but one that well if your right beside it why not go. I think perhaps they are looking at spectators as the drinking, loud and insane fans and not the family that is taking a trip to the game. Both are there and I think Great America could actually gain from the stadium being there if they worked closer with them.

Just look at the city of Houston they built a new football stadium next to the Astrodome and Astroworld had to close down do to poor parking.

Not necessarily.

Cedar Fair is just one stumbling block on this long stadium road. The Forty-Niners' figures don't add up very well, and they may well only be playing Santa Clara against San Fran to get the deal they want from San Fran.

As to why Cedar Fair has a big voice in this even if they don't own the land, they DO have a long term lease. A lease that currently allows them unfettered use of the parking lot, including where the stadium and its business would intrude. Such a use would devalue Cedar Fair's lease, for which it expects compensation.

Okay I realize that the stadium location isn't the best for Great America but is it really that horrible. First as stated it's not even Cedar Fairs land so I don't get how they can be such a big dog in the fight.

Hypothetically speaking...

Say you rent a home with a backyard.

Then the landlord decides to have a stag-n-drag in the same backyard that you have a signed lease for. And on top of that, you can't use your driveway on that day due to not having enough off street parking, so his guests are now going to use it.

Now have the same party 10 times a year for the 49ers. Plus any other events that would occur during the year such as college games, soccar games, concerts etc.

How big is that dog now?

Excellent analogy! Don't forget that your lease with that landlord is for many, many years...the rent is based, at least in part, on your income, and if you leave early, there are substantial penalties, unless the landlord and you agree to let you leave. And that you don't HAVE to leave, and can stop the party in the backyard if you really, really want to...as you have the right to quiet enjoyment of the property you have leased.

And, in the grand scheme of things, what does beating the Bengals in prime time mean for the 49ers? Not a thing. They still are a horrible team with no playoff hopes what so ever. Plus, the Bengals are pretty sorry this year too. Not to mention that I don't really care considering that I am an Eagles fan.